Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:35:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)  (Read 4242 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: May 31, 2009, 04:00:51 PM »

I've given this thought, & I'm not sure that capital punishment is something that should be necessarily ruled out for regions to use in extreme cases.

Why should it be any different than for the federal government?

I would prefer generally decentralized power. Regions have the freedom to eliminate the death penalty themselves, but I don't see the great need to force it on a region that does not wish to forgo the option of using the death penalty.

I agree with this. I do not have any inherent opposition to the death penalty on ethical or moral grounds, but rather for financial reasons. Assuming a region is willing to undertake the financial burden of capital punishment, I do not believe the federal government should be able to compel them to remove the death penalty.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »

While I do believe amendments should be sent to the people, I don't believe the 4 regions that have outlawed capital punishment should be able to force the other to outlaw it as well.

Abstain
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »

This amendment has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.

Is this because DWTL is gone and so our numbers are only equal to nine, rather than ten?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »

I don't approve of the amendment, but that it goes next to the people lessens my concern.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies