German court strikes down harshest sanctions against jobseekers on welfare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:56:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German court strikes down harshest sanctions against jobseekers on welfare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German court strikes down harshest sanctions against jobseekers on welfare  (Read 905 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: November 05, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »

Hartz IV: German court slaps down harshest sanctions against jobseekers

Germany's top court ruled Tuesday that sanctioning jobseekers deemed uncooperative in the search for work was illegal in some cases, in a blow to the controversial unemployment reforms rammed through by Gerhard Schröder's government in 2005.

Judges at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe said that the total cut in benefits should never be allowed to exceed 30 percent, and in cases where lower payments would cause "extraordinary hardship", no penalties should be imposed at all.

The sanctions allowed under Germany's so-called Hartz IV benefits system, which combines social welfare and long-term unemployment payments, have long been controversial with critics saying they violate the right to a dignified existence.

Under the current rules, a jobseeker's monthly dole can be docked if they fail to turn up for a job interview, turn down employment or miss training opportunities.

In extreme cases, recipients can lose up to 60 percent of their benefits -- and repeat offenders can be cut off altogether for three months.

But judges in Karlsruhe found that the 60-percent reduction was "unreasonable given that the burden it entails seriously encroaches upon the minimum standard of living guaranteed by fundamental rights."

Furthermore, judges said that a 30-percent dole cut was "only permissible if the sanction can be waived in cases of extreme hardship" and if its three-month duration can be shortened depending on the jobseeker's cooperation.

[...]

Full Article

I have mixed feelings on the ruling. Generally, I support sanctions for jobseekers who live on welfare rolls but either refuse to take a work or are unwilling to participate in (useful) training programs. Some politicians, including many SPD members, would like to get rid of all sanctions, which I think would be a hit in the face of those who get up every morning and go to work.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »

I kept waiting for there to be a "oh, well yeah, that's messed up" moment while reading, and it never happened.  These people just want free money with NO responsibilities on them, and that don't flow with me.  Are they so lazy they can't accept the jobs and then get fired for incompetence before lunch?  Leaving the house for reasons that are not their own once every 5 months is just too much for these leaches?

Some for sure, yes, though studies also have shown most jobseekers are indeed engaged. The media attention is just more on the smaller group who's indeed unwilling to contribute. A major problem of the system is the bureaucracy and a lot of inefficient job training programs. Often they are used to clean the statistics, because every jobseeker in such a program is no longer officially unemployed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies