The Democratic South and Civil Rights

(1/3) > >>

scorpiogurl:
I am no expert on American politics, but one issue does intrigue me and perhaps someone with greater knowledge can help me out.

Up until the election of 1968 most of the south (what were the confederate states) voted fairly solidly for Democratic Presidential candidates. Following 1968 the situation changed...due to the Civil Rights movement and Nixons southern strategy.

My question is..........why did a party whose roots were strongly in the confederate south adopt the Civil Rights mantle??? Surely logically this would have been an issue the Republican Party would have championed?

Anyone enlighten me?

Tory:
They didn't adopt the Civil Rights mantle. More Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act than Democrats. LBJ signed the CRA, so it gave the appearance that the Dems supported it. Then eventually as the GOP took over the South, the Democrats became a northerners party, and northerners are pro-Civil Rights. It's all about geography really.

Jake:
Quote from: scorpiogurl on January 22, 2005, 10:49:37 AM

I am no expert on American politics, but one issue does intrigue me and perhaps someone with greater knowledge can help me out.

Up until the election of 1968 most of the south (what were the confederate states) voted fairly solidly for Democratic Presidential candidates. Following 1968 the situation changed...due to the Civil Rights movement and Nixons southern strategy.

My question is..........why did a party whose roots were strongly in the confederate south adopt the Civil Rights mantle??? Surely logically this would have been an issue the Republican Party would have championed?

Anyone enlighten me?

Southern Democrats were usually more conservative than Democrats.  They also supported more restrictions as far as "unwritten segregation" laws. These were Dixiecrats.  In 1948, they voted for Strom Thurmond, but they didn't defect to the GOP bigtime until 1964 and Goldwater.

As for the last paragraph.  Republicans didn't make civil rights their biggest issue.  LBJ signing the Civil Rights Act maked people think all Democrats supported it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Democrats were moving to their progressive era that still continues today.  The Republicans were moving into their conservative era that still continues today.  Hope that helps

Dr. Cynic:
After LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act, and Dems nominated Hubert H. Humphrey, a decidedly Pro-Civil Rights politican, the South just lost intrest in the Democratic Party.

BobOMac2k2:
Democrats will do whats right, republicans will do what ever will get them votes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page