Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:46:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update) (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Update XVII: I Ate The Strawberry (The REAL, AUTHENTIC Update)  (Read 133756 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

I'm not sure Oklahoma has planned pregnancies. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »

Bushie, have you ever eaten at Buffalo Wild Wings?

I've never seen him talk about it.  Strange because it combines endless hrs of sports coverage, sitting, and heaping piles of greasy food... You would think he is a regular.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »

Really dude?  I've been pleading with you to try mango to get a healthy snack into your food repertoire and you ignore me but the first recommendation of Fuddbuckers and you're all over it!?

C'mon man...
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »

As of this morning, I have officially crossed into the 270's for the first time since this past Spring!!  Granted, I'm barely into the 270's, officially coming in at 279.8, but it was a good sight to see this morning!!

Mangos are high in fiber, and thus ideal for "productive dumps".  (as you've put it in past seasons)
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 09:20:51 PM »

Yup.

Thursday Night NFL.  Friday and Saturday college games.  Sunday, of course.  And then right back at it for Monday Night Football, 20:30 on ESPN! 

I like the NFL, but I stick to the Eagles game and a little post-game coverage if it was an especially exciting win.   
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »

Morden, I've watched probably 12-15 hours since Thursday.  With this situation, football has been my release mechanism.

Besides my alma mater, the last football game I've attended was a University of Oklahoma game back in the late 80's/early 90's when Cale Gundy was at QB.  I have never attended an NFL game.  I've attended two Oklahoma City Thunder NBA games and one New York Mets MLB game, and a couple of minor league baseball games.

LMAO!  Have you really?

Can someone photoshop Bushie into this picture next to me?  

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »

I've eaten at BWW twice in the fall of 2013.  I'm not too thrilled with their food,  to be honest.  I don't like wings generally, so I was only able to get a cheeseburger there both times and felt I've had better burgers.  I only went because the church men's group met there for dinner and football while the ladies had a Bible Study.  It's not a place I would go on my own.

What the hell is Bible Study?

Correct me if I'm wrong, religiouses, but I believe the "Bible Study" is when Christians dress up like characters from Jesus's time and live action role play an episode of 7th Heaven. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

"Release mechanism", "Cleaning up the meat", "Loving on kids", etc.  Why do so many Update-isms sound like sexual innuendo?

It's simply how Oklahomans deal with the intense sexual repression, let off that steam little bits at a time through questionable colloquialisms, except of course the far more explicit "destroy my @sshole" to refer to post-BBQ bathroom calls. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:59 PM »

As for #1, of course they're allowed to study the Bible together and they often do, but sometimes the ladies like to discuss lady things and guys like to discuss guy stuff.

What the hell are "lady things" and "guy stuff" in relation to content in the Bible?  I suppose guy stuff would be "Things To Do Besides Masturbate" and lady things could involve things like "At What Point Would Jesus Be Okay With Calling 911?".
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 11:45:27 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2014, 11:47:13 PM by HockeyDude »

As for #1, of course they're allowed to study the Bible together and they often do, but sometimes the ladies like to discuss lady things and guys like to discuss guy stuff.

What the hell are "lady things" and "guy stuff" in relation to content in the Bible?  I suppose guy stuff would be "Things To Do Besides Masturbate" and lady things could involve things like "At What Point Would Jesus Be Okay With Calling 911?".

Lady things and guy stuff are talking about life's issues and getting into the Bible to see what God says about those issues.  It is also to encourage each other, laugh with each other, cry with each other, and even lovingly correct one another if needed.  There are certain things that men talk about that need to kept among men and not shared in a coed group.  The same goes with the ladies.

What are you crying about?

Indeed, the ladies don't need to hear about the things you do to distract yourself from yankin yer meat.  Thank you for confirming my assumption. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »

What the hell are "lady things" and "guy stuff" in relation to content in the Bible?  I suppose guy stuff would be "Things To Do Besides Masturbate" and lady things could involve things like "At What Point Would Jesus Be Okay With Calling 911?".

Lady things and guy stuff are talking about life's issues and getting into the Bible to see what God says about those issues.  It is also to encourage each other, laugh with each other, cry with each other, and even lovingly correct one another if needed.  There are certain things that men talk about that need to kept among men and not shared in a coed group.  The same goes with the ladies.

What are you crying about?

Seriously?  Is this a real question?

Oh, I missed the bit about "life's issues". 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »

Sad news.  I'll shall keep your family in my thoughts.  RIP.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

They went and did it...

RIP Bushie's cousin : (
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »

Bushie quitting this job at this point because he thinks he might get fired seems like an echo of him breaking up with Allison over a joke because he was afraid that she was going to dump him.

If he's happy there, it seems kind of silly to jump ship at this point.  Who knows whether the next job will be any better.  How many jobs that only lasted a few weeks do you want him to have on his resume?

Ugh!  I never did ask what the joke was!  Does anyone remember that saga?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »

Jeff, keep working hard where you're at. You had a rough performance review but have had a number of good days since then, as well. That's what performance reviews are for -- to tell you where you need improvement and to help you get better.

If Jeff was truly as dispensable as everyone is claiming and his boss was really that over him, they'd let him go now. It's a really small company. Even without factoring in a burden rate, equipment costs, management time or potential turnover costs, Jeff will be a $12,960.00 investment for this company over the next 27 business days. Why would they throw that away if he's as useless and doomed as you all assume?

Plus, it doesn't seem like this place has it's sht together at all. When they moved offices, no one had ensured the phone system would be transferred at the same time, meaning Jeff's boss needed to hang back at the old office to answer phones. I wouldn't be surprised if his offer of a week off for a funeral was due to either a) a small, familial atmosphere, or b) a relief in his boss's own management duties -- and I don't mean that because Jeff is a bother, I mean because this guy probably can't manage his way out of a paper bag, and any employee causes him stress.

I can't predict the future, but their continued investment in Jeff would be foolish if he's truly doomed. Don't be blind to the atmosphere around you, Jeff, but don't get distracted from continuing to grow and learn, too. They seem to want to continue investing in you for the time being.

Thank you J-Mann, for calming down our chaotic barnyard of Chicken Littles.  IMO, CADD job lives! 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »

I like J-Mann.  Update-wise, he's like a smarter Inks without all the awful. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »

Bushie, whatever you do, DO NOT make an assumption and just impulsively quit the job.

Remember always the true hero of Update. 

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »

What are honestly your chances with this other job with the fam?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2014, 07:37:59 PM by HockeyDude »

bushie, it is unfortunate but cadd might not be for you.

It's better than customer service.  I'm not going to give up on CAD.  I know I can do it, and I was starting to get it, I just need a more patient boss.

Anyway, I have PM'd some of the Update readers the name of my family member's company for their investigation.  I look forward to reading their findings.

Well, except myself, who has brought up the subject of the family job twice.  Is it the pestering of the mangos that makes you hate me so?  

EDIT: Thank you, Bushie!  I'll have a gander.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

bushie, it is unfortunate but cadd might not be for you.

It's better than customer service.  I'm not going to give up on CAD.  I know I can do it, and I was starting to get it, I just need a more patient boss.

Anyway, I have PM'd some of the Update readers the name of my family member's company for their investigation.  I look forward to reading their findings.

Before I spend another minute helping you out, I want you to get this out of your head immediately. If this isn't working out, there may not be any particular person to blame, but your "boss's patience" is the least of your worries. I think you know you weren't a stellar student, didn't practice over the summer and entered a CADD job as a true greenhorn. Companies aren't looking to teach you from the ground up -- that's what your school was for. The position or the company may not be right for you, but don't you dare even hint at blaming someone else. Own your experiences and take some personal responsibility.

As others have encouraged you to do, show up on Tuesday and have whatever "talk" he wants to have. Don't make this another "Jeff quits and feigns indignity before he can get fired" scenario.

Have you communicated back with him to ask why the break on Monday, or why he wants to talk with you? That CAN be done in a diplomatic way if you step up and own your own situations. Ask him:

- "Is there a particular reason you don't need me on Monday?"

- "Can you give me an idea of what we'll be talking about on Tuesday? If something needs improvement or needs addressed, let's do it sooner. I'm available."

I get the feeling you got a text, responded weakly or not at all, and now are forced to dream up what the scenario is. And maybe we're all 99 % sure ... but find out from the source.

And before I look into this other company ... Jeff, have you ever considered that regular work just isn't for you? I was encouraged by this company because the role and responsibilities seemed to be much more in line with where your skillset MIGHT be. And now we have major clues that it's ending. Again, don't blame anyone but yourself. And maybe you're not to blame either. You just seem to be clueless as to how to interact and succeed in the world in which the rest of us live.

Others have suggested disability, which could be easily attributable to your Tourette's or your chronic headaches or your dibilitating obesity or ... name it, you've got it. Or maybe something as simple as order processing, an accounting-type job where all you do is move "Paper A" into "Box B" ... "gotta make the doughnuts" type-of stuff.

I'm not giving up on you, but sometimes I feel like the dad who tells his horribly ugly daughter that she can be a model. I thought CADD was the right direction for you to be coached, and I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't work out due to issues you could have and should have owned.

Did J-Mann and opebo ever go at it in past seasons?  I feel like it would be quite the epic confrontation.   
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:03 PM »

Ten years ago, I couldn't stand Opebo. Politically, I grew closer to him over time, but in terms of personal responsibility, I think we're still light years apart. I considered him a Forum buddy, though, by the time I ended regularly posting here.

I wasn't talking about the personal relationship.  I was talking about how much he would scoff at your insistence that Bushie put blame on himself/take responsibility.  I think the ensuing war of words would be fantastic Update material. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »

J-Mann, I know I could have done things better in this job and in the talk on Tuesday, I'm going to ask him what I can improve on for the next opportunity.

The reason for Tuesday, and not Monday, is that he's starting a new, experienced, employee on Monday and wants to spend the day orientating him and getting him up to speed.

I'm not going to make the first move.  I'll let him be the one that kicks me out, I'm not going to kick myself out.  Whatever the reason, I will go out with my head high and proud of what I did accomplish over the past two months.  I can be proud that I finally have my CAD career started.  I'm definitely not giving up on my CAD career.  I feel I still have a lot to offer in the drafting world.  This will not be my last drafting job.

I don't have access to my resume tonight, as it's on my main computer at home.  I am down at my parents' to put together our game plan.  I will go back Sunday after morning church.  That said, I have been looking online for some jobs to apply to once I get back home on Sunday.  I have found 3 places in Oklahoma City (including this family member's company) to apply to online and then I have two places in south Tulsa to visit on Monday.  Both ads say they prefer walk-in applications.  I will visit them Monday morning at 09:00 and 11:00.  One is in Southwest Tulsa and the other is Southeast Tulsa/Broken Arrow.  I've got them bookmarked so i can find them easier.

Therein lies a problem, Bushie.  This has to be YOUR game plan.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »

I would like to see Our Dear Friend apply for a job in the office of future Senator Lankford.

Bushie should work in government.  Back when I worked as an intern for Senator Lautenberg in 2008, they sometimes said even if I wasn't that great with constituents who called the office with questions (it was the first time I'd ever had to talk to people over the phone regularly) they would keep me around just because I livened up the place with political banter and could hold my own in a discussion of current events.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »

Bushie, I know I'm not the first person to tell you this, but you have to get beyond this pridefulness thing. You're not better than people who work low prestige jobs.  Being so smug and full of pride is the only thing keeping you from having a job that lasts more than a month or two. It's not just impacting you. It's hurting your entire family. I am also curious why you don't go for the preacher thing. It seems up your alley. Is it Tourette's that keeps you from doing that?

I'm not sure it's pride than it's the fact that Bushie sees the American Dream in 1955 and wants so bad for that to be his life. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »

Bushie, serious question

Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist?

I thought Update is very, very, very bad, Gully?

Be gone with ye!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies