Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 09:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum blames gay marriage for bad economy  (Read 13585 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:22 PM »
« edited: March 11, 2012, 11:12:18 PM by cope1989 »

What I've realized is that almost every viewpoint in conservative idology stems from the desire to preserve a traditional and stable society. I don't think every conservative would be willing to get out there and protest with the Westboro Baptist church, for the record. I can think of many people I know who are opposed to gay marriage who have gay relatives and friends, and they wish them the best in life- but their opposition comes from a fear of what legalized gay marriage will bring.

A good analogy would be civil rights. Many opposed to integration were terrified that an integrated society would lead to race wars, and a collapse of civil society. Obviously, once the turmoil of the civil rights movement faded away, this collapse didn't happen.

It's no different today. Gay marriage will not lead to the destruction of the American family, family values or a civil society. Same sex couples want the same for themselves and their children that the rest of us want, something people tend to forget. And during the civil rights movement, black Americans wanted the same rights afforded to them and their families that whites were offered. It's as simple as that.

Many decades down the road, I predict that those who were once firmly opposed to gay marriage will see that none of their fears were realized, and I pray this happens sooner rather than later. Because we have bigger issues to face that are more important than whether gay couples get to sign the same slip of paper that straight couples do on their wedding day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies