Is driving a right or a privilege?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:33:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is driving a right or a privilege?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
right

privilege

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Is driving a right or a privilege?  (Read 4700 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2005, 03:49:31 AM »
« edited: July 02, 2005, 04:02:37 AM by Bono »

Oh boy, your systems really are terrible.
The only complain I have about ours is that they should get some of the lines to run twice an hour instead of only once.

And to Everett:
Don't your stops have like a map of the city with the bus routes?
That's how it works in Lisbon.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2005, 02:38:04 AM »

Damn right it should be a privilege.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2005, 12:16:49 PM »

Around here, it should be considered a right, because it is often the only realistic method of transportation. There are too many hills to ride a bike, most stores are 15 miles out of town, and the bus system is sh**tty. Thus, it is a natural right - but one that can be revoked from those who abuse it.

The first (or possibly second) post of yours that I can actually agree with Tongue

In rural areas, a *truck* is a necessity. I will need to get one before summer's out.

Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »

Around here, it should be considered a right, because it is often the only realistic method of transportation. There are too many hills to ride a bike, most stores are 15 miles out of town, and the bus system is sh**tty. Thus, it is a natural right - but one that can be revoked from those who abuse it.

The first (or possibly second) post of yours that I can actually agree with Tongue

In rural areas, a *truck* is a necessity. I will need to get one before summer's out.

How about intercounty services? are they any better(if they exist).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2005, 12:36:21 PM »

There is no such thing as too many hills to ride a bike.

Around here there is.
I've cycled in some pretty bad terrain for that. Takes some getting used to the first week, but no hill is unscalable.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Er...that's a valid concern. Sad
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2005, 12:48:38 PM »

In principle, it is or should be a right: you are entitled to drive as long as you do not harm anyone else while doing so.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2005, 12:49:47 PM »

There is one: Greyhound, but that is a national bus service, and not really local to any US county. Features:

(+) Ridership is a diverse cross section of America's illegal immigrant and paroled felon population

(-) Expensive (a 90 mile trip from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, a heavily traveled route, is $20+); unbearably slow; inconvenient (bus terminals are invariably located in the *slums* of the city); dirty and slightly nauseating, etc.

There is no alternative to an automobile in the US, outside of the coastal conurbations.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2005, 01:15:50 PM »

There is one: Greyhound, but that is a national bus service, and not really local to any US county. Features:

(+) Ridership is a diverse cross section of America's illegal immigrant and paroled felon population

(-) Expensive (a 90 mile trip from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, a heavily traveled route, is $20+); unbearably slow; inconvenient (bus terminals are invariably located in the *slums* of the city); dirty and slightly nauseating, etc.

There is no alternative to an automobile in the US, outside of the coastal conurbations.

Except hitching a ride. Smiley
That must suck for backpackers.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies