Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary backs Tubman on $20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary backs Tubman on $20  (Read 6109 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 15, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »

While I support this, I have to admit this is not particularly important to me. Most people have no idea who Andrew Jackson is despite the fact that he's on the 20 dollar bill. It's mostly feel good fluff.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »

I think we should put Jonas Salk on the $20. He saved more lives in America and around the world than Harriet Tubman, any president or any "liberating" military intervention this country has ever embarked on.

It would help refute the stereotype the rest of the world has of us as a country that isn't interested in science or in "book learnin'" in general.

I sort of agree with this, but maintain that a debate over who is on the 20 dollar Bill is stupid. If it's trending on Twitter or whatever, that just shows the state of contemporary political debate is in the gutter. Jackson's just a guy with big hair to most people. In 20 years, cash will be obsolete anyways.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 11:31:16 AM »

To be fair, the entire European colonization of the New World from 1492 until 1890 has shades of genocide by that standard. Yes, Jackson was a prominent participant in it, but I've never seen an argument that he was a decisive historical actor in that regard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies