Budget Process Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Budget Process Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Budget Process Committee  (Read 26610 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

Relax, Yankee, I'm not giving up on this Committee. Far from it! I'm just stating my thoughts on how to make this a simple as possible, since, like Al said, I don't think people care enough about the budget to want to see three different versions of it proposed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »

Relax, Yankee, I'm not giving up on this Committee. Far from it! I'm just stating my thoughts on how to make this a simple as possible, since, like Al said, I don't think people care enough about the budget to want to see three different versions of it proposed.

I definately need to relax. If you look closely you will see that I confused you with Badger. Roll Eyes Damn red Ohio Avatars!!! I can't wait till November when you two will have to deal with a new Conservative Governor. See as punishment for causing me such grief. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »

I've confused myself with Badger before. So you're forgiven. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »

I disagree with the direction this has taken and don't think that further participation - beyond gavel hammering - would be productive.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, Mr. Chair, and your subsequent posts don't clarify. Regardless, I think the most important thing here is this committee has finally taken some direction.

Do ordinary US Citizens know how much is spent on VA benefits? or whatever category it maybe. I think you are missing the point. The whole point of this is to provide fodder of a budget sort for the campaigns and end the constand "What are we spending here, here and here guessing game".

They don't care know. If you want to feed them basic stuff that is basically what PS was doing as GM. As far as I can tell, we lose nothing by trying it with the detailed version.

Amen.

I don't really think we should be encouraging the proposal of several different budgets, though. Honestly, I think all the budget should be is a running tally of everything we pass, and not something that is routinely adjusted. If we want to adjust things, we should do it in individual pieces of legislation, and then that can be reflected in the budget. I think that's an easier way to run the budget, which can be adjusted from time to time based on economic circumstances in regard to how much welfare costs vary and how much tax revenue varies, but is mostly just a tackboard for what we're spending already, instead of trying to turn everything upside down through the budget process instead of the normal legislative process.

You raise an interesting point, Blue. Maybe the budget should be more of a bill-by-bill, tax credit-by-tax credit tally of revenue rather than a once per presidential term "project" (undoubtedly modified by other spending/taxing bills passed throughout the rest of the term). That part relates more to the last part of the process outlined (step 5, I think), and anyway is only a recommendation to the Senate and President. Even if we recommend doing a budget once per presidential term the Senate could still decide to just make ad hoc changes rather than repass an entire budget every term. As long as the GM is keeping track of the balance and debt incurred from laws passed, all's well.

As far as "encouraging the proposal of several different budgets", look closely and you'll see that since I proposed using the NathanNewman long version sim as a template budget, no others have been proposed in the last few days since. Wink

ERGO, baring any other last minute nominations, I call for a full committee vote, Mr. Chairman, on the motion to use the NathanNewman long version budget simulation as a template budget for the Committee to begin work on.

(Remember folks, this is just the basic structure to which we'll make necessary changes to spending and taxes to reflect substantial differences between Atlasia and RL. It's essentially just the starting point for a budget structure, no more).
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

I know its a stupid question, but is it possible for someone to give me a quick recap on whats going on in here. I see that there is a lot of back and forth, so its hard to read through it all.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »

I know its a stupid question, but is it possible for someone to give me a quick recap on whats going on in here. I see that there is a lot of back and forth, so its hard to read through it all.

Lets see, committee forms, delay, jokes about Al to get his attention, Badger makes a proposal to use the Nathannewman long version which is met by support, another delay, I post  to ponder and generate discussion of ways to involve administation and SoIA but not turn Senate into rubber Stamp, Al complains about direction, I confuse Marokai with Badger, and thats pretty much the entire last month or so.

@Badger:
I think he is referring to my idea for having the administation write up a separate budget from the Senates, not the vary budget templates. I think we all agree on the long version of the nathannewman sim. I was confused about it at first as well hence my earlier post.

I look forward to accepting this mothion to use that template.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2010, 07:35:32 AM »

Ah, I see what you're saying Yank, and I think you're right. (Nice recap, btw Wink)

Ball's in your court to start a vote on the motion, Mr. Chairman.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »

I definately need to relax. If you look closely you will see that I confused you with Badger. Roll Eyes Damn red Ohio Avatars!!! I can't wait till November when you two will have to deal with a new Conservative Governor. See as punishment for causing me such grief. Tongue

Actually, I look forward to having a budget for when a conservative comes up with an idea of Kasichian-level stupidity like "lets get rid of the state income tax and replace the missing 40% state revenue with 'increased growth' and 'cutting waste'", they'll actually have to go to the budget to explain how this miracle of economics (and mathematics) will actually happen. Tongue

EDIT: Still waiting on that vote to start, Mr. Chairman.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »

Actually, I look forward to having a budget for when a conservative comes up with an idea of Kasichian-level stupidity like "lets get rid of the state income tax and replace the missing 40% state revenue with 'increased growth' and 'cutting waste'", they'll actually have to go to the budget to explain how this miracle of economics (and mathematics) will actually happen. Tongue

1. Get rid of state income tax
2. Make it a right to work state
3. End Waste, fraud, and abuse
4. Draw up nice looking 2-1 Republican House Map
5. Draw up nice looking maps that guarrentee ten years of GOP dominance in the Legislature
6. Be popular enough to prevent Obama from winning OH in 2012.
7. Enjoy the wonders of Kasich's free market prosperity.

Then comes 2016: KASICH/RUBIO

I can't imagine why anyone would take issue with such a brilliant platform, it is just simply barbaric, BARBARIC!!! Tongue Evil
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »

5. Draw up nice looking maps that guarrentee ten years of GOP dominance in the Legislature

I can't imagine why anyone would take issue with such a brilliant platform, it is just simply barbaric, BARBARIC!!! Tongue Evil

Visions like that make me unsure whether to hang myself or you. Tongue Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »

Visions like that make me unsure whether to hang myself or you. Tongue Wink

The truth is hard to accept sometimes. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

BUMP!! Angry

Damn it Mr. Chairman call a f$#king vote already!!! Angry
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »

Oh, you're actually doing things now?

Vote on whatever the motion is. Aye or Nay, as is traditional here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

What are we voting on again? The template?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »

Oh, you're actually doing things now?

Vote on whatever the motion is. Aye or Nay, as is traditional here.

Yes, for some time now thank you.

AYE.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »

Yes, just the template.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

Still waiting on your votes, Blue and Inks (PM's sent).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2010, 10:42:09 AM »

AYE
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2010, 02:48:57 AM »

Aye, I'm sorry everyone. Tornadoes hit the area and power has been knocked out for alot of people. I was, sadly, one of them.

Anyway, thanks for the patience.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2010, 06:46:31 AM by Badger »

By a 4-0 vote the motion to adopt the Nathan Newman Sim (long version) as a budget template passes.

The Committee's next step is to consider previously passed spending bills (NOT tax bills---yet) and decide if they have a substantial difference from the real life (circa 2006) numbers in the template budget. This is essentially reconciling Atlasian history with these RL numbers. Committee members will nominate provisions of current Atlasian law (please provide links) which the Committee will first vote as to whether or not the law in question has a substantial difference from the template numbers. If a majority approves the law for consideration, the Committee will then debate and vote on exactly how much of a change in the template's numbers the law requires.

Two notes: While only Committee members may propose spending bills for consideration, the peanut gallery is welcome to suggest such bills for members to nominate. Secondly, I urge Committee members to strictly limit consideration of prior bills that they believe substantially changes the template's numbers, otherwise we will never complete our task anytime this year.

The floor is open to nominate previously passed spending provisions for consideration of substantially modifying the template's numbers. Nominate away, folks!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »

If the Committee could give me a final number on our foreign aid budget as soon as possible, I'd appreciate it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »

By a 4-0 vote the motion to adopt the Nathan Newman Sim (long version) as a budget template passes.

The Committee's next step is to consider previously passed spending bills (NOT tax bills---yet) and decide if they have a substantial difference from the real life (circa 2006) numbers in the template budget. This is essentially reconciling Atlasian history with these RL numbers. Committee members will nominate provisions of current Atlasian law (please provide links) which the Committee will first vote as to whether or not the law in question has a substantial difference from the template numbers. If a majority approves the law for consideration, the Committee will then debate and vote on exactly how much of a change in the template's numbers the law requires.

Two notes: While only Committee members may propose spending bills for consideration, the peanut gallery is welcome to suggest such bills for members to nominate. Secondly, I urge Committee members to strictly limit consideration of prior bills that they believe substantially changes the template's numbers, otherwise we will never complete our task anytime this year.

The floor is open to nominate previously passed spending provisions for consideration of substantially modifying the template's numbers. Nominate away, folks!

Bumpity bump. See bolded part above.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2010, 03:19:02 AM »

Perhaps it might be easier if we just went through the list of legislation passed and did an up/down vote on each one/a group of laws?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »

Perhaps it might be easier if we just went through the list of legislation passed and did an up/down vote on each one/a group of laws?
Well, I'm open to the idea if you have a specific suggestion re: a group of laws. Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies