What was the biggest surprise in your state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:31:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What was the biggest surprise in your state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What was the biggest surprise in your state?  (Read 4273 times)
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »

Nothing really,

Its California a democratic sweep was expected and it happened.

I guess the fact that no republican could come within a couple of points of victory even here in California where despite massive low voter turnout could be a bit of a surprise and futures the point that the GOP is so so dead here.

A couple of the vulnerable assembly seats flipping wasn't surprising, just disappointing.

I'm surprised that Vidak and Cannella in those super super Democratic senate districts held on so handily.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

Nothing really,

Its California a democratic sweep was expected and it happened.

I guess the fact that no republican could come within a couple of points of victory even here in California where despite massive low voter turnout could be a bit of a surprise and futures the point that the GOP is so so dead here.

A couple of the vulnerable assembly seats flipping wasn't surprising, just disappointing.

I'm surprised that Vidak and Cannella in those super super Democratic senate districts held on so handily.

Sorry I revised my post to mean statewide offices as that was vague. Yes GOP did pick up some assembly seats in certain districts but really considering the record low turnout they could have been expected to do better. That really spells doom for them here in the immediate election cycles to come. They also  did horrible in 2010 despite the national GOP wave that year too.

The problem is that they literally have no bench to recruit viable statewide candidates, and the ones they could run (Issa, Walters, random state legislator) are smart enough to not leave their districts and blow their careers.

And it's so expensive to run a statewide campaign, they tried self funders (Fiorina and Whitman) to no avail. Californians have proved they hate rich self-funders, so there goes that option. There's not much you can do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies