What will be the next big social issue? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 07:22:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What will be the next big social issue? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will be the next big social issue?  (Read 4459 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« on: June 26, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »

Now that marriage equality seems to be settled law, at least for the foreseeable future, what will be the next big hot-button social issue? What will a few states or groups come to accept which is well out of the normal, or considered an enormous break from tradition, but which will gradually come to be accepted by the nation as a whole? Marijuana legalization fits this description in some ways, but it is usually considered a secondary issue at best, and is rarely if ever used as a wedge issue, especially not in the same manner as gay marriage circa 2004.

If I had to guess, I'd say legalization and regulation of prostitution or maybe even plural marriages (polygamy). I'm not sure what legal changes can be made to improve the lives of transsexual people, although such laws are certainly not far down the road at this point, at least the way things seem to be going.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

Trans issues. They are being set up to fill the negro, irish, women, feminist, single mother, teenage deliquent, gay shaped hole in the religious right.

yes, the right-wing push for vicious anti-trans laws has already started.

Just curious, what do you see as concrete legislative proposals/reforms that could improve the standing of trans people in America? As far as I can tell, apart from bathroom labels and non-discrimination clauses (which, let's be honest, probably won't do anything to fix most of the problems trans people face), there aren't many clear fixes I can see. Most of the issues in the trans community are ones of hate crimes and abuse, just like racial minorities have faced for ages, and aren't closely tied to legislation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies