Time to stat pulling out of states?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 09:20:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Time to stat pulling out of states?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time to stat pulling out of states?  (Read 1139 times)
JohnCA246
mokbubble

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »

Alright, I want to win IN, MT, etc as much as any of you, but what good would it do?  After 270 EV's everything is superfluous.  Is there any chance IN or NC would be a tiebreaker?  I'm beginning to think no, and its time to focus on our best chances to 270.  Id say putting money into IA would be more of a priority to NC, because it is a key component of getting 270.

Perhaps one more round of polls is needed, but starting Oct 1.  I would limit my approach to

Kerry states+

NV, CO, NM, IA, FL, OH, and VA.

If I were McCain Id target Bush states plus WI, PA, NH, and MI.  If things don't look promising in two weeks, Id refine that to Bush states only, but he needs to see if his gains in PA and MI hold. 

What do you all think?  I admit I'm a minimalist with strategy.  Now that it is getting crunch time I just hope we stop worrying about a landslide and worry about 270.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 08:31:36 PM »

If I were Obama, I'd focus on these states:

He has plenty of funds to divide among these states, and he can pull out of places as polling dictates.  But these are good places to start.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »

Obama definitely should not pull out of North Carolina or Indiana. The more baskets we put our eggs in the better. I except him to begin shifting all of the staffers from MT and ND and about half from Wisconsin and Iowa into Michigan and Indiana. I'd also think about abandoning Missouri in place of Indiana (or possibly vice versa). If the election tightens significantly or if McCain retakes a 1-2% lead, I would shift focus from North Carolina into Virginia, but as long as we're tied or ahead and McCain is also contesting North Carolina, I don't think we should abandon it.

For McCain, I would get out of Iowa, since that's probably a lost cause at this point. I'd probably also put staffers into Indiana. If the public polls are true, he can't really ignore it for much longer.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »

I still think MT, IN, and NC COULD go to Obama, but if they do I think the election is already over.  I just cant see him winning these and losing say OH and CO
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »

I still think MT, IN, and NC COULD go to Obama, but if they do I think the election is already over.  I just cant see him winning these and losing say OH and CO
MT I think is kind of pointless at this point, so I agree there. Indiana, I think could potentially flip before Ohio, if McCain continues to ignore it and the current polls coming out of there are true. North Carolina probably doesn't flip before Virginia, but, if the Bradley Effect manifest itself, and Obama ends up underpolling in MI or PA and losing one of them and Ohio, then I think there's still a chance that, with higher than normal youth and black turnout, Obama could win Virginia and North Carolina. That's really a Plan G strategy though, but it's possible.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »

Yeah, I suppose IN warrants another round of polling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies