Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment to the Constitution (Passed)  (Read 4239 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »

I've given this thought, & I'm not sure that capital punishment is something that should be necessarily ruled out for regions to use in extreme cases.

Why should it be any different than for the federal government?

I would prefer generally decentralized power. Regions have the freedom to eliminate the death penalty themselves, but I don't see the great need to force it on a region that does not wish to forgo the option of using the death penalty.

I generally agree with the sentiment...but it seems like some things have to be restricted at the highest possible level. You wouldn't support allowing regions to decide if they wanted to use torture, would you?

Now you may claim that the death penalty is different....but for me at least, the only difference is current legality.

I think the federal government has the right...and the responsibility...to use its power accordingly to protect human rights.

I agree that the federal government has the right to dictate the treatment of its citizens, within the boundaries of its own jurisdiction. The government may certainly amend the Constitution to read that an Atlasian citizen's right to life may not be abridged while in Atlasia.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies