My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 03:46:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Idea for electing Supreme Court justices  (Read 4026 times)
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« on: February 26, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »

Why 14 years? Seems to me that 18 makes more sense, if we're sticking with 9 members on the court for the time being. That way one seat opens up every two years (unless someone dies or steps down, in which case an appointment is made to the remainder of that term).

Agreed with what everyone else said about elections. Just a bad, bad idea.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »

Elected judgeships are generally a terrible idea, but I would support having each justice serve an 18-year term rather than a lifetime appointment, with appointments staggered out every two years to guarantee that each president appoints two justices per term.

Yup, have their terms end, for instance, on 1/20/2018 and 1/20/2020, one year and three years into a presidential term. Or maybe to keep the election year stuff back, bump those back six months.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:12:53 PM »

Elected judgeships are generally a terrible idea, but I would support having each justice serve an 18-year term rather than a lifetime appointment, with appointments staggered out every two years to guarantee that each president appoints two justices per term.

Yup, have their terms end, for instance, on 1/20/2018 and 1/20/2020, one year and three years into a presidential term. Or maybe to keep the election year stuff back, bump those back six months.

In this system, what would happen when someone dies on the Court?  Is the next appointment for the remainder of that term, or would the clock reset?

Remainder of the term, since that president would already have the two regular appointments coming up. If the goal is regularity, then each seat would have to be up when its time came up, no?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies