question about race riots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 09:28:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  question about race riots
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about race riots  (Read 742 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:20 AM »

when learning about the race riots of the 1960s, I realized that none of them were really in the south. How come none of them were in the south? Geographically, I guess you could consider L.A. the south as it as far south as Atlanta, but culturally it isn't. Anyways all the riots were in non-southern areas like LA, Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, DC etc.

Why is that? Sure there was some racism outside the south but they didn't have it nearly as bad in the aformentioned cities as they did in the south. I'm surprised there weren't riots in New Orleans, Miami, Atlanta, or Houston.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:44:49 AM »

To get the support of people in these areas? It is the Southerners who were most oppressive against Blacks, so they needed to change hearts and minds elsewhere against the bigots.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:51:46 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2011, 03:53:55 AM by yeoman shua »

A large number of the blacks in those cities outside the South were often pretty recent arrivals, within a generation or two - the community was in flux. I think you find that  riots/civil unrest are much more likely to occur when one or more group hasn't been there that long. There's a special sort of tension against or between more recent arrivals who are trying to establish their place.  Where people have lived for generations, they have more of a sense of place/geography/belonging, and it's less likely to lead to a sense of chaos when there is a sense of oppression and dissatisfaction. 
My guess is that the role of the black church in the South was also more dominant a la SCLC, and so that drove a lot of the response.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

Also, you had more "ghettoization" outside of the South, ironically.  There was little or no de jure segregation outside the South, but a huge about of de facto segregation.

It was not uncommon, in many southern locations, for a small shotgun house owned or rented by a black family to be within sight of, or even next to, a mansion of a white person.

Hence, a friend of mine, who is black, had a 5th great grandfather who was literally the next door neighbor of John Tyler.  (Tyler, while a Senator, helped the ancestor get a pension for service in the American Revolution.)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:13:11 AM »

Also, you had more "ghettoization" outside of the South, ironically.  There was little or no de jure segregation outside the South, but a huge about of de facto segregation.

It was not uncommon, in many southern locations, for a small shotgun house owned or rented by a black family to be within sight of, or even next to, a mansion of a white person.

Hence, a friend of mine, who is black, had a 5th great grandfather who was literally the next door neighbor of John Tyler.  (Tyler, while a Senator, helped the ancestor get a pension for service in the American Revolution.)

Yeah its interesting. When the black caucus was first founded, none of them were from a state of the old confederacy. They were from:

Oakland (Dellums)
South Central LA (Hawkins)
St Louis (Clay)
South Chicago (Metcalf)
Detroit (Diggs and Conyers)
Cleveland (Stokes)
Baltimore (Mitchell)
Philly (Nix)
Big Apple (Rangel and Chisholm)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »

From what I've read, in the South, there were more of MLK's things, such as the peaceful protest. That happened in the early sixties but was only really noticed by the media after a certain point (1963) when the fighting became so brutal it had to be covered. Also, that was the instigator for JFK working on the CRA which was eventually passed under Johnson.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies