TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:43:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88  (Read 25898 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 04:55:28 PM »

September 15, 1995 - President Brown launches re-election bid in prime-time televised address

WASHINGTON, DC - President Jerry Brown announced his intention to seek re-election as President during a prime-time television address from the oval office. "Four years ago, during a time of economic recession, world turmoil, and division here at home, I announced that I would challenge the political establishment and seek this office. I won and during the course of these past years, I've worked with Republicans and Democrats to get things done for the American people. We've balanced budgets, reduced taxes on small businesses, invested in our roads, helped provide over 4 million Americans with health care, increased local aid to education, and stopped a brutal regime from spreading into Kuwait. While we've turned the corner, our work is not yet done. So, tonight, I am declaring that I will seek a second term as President of the United States" Brown stated.

September 28, 1995 - In speech, Alan Keyes promises a "revival of conservatism"

LANSING, MI - Claiming he's the only "true conservative" seeking the presidency of the United States, Former Ambassador Alan Keyes promised a "revival of conservatism" if he becomes the nominee of the Republican Party for President. Keyes said that if nominated and elected, he would push to ban abortion, repeal the assault weapon ban President Brown signed into law, repeal the campaign finance reform legislation President Brown signed into law, eliminate the federal income tax, and he would abolish the federal Department of Education. "We aren't going to win this election by having the nominee of our party move left, we are going to win this election by convincing the American people to move right like they did in 1980 and 1984" Keyes stated.

October 4, 1995 - Boehner wins backing of House Colleagues, Promises to continue "GOP revolution"

WASHINGTON, DC - House Speaker Newt Gingrich and House Majority Leader Dick Armey endorsed Republican Conference Leader John Boehner's 1996 presidential bid, citing Boehner's key role as part of the GOP leadership. Boehner promised he'd pursue the Republican Majority's agenda of cutting the capital gains tax, passing a constitutional balanced budget amendment, block-granting food stamps to states, and reducing the size of government to 1980 levels via attrition.

October 20, 1995 - Despite negativity in early states, Kean insists he can win being positive

DOVER, NH - Republican Presidential Hopeful Tom Kean told reporters he would be the Republican nominee for President and would win the election with a positive message. "People would much rather hear about how I plan to promote economic growth, save medicare and social security, balance the budget, save our schools, and protect this country as opposed to my negative views about anyone else" Kean stated. In recent days, opponents began piling on Kean. Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana began attacking Kean as a "moderate," citing Kean's support of abortion rights and federal background checks. Mean while, Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa accused Kean of being a "tool of the special interests" by supporting NAFTA. Former Ambassador Alan Keyes began attacking Kean as too moderate and part of the political establishment.

November 1, 1995 - Polls good news for Kean, Dole

WASHINGTON, DC - A national survey found that GOP presidential hopefuls Tom Kean and Elizabeth Dole were polling well ahead of the rest of the candidates nationally and in key early states. Nation wide, Kean and Dole tied at 35%, followed by Dan Quayle at 19%, John Boehner at 6%, Alan Keyes at 3%, Chuck Grassley at 1%, and "other" at 1%. In Iowa, Elizabeth Dole narrowly leads Dan Quayle, 30%-29%, with Chuck Grassley in third at 19%. In New Hampshire, Tom Kean leads Elizabeth Dole 50%-29%. In South Carolina, Elizabeth Dole has 33%, with Dan Quayle and Tom Kean tied at 25% in second place. Michigan voters prefer Kean, who leads Dole 34%-30% with Quayle at 20%. The survey also found Dole leading Kean 42%-35% with Republicans, but Kean leading Dole 42%-30% with independents.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »

November 15, 1995 - Brown hits Kean at Florida Event

MIAMI BEACH, FL - President Jerry Brown attacked one of his potential 1996 presidential rivals while at a campaign stop in southern Florida. "Tom Kean believes that we should weaken medicare and medicaid while giving the largest corporations in America a huge tax break. He believes that medicaid is a program which the state's should take care of, that would hurt state budgets and increase your property taxes. While he's raising your property taxes, he's cutting the tax rate on large businesses from 39% down to 30%. That's not fiscally responsible" Brown stated.

November 30, 1995 - Governors back Kean for President

CHARLESTON, SC - Governors George W. Bush of Texas, Christie Todd Whitman of New Jersey, George Pataki of New York, Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania, Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin, and David Beasley of South Carolina endorsed Tom Kean's 1996 presidential bid. The Governor's all cited Kean's experience as a Governor, his tax cut proposal, his call to reform social security, medicare, and medicaid, and his position on education as reasons for the endorsement.

December 2, 1995 - A month ahead of Iowa, Dole goes after Kean

DES MOINES, IA - Former Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole, seeking the 1996 Republican Presidential Nomination, attacked opponent Tom Kean on the campaign trail in Iowa. "Governor Kean is a good man, but I believe that nominating a pro-choice moderate who supports President Brown's position on campaign finance reform is a mistake for our party" Dole said of Kean.

December 21, 1995 - National Poll: Kean leads, nation divided over Brown

GOP Presidential Nomination
Tom Kean 31%
Elizabeth Dole 25%
Dan Quayle 25%
Chuck Grassley 9%
Alan Keyes 5%
John Boehner 3%
Other 2%

President Brown Approval
Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 47%

General Election Match-Ups

Tom Kean 49%
Jerry Brown 38%

Jerry Brown 46%
Elizabeth Dole 44%

Jerry Brown 48%
Dan Quayle 44%

Jerry Brown 61%
Alan Keyes 27%

December 18, 1995 - REPORT: Perot to run as independent in '96

WASHINGTON, DC - Rumors began circulating that Ross Perot, a billionaire businessman from Texas, would seek the presidency in 1996 as an independent candidate. Perot had considered such a presidential bid in 1992, but declined to run. It was reported that Perot hired an independent pollster. Perot has been involved in politics; he supported Governor George W. Bush of Texas in 1994, and gave money to Bush that year, as well as to Democratic Presidential Hopeful Gary Hart in 1988. Perot spoke out against NAFTA, but was critical of President Jerry Brown's budgets, arguing they spent too much.

January 2, 1996 - Ross Perot running for President as an Independent

NEW BOSTON, TX - Independent Ross Perot, a Texas businessman, declared he would be a candidate for President in the 1996 presidential election. "For far too long, politicians in Washington have ignored three fundamental truths. One, that we are losing our manufacturing edge because of free trade agreements which aren't being enforced and a tax code which favors special interests as opposed to all manufacturers. Two, our campaign finance system allows large corporations to control two political parties which excludes more viewpoints. Three, the national debt continues to grow and threatens our economic well-being long term. It's for these reasons that I will run for President of the United States as an independent" Perot stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »

January 3, 1996 - Dole wins Iowa Caucus

DES MOINES, IA - Former U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole won the 1996 Iowa Caucuses by a narrow margin. Dole beat Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa by 700 votes; each of them took roughly 30% of the vote. Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana placed third with 18% of the vote, followed by Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean with 12%, Former Ambassador Alan Keyes with 6%, and Congressman John Boehner with 3%. Other candidates won 1%.

January 5, 1996 - Dole wins caucuses in Alaska, Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, LA - Elizabeth Dole claimed victory in two more presidential contests. In Alaska, Dole garnered 50% of the vote, followed by Tom Kean with 20%, Dan Quayle with 14%, Chuck Grassley with 10%, Alan Keyes with 4%, John Boehner with 1%, and other candidates with 1%. In Louisiana, Dole won 30% of the vote, followed by Dan Quayle with 27%, Tom Kean with 25%, Alan Keyes with 10%, Chuck Grassley with 5%, John Boehner with 2%, and other candidates with 1%.

January 10, 1996 - Tom Kean wins New Hampshire Primary

MANCHESTER, NH - Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean won a decisive victory in the New Hampshire Primary. With 100% of the precincts reporting, Kean took 52% of the vote. Elizabeth Dole placed second with 22%, followed by Dan Quayle with 12%, Chuck Grassley with 6%, Alan Keyes with 4%, John Boehner with 2%, and other candidates with 1%.

January 12, 1996 - Bohener withdrawals from Presidential Race, backs Tom Kean for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman John Boehner announced he was ending his 1996 presidential campaign and would support Tom Kean for the Republican Presidential Nomination. "Tom Kean has promised to work with the Republican congress to advance the principles our party has stood for over the past two decades" Boehner said of Kean.

January 14, 1996 - Nationwide poll shows Perot impact

Potential Match-Ups

Tom Kean 50%
Jerry Brown 44%
Ross Perot 5%

Jerry Brown 46%
Elizabeth Dole 45%
Ross Perot 7%

Jerry Brown 47%
Dan Quayle 40%
Ross Perot 11%

General Election Support for Perot
Independents 62%
Democrats 20%
Republicans 17%
Other 1%

Republicans Presidential Preference
Elizabeth Dole 34%
Tom Kean 28%
Dan Quayle 28%
Ross Perot 10%
Jerry Brown 1%

Democrats Presidential Preference
Jerry Brown 63%
Ross Perot 27%
Tom Kean 8%
Elizabeth Dole 1%
Dan Quayle 1%

Independents Presidential Preference
Tom Kean 35%
Ross Perot 25%
Jerry Brown 25%
Elizabeth Dole 10%
Dan Quayle 5%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

January 17, 1996 - Kean wins primaries in Michigan, Delaware

DOVER, DE - Republican Presidential Candidate Tom Kean secured victories in Michigan and Delaware. In Michigan, Kean won 32% of the vote, followed by Dan Quayle at 28%, Elizabeth Dole at 27%, Chuck Grassley at 10%, Alan Keyes at 2%, and other candidates with 1%. Kean also garnered 62% of the vote in Delaware, followed by Elizabeth Dole at 22%, Dan Quayle at 10%, Alan Keyes at 4%, Chuck Grassley at 1%, and other candidates at 1%.

January 19, 1996 - Grassley ends Presidential Bid, endorses Elizabeth Dole

CHARLESTON, SC - Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa ended his 1996 presidential campaign and endorsed Elizabeth Dole for President, calling Dole "the candidate with the experience to lead America."

January 21, 1996 - Perot calls for debt reduction, campaign finance reform while attacking both political parties

LOUISVILLE, KY - Independent Presidential Candidate Ross Perot attacked both political parties for what he called "a failure of leadership and ideas" on government debt and campaign finance laws. Perot laid out a plan to reduce the national debt by $250 billion per year by reducing the federal workforce by 2% per year, freezing federal spending at 1996 levels for three years, eliminating corporate tax deductions, and eliminating all federal subsidies. Perot also called for a cap on political campaign contributions and full disclosure of all campaign funds to "give democracy back to the people." Perot also attacked both President Brown and GOP presidential candidates. "We have more debt today than ever before, and the President continues to increase spending to historic levels every year. Yet, in response, the Republicans propose tax breaks for the ultra-rich while they continue to allow the President to give money to politically connected groups, something he promised he'd stop in 1992" Perot stated.

January 24, 1996 - Kean wins Alaska Caucus as Dole wins South Carolina

CHARLESTON, SC - Former Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole won South Carolina's presidential primary with 42% of the vote, followed by Dan Quayle with 35%, Tom Kean with 20%, Alan Keyes with 2%, and other candidates with 1%. In Alaska, Kean won 50% of the vote at the caucuses, with Dole in second with 30%, Quayle with 15%, and Keyes with 4%. Other candidates won 1%.

January 25, 1996 - Quayle ends presidential bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana ended his 1996 presidential campaign after placing third in both the popular vote and delegate count after early primaries.

January 27, 1996 - President Brown: I'm with Perot on campaign finance reform

WASHINGTON, DC - President Jerry Brown said he supported the type of campaign finance reform opponent Ross Perot proposed. "During my state of the union address in 1994, I called for campaign finance reform. The type of reform Ross Perot has called for is what I support. Newt Gingrich and the Republicans in both houses need to get on board with this" the President stated.

January 29, 1996 - Ahead of Super Tuesday, candidates criss-cross the nation

WASHINGTON, DC - With nine states voting on February 7, the three GOP presidential candidates criss-crossed the United States. Voters in New York, Connecticut, Indiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri, Colorado, Oregon, North Dakota, and Ohio will have their say in the presidential primary process. Seeking to rally his base of fiscal conservatives, moderates, and independents, Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean campaigned in Ohio where he spoke about his tax cut plan and his support for a constitutional amendment to balance the federal budget while reforming major entitlement programs. "My economic plan calls for tax reductions to strengthen the middle class and create jobs while encouraging investment in America. It's the largest tax relief in the history of the world. We'll also be a more competitive place to do business with a balanced budget. At the same time, my plan calls for reforming social security, medicare, and medicaid to ensure these programs survive and cost less while giving state's more flexibility and giving our seniors more choices" Kean told a Cleveland audience. Seeking to win over voters who were going to support Dan Quayle, Elizabeth Dole began emphasizing social issues while in Georgia. She also went after Tom Kean. "I will be a President who will stop Washington D.C. from becoming the center of American power by returning power back to states. But, at the same time, I will defend the pro-life position as described by our forefathers. My opponent says he's personally pro-life, but doesn't believe government should tell people how to live. He's right that government shouldn't tell people how to run their lives, but there is right and wrong in this world and protecting life is right" Dole said. Meanwhile, in Buffalo, NY, Former Ambassador Alan Keyes told voters 1996 would be the year of the conservative. "They are telling us we are too conservative and that a candidate who served under Reagan and wants to return power to the people by ending the income tax and the Department of Education can't win, but I can tell you, this year is the year of the conservative, and we conservatives will prevail despite what the liberal media and liberal establishment says" Keyes stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 08:49:20 PM »

February 2, 1996 - Poll: Kean GOP front-runner

Tom Kean 45%
Elizabeth Dole 40%
Alan Keyes 12%
Other 3%

February 5, 1996 - Speaker Gingrich proposes tax cut package to stimulate economic growth

WASHINGTON, DC - House Speaker Newt Gingrich, joined by other congressional leaders, announced a House Republican tax cut package to promote economic growth. "Our economy is stagnant because the President has made doing business harder with more regulations and a failure to support free trade. We hope he'll join us in at least supporting tax relief to grow the economy" Gingrich stated. The tax cut plan created a flat 8% capital gains tax rate, established a $700 per-child tax credit, reduced the bottom income tax rate from 15% to 12%, and created a "small business tax rate" of 12% so small businesses which paid the individual tax rate could see a reduction. 12 senate Democrats and 50 house Democrats voted for the measure.

February 7, 1996 - Kean wins 7 primaries as Dole wins 2

NEW YORK, NY - GOP Presidential Hopeful Tom Kean won presidential contests in New York, Connecticut, Georgia, Missouri, Indiana, Colorado, Oregon, and Ohio as Elizabeth Dole secured victories in North Dakota and Mississippi.

February 8, 1996 - GOP candidates, Perot take position on GOP House tax cut

WASHINGTON, DC - GOP Presidential Candidates and Independent Presidential Hopeful Ross Perot voiced their position on the House Republican Tax Cut package. Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean said he thought it was " a step in the right direction" but that more tax relief was needed to grow the economy. "I stand by my tax cut plan which cuts taxes on all income tax payers and eliminates the income tax on working people while cutting both the capital gains tax and the corporate tax. Certainly, the Gingrich tax plan is a step in the right direction, but my plan would do even more to help the economy" Kean stated. Former Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole, who was often criticized for not being specific on tax policy, endorsed the plan. "I commend Speaker Gingrich and others for working to come up with a tax plan to help grow the economy and if elected President, I would fight for and sign into law this plan or another plan to help reduce the tax burden on the American people" she stated. Former Ambassador Alan Keyes attacked the plan as not going far enough. "As long as the income tax remains in place, we won't have true economic freedom and so this plan is really just a continuation of the status-quo" Keyes stated. Businessman Ross Perot said he was opposed to the House GOP tax plan because it wasn't paid for. "How does Newt Gingrich plan on paying for a $500 billion tax cut? I'd veto this plan because he has no answer to that question" Perot stated.

February 12, 1996 - President Brown vetoes GOP tax plan, says the economy is improving
WASHINGTON, DC - President Jerry Brown vetoed the House Republican tax cut plan and said he wouldn't be cutting taxes because of the size of the deficit and an improved economy. "Since I took office, we've already delivered tax relief to small businesses and we've seen the creation of nearly 2 million jobs - I don't think we should pass a $500 billion tax cut when we face a $300 billion deficit next year" Brown stated.

February 14, 1996 - Kean wins contests in Arizona, New Jersey, and Wisconsin

PARSIPPANY, NJ - GOP Presidential Hopeful Tom Kean secured victories in Arizona, New Jersey, and Wisconsin. In Arizona, he garnered 45% of the vote, followed by Elizabeth Dole with 42% and Alan Keyes with 10%. In his home state of New Jersey, Kean won 77% of the vote, followed by Dole with 15% and Keyes with 6%. In Wisconsin, Kean beat Dole 47%-35%, with Keyes in a distant third with 15%.

February 17, 1996 - President Brown, Congress disagree over funding of the federal government as revenue falls short of projections

WASHINGTON, DC - After weeks of negotiations between President Brown and congressional leaders, the President and congress disagreed about how to fund the federal government through 1997. Although both sides agreed on a budget agreement for 1996, Brown warned congress than the country faced a $300 billion deficit in 1997. "We are facing a deficit because revenue projections have been slightly off. Speaker Gingrich and his party have been unwilling to consider asking wealthier Americans to pay just five percent more in taxes" Brown stated. House Speaker Newt Gingrich saw the situation differently. "Two years ago, the President signed into law a bi-partisian bill which sought to cut the deficit by this year and the debt, and we've done that. But, we now face the first deficit since 1992 if we don't act. House Republicans have now voted three times to increase local aid to education and for road repairs, we've increased that funding by 15% since 1994 - it's now time to freeze that spending, and it's time not only to cut subsidies which we've done, but to eliminate them.

February 19, 1996 - Dole ends Presidential Bid, endorses Tom Kean

WASHINGTON, DC - Ahead of voting in California, Florida, and Indiana, Former Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole ended her 1996 presidential bid and endorsed Tom Kean for President. "Tom Kean has the experience to lead America into the new millennium. Our nation deserves a President who will lead with integrity and purpose, and I know Tom Kean is that leader" Dole stated.

February 24, 1996 - After wins in Florida, California, and Indiana, Tom Kean secures GOP Nomination for President, Keyes concedes defeat

BOCA RATON, FL - After garnering more than 80% of the votes cast in California, Florida, and Indiana, Former Governor of New Jersey Tom Kean won the necessary delegates to claim victory in the GOP Presidential Primary. "I am honored and humbled by the support of my fellow citizens to represent the Republican Party in this election. Together, we will unite the American public behind a positive vision to shake things up in Washington. Our vision of reducing taxes to promote economic growth, encouraging free markets through free trade, reforming programs like social security, medicare, and medicaid, reforming education, strengthening our military and veteran's programs, and passing a constitutional balanced budget amendment has resonated with the American people" Kean stated. Former Ambassador Alan Keyes conceded the GOP Presidential Nomination and congratulated Tom Kean, but he declined to endorse Kean as the nominee of the Republican Party.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »

March 1, 1996 - President Brown lays out second term agenda

DOVER, NH - Speaking to supporters, President Jerry Brown laid out his second term agenda. "Over the past four years, we've increased funding for local aid to education and infrastructure, cleaned up over 100 environmental waste sites, reformed the campaign finance system, expanded health care for 4 million Americans, and balanced budget" the President stated. Brown said in a second term, he would push for stricter limits on campaign contributions, raising the federal minimum wage by 50 cents, higher fuel efficiency standards for cars, and a new flat 12% tax rate for small businesses.

March 25, 1996 - Gingrich, GOP leadership promise passage of Kean tax cut in 1997

WASHINGTON, DC - House Speaker Newt Gingrich, Senate Majority Leader Don Nickles, and leaders in both houses of congress pledged that if Tom Kean was elected President in 1996, congress would pass his $1.2 trillion tax cut in 1997. "Tom Kean's tax cut will offer millions of Americans tax relief while generating economic growth and Republicans in congress are committed to making passage of the tax cut a top priority next year" Gingrich stated.

April 25, 1996 - Poll: Kean leads

Tom Kean 36%
Jerry Brown 33%
Ross Perot 20%

May 17, 1996 - Perot attacks Kean on trade, Brown on spending

LANSING, MI - Independent Presidential Candidate Ross Perot attacked both of his opponents on the campaign trail in Michigan. Promising to "enforce fair trade to save and bring back American jobs," Independent Presidential Hopeful Ross Perot hit opponent Tom Kean on free trade. "Tom Kean believes that by opening up trade with Mexico and Canada, which will put us at a strategic disadvantage in trade by costing us 500,000 jobs because labor costs are cheaper south of the border, we'll somehow prove we are open for businesses despite American manufacturing being put at risk" Perot stated. Perot's criticism wasn't only for Kean though. "This President has failed to reduce the national debt - in fact he's increased the deficit by 30% and our nation's debt is continuing to grow because we've failed to ask wealthier Americans like me to pay more in taxes and we've failed to reduce spending" Perot stated.

June 1, 1996 - Kean gives speech comparing, contrasting self to Brown

PITTSBURG, PA - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Tom Kean gave a speech comparing and contrasting his record and agenda to that of President Jerry Brown. "I have called for a $1.2 trillion tax reduction where as the President has pushed for a $600 billion tax increase. By reforming medicare, medicaid, and social security - my plan saves taxpayers $100 billion each year. The President's spending programs increases spending by $60 billion every year for the next six years. While I support NAFTA and other free trade agreements to increase our global competitiveness, the President opposes such trade agreements. As a Governor, I increased educational standards and the use of vouchers, this President has slashed school vouchers and has added 2,000 bureaucrats to the Federal Department of Education. I respect the President and his views, but I simply want to lead our nation in a new direction" Kean stated.

June 27, 1996 - Perot selects Glenn for Vice President in surprise to Democrats

COLUMBUS, OH - Independent Presidential Candidate Ross Perot selected Democratic Senator John Glenn of Ohio as his running-mate in the 1996 election. Glen, a loyal Democrat for much of his career, had voted against the Brown administration's policy in Kuwait, as well as the President's FY1993 and FY1994 budgets, which he argued caved to Republicans too much. "John Glen was an early voice in the fight to stop NAFTA and in favor of campaign finance reform. His story is an American story, and I appreciate his willingness to stand up to his political party and the establishment in Washington D.C." Perot said of Glenn.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »

July 2, 1996 - Kean picks Dole as running-mate

CLARK, NJ - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee Tom Kean selected Former Secretary of Transportation and Former Presidential Hopeful Elizabeth Dole as his running-mate in the 1996 election. Dole, the second place finisher in the 1996 Republican Primaries, is considered to be more conservative than Kean. "Elizabeth Dole has the experience to be a great Vice President. We share the same values and ideals" Kean said of his running-mate.

July 27, 1996 - Perot makes 30 minute prime-time address

"For years now, politicians in the two major parties have been controlled by special interests. As a result, they've failed to adequately address reforming our campaign finance system. They've failed to balance the budget, create equality in the tax code, to enforce unfair trade laws, and they have allowed for junk lawsuits to drive up costs of business and health care. As President, I will first address our deficit by raising taxes on those with incomes above $300,000 while cutting spending by 7% across the board with exceptions for medicaid and medicare. I'll eliminate corporate tax loopholes and subsidies, but I will create a lower, 7% flat tax on small businesses. I will put limits on how many contributions companies can make per year and make available corporate donations online. I'll fight to repeal unfair trade agreements, and I'll keep us out of NAFTA. I'm not a politician or a lawyer, I'm a businessman who understands the American economy and the need to create fairness while reducing our debt and growing the job base" - Ross Perot, prime-time address to the American public

July 29, 1996 - Cuomo, DuPont endorse Perot

OCEAN CITY, MD - Former Governors Mario Cuomo (D-NY) and Pete DuPont (R-DE) endorsed Independent Presidential Candidate Ross Perot. "I believe that the special interest control over Washington has gotten out of control, and Ross Perot is the only candidate seeking real reform" Cuomo stated. "I don't always agree with Ross on every issue, but I trust his experience and believe he will lead with integrity" DuPont stated.

August 11, 1996 - Elizabeth Dole accepts GOP Vice Presidential Nomination

"Our party stands for the values of Reagan and Lincoln. We believe in opportunity, equality, justice, and liberty. We believe that Americans deserve to keep more of their own money, that Washington shouldn't interfere in the rights of states, that the free market works best, that family values matter, and that America is a force for good in this world. We've learned during the course of the past eight years that our opponents see things very differently. They promised less debt and lower taxes. Yet, the majority of Americans haven't seen tax relief in a decade and our nation's debt is 30% higher today than it was in 1989. They promised a brighter future for our kids, yet drug use is up 27% since 1989 and violence continues to plaque our inner-cities. They promised more jobs, yet they have created 40% as many jobs as were created under President Reagan. For eight years, our friends in the Democratic Party have controlled the white house. My fellow citizens, it is time for a change" - Elizabeth Dole, speech to Republican National Convention

August 12, 1996 - Tom Kean accepts GOP Presidential Nomination

"The America we seek is one where individuals are empowered to achieve their goals. We must stand up for a government which is effective, limited, and one which best serves the needs of our citizens. As a Governor, I cut taxes, reformed welfare, increased standards and choice in education, and was committed to environmental cleanup and protection. I'm proud of my record but more importantly, I'm proud of New Jersey.Our agenda for the nation is clear. In this campaign, I have proposed and you have voiced support for the largest tax relief in American history, innovative reforms to social security, medicare, and medicaid, increased choice and local control of our schools with higher standards, a passage of NAFTA, a balanced budget amendment and spending restraint, and the rebuilding of our military. Together, we don't stand for one political party. It is my hope that my presidency is an era of national unity, of great purpose, and a time when people of different political ideologies come together to protect our national interests and build a brighter future for all of our people" - Tom Kean, address to Republican National Convention

August 21, 1996 - Douglas Wilder accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"It has been the privilege of a lifetime to serve as your Vice President for these past four years. Working with President Brown, you and I have invested in local aid to education, begun to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, increased funding for health care for the poor and environmental clean up, reduced taxes on small businesses, reformed welfare, and changed our campaign finance system. 2.2 million Americans have found work during the recovery and we've balanced the budget 2 out of our 4 years. I'm proud of that record. But, there is more work to be done. Wages are falling in America today. So, the President and I propose raising the minimum wage and investing in worker re-training programs so more Americans have the skills to work at a job which pays more. The President and I believe that there is more work to be done in the area of campaign finance reform, so we propose public financing of elections. We believe that the best way to reduce crime is to ban weapons which do not belong in the hands of criminals, so we propose a ban on military style assault weapons. We believe in safe communities and a country with unlimited potential" - Douglas Wilder, speech to Democratic National Convention

August 22, 1996 - Jerry Brown accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"My presidency has been defined by a changing culture in Washington D.C. We’ve changed our campaign finance system and changed the way we do business in Washington. We’ve invested in education, environmental cleanup, our infrastructure, health care for the most vulnerable amongst us, and we’ve reformed our campaign finance system. At the same time, we drove Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait and have stood up for human rights and against the exploitation of workers. But, make no mistake about it – our work is not yet finished. Our opponents believe the future demands large tax breaks for the rich and free trade agreements which benefit multinational corporations, but which put half a million manufacturing jobs at risk. In the two decades before I took office, under both Republicans and Democrats, special interests took over Washington D.C. That has changed and today, we as a country are better off than we were when I took office. I believe, as I know you do, that our future belongs to a society which values the work of each individual and a society which remains committed to the values of equality, justice, and peace for all of our people” – Jerry Brown, speech to Democratic National Convention

September 4, 1996 - Poll: Presidential Race up for grabs

Tom Kean 34%
Ross Perot 32%
Jerry Brown 30%

September 24, 1996 - Three Democrats endorse Kean for President

MADISON, WI - Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch, Former Vice President Lloyd Benten, and Senator Zell Miller of Georgia, all Democrats, endorsed Tom Kean for President in 1996, citing Kean's record on environmental protection and commitment to higher educational standards as reasons for endorsing the Republican. "Jerry Brown hasn't done a single thing to help education other than throwing money at the problem" Former Vice President Lloyd Bensten stated.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »

October 2, 1996 - Presidential Candidates debate domestic issues

"Under President Reagan, the United States saw the creation of nearly 16 million new jobs as poverty fell by 16% and incomes rose by over $3,000. In the past eight years, we've only created a third of the jobs we did during the 1980s, wages are down over $1,700, and our national debt has doubled as spending has increased by 28%. What we need is a President who understands that the best way to help the American people grow this economy is by reducing taxes, opening up our markets, and by limiting the power of the federal government. I have called for the largest tax relief in our country's history, a tax cut which will stimulate economic growth by phasing in a lower, flat income tax for small businesses, a reduced corporate tax rate, and a flat 10% capital gains tax. My plan also helps families by eliminating the income tax on working people while reducing it for those earning between $75,000 and $500,000 by 20%. My plan also cuts spending and balances the budget. I'll also enact NAFTA and open up our markets and make America the best place to do business by fighting for litigation reform and to reverse the nearly $10 billion in regulations this President has enacted on small and medium sized businesses. I believe Americans deserve a President who trusts them more than they trust the federal government" - Tom Kean

"Four years ago, Jerry Brown promised that he'd ask the rich to pay their fair share of taxes and that he'd reverse unfair trade agreements. Instead, he's backed off demands for a fairer tax code and he's actually extended twenty free trade agreements with countries which use cheap labor and have poor labor conditions. I'm not a politician, I'm a businessman and my goal is to go to Washington, work with the Republicans and the Democrats, and balance the budget while revitalizing manufacturing by enforcing trade laws which have not been respected. Tom Kean is right that we have a jobs problem in America, but his plan simply slows the growth of federal spending - but his plan only cuts the debt in half by the year 2007, my plan eliminates the debt by 2007. We'll ask the wealthy to pay a higher tax rate of 38% with no loopholes or deductions, we'll cut taxes on small business, and we will institute a 7% across the board spending cut with exemptions for medicare and social security" - Ross Perot

"In January 1993, when I took over as President, the unemployment rate was at it's highest level in eleven years - 6.1%. Last month, the unemployment rate was 5.2% - it's lowest level since May of 1988. Over the past eighteen months, we've seen the creation of 1.7 million American jobs. Last year, our deficit was $250 billion, it is $120 billion this year and if we pass my budget in it's entirety, it will be $20 billion next year and $0 in 1998. We've invested in our people - we've invested in health care for the poor, local aid to education, funding for infrastructure, and we've begun cleaning up environmental waste sites. Furthermore, we've put limits on campaign contributions which has transformed our campaign finance system. After twelve years of broken promises and missed opportunities, our administration has finally changed the culture of Washington D.C. In the next four years, there is more work to be done. We need to raise the minimum wage, cut taxes on lower income earners while asking the wealthy to pay just a little more. We need to invest in higher education through increased pell grants and opportunity scholarships. We should also work aggressively to stop big oil from destroying our environment. I've been a President of the people and will continue to be so in a second term" - Jerry Brown

"I have put out specific proposals about my tax cut plan, how we can save our entitlement programs, how we can balance the budget and reduce debt, and how we can rebuild our military. If we phase out federal subsidies to various industries and instead reduce taxes, if we slow the growth of the federal budget from 19% over the next eight years to 12%, and if we reduce the size of the federal workforce by 25% through attrition, we can achieve a balanced budget next year, we'll eliminate the deficit by 1998, and we will generate a surplus by the year 2000. " - Tom Kean

"The campaign finance reform the President passed and signed into law puts limits on campaign contributions, but it doesn't limit the amount of times a company can donate to political candidates, it doesn't require FEC disclosure of all corporate donations, and it doesn't have any public financing of elections - what I propose has all of those things. Special interests are giving money to my opponents, the Republicans have accepted over $2 million from the pharmaceutical industry and the Democrats have taken $1.4 million from trial lawyers in the past 18 months alone - 97% of my campaign contributions come from individuals." - Ross Perot

"My first term has been committed to changing the culture of Washington D.C. My second term will be about giving our government back to the people. We've begun that process with campaign finance reform, but there is more work to be done. I believe that working Americans can appreciate my fight for raising the federal minimum wage, for universal health care for children, and for standing up for paid medical leave. Republicans in congress have resisted my calls for passage of these things, and my opponent Governor Kean has failed to take a position on these important issues. As a Governor and as President, my primary focus has been making the lives of working Americans better and I believe as best I have been able to do, that has happened. With a second term and hopefully a new congress, we can achieve even more for the working men and women of this country" - Jerry Brown

"I believe that my reform message transcends party lines. Independents and Democrats are joining Republicans in supporting my campaign, as they did during my eight years as a Governor. Reducing taxes on a majority of Americans as well as on investment and business is bi-partisian, as is balancing the budget and opening up our markets so we can compete in this global economy. I've said that I'll continue the President's policy of spending about $2 billion per year on environmental cleanup, I did the same thing as a Governor and that's about the only area where we agree. My campaign is about reforming government and bringing change to Washington, that's not an ideological message in the least" - Tom Kean

"I've worked with Republicans in congress to cut taxes on small businesses, to reform welfare, and I worked with Senators John McCain of Arizona and William Cohen of Maine on campaign finance reform. But, look, there is an ideological difference in this campaign. I've called myself a progressive since I first ran for Governor of California. I've always been a fiscal centrist, but on the important issues of our day, I side with progressive Americans. Governor Kean has shifted in his views. As a Governor, he was close to the political center. In 1982, Governor Kean said he would only reduce taxes so long as he could pay for the tax cut, today he is bragging about pushing for a massive tax cut that he has yet to explain how he'll pay for it. In 1990, he said he was open to the idea of banning assault weapons, today he's opposed. Tom Kean described himself as pro-choice while running for Governor of New Jersey, he has since stated he would keep the Hyde Amendment in place. Ross Perot has said he will cut spending by 7% across the board - that includes cuts to food stamps, education, medicaid, and tax relief for small businesses" - Jerry Brown

"The problem with electing a politician as President is they have to adhere to an ideology consistent with that of their political base, my only political base is the American people because I am not a member of either political party. My agenda is simple: get Americans back to work by protecting our jobs and investing in education, reduce taxes on small businesses, but ask the very rich to pay their fair share so we can reduce the national debt. I'll stop the special interest hold on our politics as we know it today. My opponents are spending millions trying to distort my agenda. The President is telling you I'll cut everything by 7% - the President has created tax credits for small businesses, and he has. My plan doubles those tax credits. My plan increases federal funding for education, but gives the money back to states" - Ross Perot

"I want to make this very clear. I do not support abortion, I believe it is wrong and should be discouraged. However, those are my personal views. As a matter of public policy, I believe that abortion in the first and second trimester must continue to be legal unless Roe Vs. Wade is overturned. I do support a ban on third trimester abortions and I oppose federal funding of abortions. That has been my position throughout my entire career in public office. On the issues of same-sex rights, I believe the issue of marriage is one best left up to the people in each individual state. I won't support legislation legalizing, or banning, same-sex marriage at the federal level. I do support Don't Ask Don't Tell, I agree with the Dukakis administration's implementation of that policy and will continue the policy if elected President" - Tom Kean

"I have consistently protected a woman's right to choose and fought for it as both a Governor and as President. In California, I created a medicaid program where poor women could obtain an abortion because I know that if some women have a right, all women deserve the same rights. I fought the Hyde Amendment and I would love to see it overturned some day. I also look forward to the day when same-sex couples can marry, I think it's a national embarrassment that we discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. I disagree with my Republican opponent and President Dukakis on Don't Ask Don't Tell and I have tried three times to get Republicans in congress to reverse the policy." - Jerry Brown

"I have said from day one that I will protect the laws of the land, and legalized abortion is the law of the land, as is the Hyde Amendment. Same-sex marriage is not the law of the land. My position is that I am pro-choice, but I don't support public funding of abortion from the federal government, though states can do as they please. I also support Don't Ask Don't Tell and would continue the policy if elected President" - Ross Perot

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 09:49:24 PM »

October 10, 1996 - Vice Presidential Candidates Debate

"Tom Kean and I bring to this presidential campaign a bold plan to get people back to work while restoring people's faith in government. I was proud to serve in the Reagan administration and as a non-profit President. I understand leadership and getting the job done. As Governor of New Jersey, Tom Kean brought people together in both political parties to reduce taxes, reform welfare, and invest in environmental clean up. We believe that government should be small, yet effective. Washington D.C. should do a few things, but should send much of what it has been doing over the past three decades back to the states and those governments closest to the American people. We'll go to Washington to fight to cut taxes and balance the budget, which can be accomplished by reducing wasteful spending, reducing the size of the federal bureaucracy, and reforming medicare, medicaid, and social security while preserving those programs for this generation and the next. Under the current administration, federal revenue is down by 12% from 1993 since the incomes of workers are down and joblessness is up. The President's only proposals are to raise the minimum wage and raise taxes on the wealthy, he offers nothing concrete to grow our economy" - Elizabeth Dole

"Four years ago, President Dukakis and Speaker Gingrich were fighting with each other in public as opposed to working together in both private and public. The President and I have worked with Republicans and Democrats in reforming welfare, reforming our campaign finance system, and cutting taxes for small businesses. 1.8 million jobs have been created since last year, our economy is picking up momentum. Governor Kean and Mr. Perot have spent time in this campaign complaining that Washington is broken, but neither of them has actually done anything about it to change that. The President and I have, and we've had good results. We've put forth an ambitious agenda for a second term. We believe that raising the minimum wage to help the working poor and raising taxes on the very rich who got huge tax breaks in the 1980s to balance the budget is crucial. By the way, under our plan, millionaires will pay less now than they did in 1980, but the point is we've got to pay for those things we invest in. Our investments in small business tax credits have had an impact on our economy, as businesses have been able to grow and expand. We've changed the culture of Washington D.C., now it's time to give our government back to the American people" - Douglas Wilder

"Many people wonder why I agreed to be Ross Perot's running-mate after having been a loyal Democrat since I was 18 years old. The answer is, nobody is paying attention to the $4 trillion debt and the loss of our manufacturing base except Ross Perot. I voted against all of President Reagan's budgets and was the one Democrat who voted against President Dukakis's budgets in 1990 and again in 1992 because they didn't address the issue of deficit reduction and paying down the debt. In 1993, I supported President Brown's budget because he off-set $30 billion in aid to local governments with $30 billion in budgetary cuts in other areas. But, this past year, I once again found myself opposing my party's President, and I voted against the President's budget. We have got to stop spending more money than we take in, and we have got to address this $4 trillion. Ross Perot and I are going to do what both Republicans and Democrats fail to do, we are going to increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans by increasing the top tax rate from 28% to 35% and we are going to cut spending across the board, with a few exceptions for our seniors and veterans, by 7%. At the same time, we are going to reduce taxes on businesses of small and medium size by 20% and we are going to enforce trade agreements which aren't being enforced in order to revive the American economy" - John Glenn

"I believe the diversity of experience I have prepares me to be an effective Vice President. I have served as an agency secretary, as a nonprofit President, and in both the public and private sectors. I will be Tom Kean's most trusted advisor and advocate as Vice President. My focus will be on helping the President establish his policies and then I'll work with congress to pass those policies" - Elizabeth Dole

"I have had the honor of being Vice President for the past four years. President Brown has relied on me for advice and I've worked with members of congress on issues such as welfare reform and small business tax credits. The President has sent me on trade missions, to diplomatic meetings, and to businesses to speak with people about job creation. I'm proud of my record and look forward to serving for the next four years" - Douglas Wilder

"I have more foreign policy experience of anyone on this stage, so I suspect I'll be the foreign policy Vice President. I've also fought to protect medicare and funding for education in the U.S. Senate. Ross Perot asked me to join him as his running-mate because throughout my career, I have always put my country's interest ahead of politics, ahead of personal ambition, and ahead of even making a lot of money" - John Glenn

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 10:20:22 PM »

October 10, 1996 - Vice Presidential Candidates Debate

"Tom Kean and I bring to this presidential campaign a bold plan to get people back to work while restoring people's faith in government. I was proud to serve in the Reagan administration and as a non-profit President. I understand leadership and getting the job done. As Governor of New Jersey, Tom Kean brought people together in both political parties to reduce taxes, reform welfare, and invest in environmental clean up. We believe that government should be small, yet effective. Washington D.C. should do a few things, but should send much of what it has been doing over the past three decades back to the states and those governments closest to the American people. We'll go to Washington to fight to cut taxes and balance the budget, which can be accomplished by reducing wasteful spending, reducing the size of the federal bureaucracy, and reforming medicare, medicaid, and social security while preserving those programs for this generation and the next. Under the current administration, federal revenue is down by 12% from 1993 since the incomes of workers are down and joblessness is up. The President's only proposals are to raise the minimum wage and raise taxes on the wealthy, he offers nothing concrete to grow our economy" - Elizabeth Dole

"Four years ago, President Dukakis and Speaker Gingrich were fighting with each other in public as opposed to working together in both private and public. The President and I have worked with Republicans and Democrats in reforming welfare, reforming our campaign finance system, and cutting taxes for small businesses. 1.8 million jobs have been created since last year, our economy is picking up momentum. Governor Kean and Mr. Perot have spent time in this campaign complaining that Washington is broken, but neither of them has actually done anything about it to change that. The President and I have, and we've had good results. We've put forth an ambitious agenda for a second term. We believe that raising the minimum wage to help the working poor and raising taxes on the very rich who got huge tax breaks in the 1980s to balance the budget is crucial. By the way, under our plan, millionaires will pay less now than they did in 1980, but the point is we've got to pay for those things we invest in. Our investments in small business tax credits have had an impact on our economy, as businesses have been able to grow and expand. We've changed the culture of Washington D.C., now it's time to give our government back to the American people" - Douglas Wilder

"Many people wonder why I agreed to be Ross Perot's running-mate after having been a loyal Democrat since I was 18 years old. The answer is, nobody is paying attention to the $4 trillion debt and the loss of our manufacturing base except Ross Perot. I voted against all of President Reagan's budgets and was the one Democrat who voted against President Dukakis's budgets in 1990 and again in 1992 because they didn't address the issue of deficit reduction and paying down the debt. In 1993, I supported President Brown's budget because he off-set $30 billion in aid to local governments with $30 billion in budgetary cuts in other areas. But, this past year, I once again found myself opposing my party's President, and I voted against the President's budget. We have got to stop spending more money than we take in, and we have got to address this $4 trillion. Ross Perot and I are going to do what both Republicans and Democrats fail to do, we are going to increase taxes on the wealthiest Americans by increasing the top tax rate from 28% to 35% and we are going to cut spending across the board, with a few exceptions for our seniors and veterans, by 7%. At the same time, we are going to reduce taxes on businesses of small and medium size by 20% and we are going to enforce trade agreements which aren't being enforced in order to revive the American economy" - John Glenn

"I believe the diversity of experience I have prepares me to be an effective Vice President. I have served as an agency secretary, as a nonprofit President, and in both the public and private sectors. I will be Tom Kean's most trusted advisor and advocate as Vice President. My focus will be on helping the President establish his policies and then I'll work with congress to pass those policies" - Elizabeth Dole

"I have had the honor of being Vice President for the past four years. President Brown has relied on me for advice and I've worked with members of congress on issues such as welfare reform and small business tax credits. The President has sent me on trade missions, to diplomatic meetings, and to businesses to speak with people about job creation. I'm proud of my record and look forward to serving for the next four years" - Douglas Wilder

"I have more foreign policy experience of anyone on this stage, so I suspect I'll be the foreign policy Vice President. I've also fought to protect medicare and funding for education in the U.S. Senate. Ross Perot asked me to join him as his running-mate because throughout my career, I have always put my country's interest ahead of politics, ahead of personal ambition, and ahead of even making a lot of money" - John Glenn

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 10:49:48 AM by dudeabides »

October 17, 1996 - Presidential Candidates Debate Foreign Policy

"The truth is, over the past eight years, we've seen a decline in the size of our military by over 30,000 - I intend to increase the size of the military by 30,000 over a five year period because I believe a strong military is key to preserving peace and keeping the American people safe. I share the philosophy of President Reagan - that the military should be used to protect our national security interests and therefore, resources should be invested in it in order to both protect us while forcing our enemies to fear us and our allies to respect us. However, I also understand the need for diplomacy - I'll build strong alliances with our allies through trade, economic development, and fighting for common values such as the rights of all who value freedom, peace, and democracy. I don't believe our military should be involved in nation building, and I believe the American President must exercise caution before using military force. However, sometimes, using force is necessary and our military should be prepared. This administration has slashed funding for navy ships, some intelligence gathering operations, and certain equipment for our troops. I don't believe that is right" - Tom Kean

"My administration reduced defense spending, as I told Americans I would in 1992 when they elected me, because we are no longer fighting a cold war. When we went into Kuwait to drive Saddam Hussein out, we gave our men and women in uniform the same equipment that President Reagan provided them with. What we have cut from our military in terms of funding and intelligence gathering was at the recommendation of the pentagon. My administration re-directed some of those funds to debt reduction, and others towards humanitarian missions or causes in places such as Haiti where we didn't intervene, but we provided food for thousands of innocent civilians. I believe that our military should always be well funded, but I also believe we have a role to play in providing aid to those who hurt in this world, and that's why we've invested $20 billion more that President Dukakis towards humanitarian aid. But, we've reduced foreign aid to foreign governments and scaled back our military at the advice of our generals" - Jerry Brown

"In 1993, a report by the Joint Chief told the President that we could reduce defense spending by $100 billion per year - this President has reduced the defense budget by half of that. Mr. Kean wants to now increase the defense budget despite this being a time of peace. I will cut the defense budget because the greatest threat to our national security is the $4 trillion debt, and I will fight to eliminate that debt by cutting funding from every department - except funding for veteran's services, social security, and medicaid. So when I say I'll cut the defense budget, it isn't because I want to do some academic exercise, but so we can reduce the debt and deficit. But, in terms of what kind of leader I'll be in foreign policy, I believe working with our allies to promote economic trade is crucial, but I won't tolerate unfair trade agreements which ship our manufacturing jobs overseas by virtue of making it desirable to do so because of trade. I have had to deal with foreign competition while in business, I understand the world we live in not by a briefing I had in Washington, but because I've lived in the real world and have had dealings across the globe"- Ross Perot

October 25, 1996 - Presidential Candidates participate in final debate

"My fellow Americans, our country can do better. As Americans, we have always come together during times good and bad, and we've always done what is right. I am optimistic about the future of this great country and the opportunities the future holds for all of us. On election day, I humbly ask for the honor of serving as President of the United States so we can reform government and change America. My economic plan will reduce taxes, open up our markets, and reduce the regulatory burden of Washington D.C. so we can again create jobs and see rising incomes again. I'll fight to reform medicare, medicaid, and social security to preserve them for future generations as well as this generation. I will fight for higher standards and educational choice to save our schools and to ensure that every child in America gets a great education. I'll fight not only to balance the federal budget, but for a constitutional balanced budget amendment. I believe that by coming together, having respect for one another, and working together, America can achieve great things. I hope to lead that effort" - Tom Kean

"Four years ago, I challenged a status-quo none of us were satisfied with. We were used to having special interests tell us how things were going to be, and politicians in both political parties were used to listening to those special interests. Today, we have changed the culture of Washington D.C. Politicians in both parties are working together and we have managed to invest in education, health care, our roads, and the environment. We've reformed welfare and a special interest hold on our campaign finance system. Over the next four years, I challenge the American people to work with me to give the government back to our people by doing even more to break the special interest hold on Washington. I look forward to leading an effort to raise the minimum wage, investing in more pell grants so more folks can go to college, fighting the NRA and banning dangerous assault weapons, creating higher fuel efficiency standards for our cars, and fighting to end our dependence on foreign sources of energy. As we move into the next century, it's time for us to think about the way of the future and how we'll prosper going forward. These times demand a strong, effective President who will stand on the side of the people, not the special interests, and I ask for your vote" - Jerry Brown

"What got me into this presidential race wasn't some desire to boost my ego, but a growing concern about the national debt and the failures of politicians to enforce trade agreements which have resulted in the loss of over 320,000 manufacturing jobs this decade thus far. The politicians don't want to give it to you straight, so I will. I will ask wealthy Americans like myself to pay more in taxes. I will be cutting spending on almost every program of the federal government by 7%. I will fight for real campaign finance reform, not the version the President signed into law which has done little - my plan restricts how many times folks can contribute to campaigns and allows for partial public financing of elections. I will enforce unfair trade agreements and will keep us out of NAFTA. The American people deserve a President with common sense and a background in business as opposed to a politician. In a decade from now, under my proposal, we will generate a $1 trillion surplus to replace the $4 trillion in debt we are going to give to our kids. We'll grow the economy and really end the special interest hold on Washington. I'm asking for your vote to end the hold the two parties have on Washington" - Ross Perot

November 5, 1996 - Tom Kean Elected President

Tom Kean / Elizabeth Dole (R) 37% 273 EV
Jerry Brown / Douglas Wilder (D) 32% 192 EV
Ross Perot / John Glenn (I) 31% 73 EV

Exit Polling - Election 1996

By political party
Republican - Tom Kean 92% Ross Perot 7% Jerry Brown 1%
Democratic - Jerry Brown 78% Ross Perot 20% Tom Kean 2%
Independent - Tom Kean 40% Ross Perot 34% Jerry Brown 26%

By ideology
Conservative - Tom Kean 95% Ross Perot 4% Jerry Brown 1%
Moderate - Tom Kean 40% Ross Perot 40% Jerry Brown 20%
Liberal - Jerry Brown 82% Ross Perot 15% Tom Kean 3%

By income
Less than $30,000 - Jerry Brown 62% Ross Perot 20% Tom Kean 18%
$30,000-$60,000 - Ross Perot 40% Jerry Brown 37% Tom Kean 23%
$60,000-$120,000 - Tom Kean 42% Ross Perot 38% Jerry Brown 20%
$120,000-$250,000 - Tom Kean 57% Jerry Brown 30% Ross Perot 13%
Above $250,000 - Tom Kean 60% Jerry Brown 32% Ross Perot 8%

By ethnicity
White - Tom Kean 48% Ross Perot 30% Jerry Brown 22%
Black - Jerry Brown 87% Ross Perot 10% Tom Kean 3%
Hispanic - Jerry Brown 49% Tom Kean 30% Ross Perot 21%
Asian - Jerry Brown 45% Tom Kean 35% Ross Perot 20%
Other - Jerry Brown 60% Tom Kean 30% Ross Perot 10%

By gender
Male - Tom Kean 50% Ross Perot 30% Jerry Brown 20%
Female - Jerry Brown 41% Tom Kean 35% Ross Perot 24%

Five Closest States
Ohio - Ross Perot 33.8% Tom Kean 33.5% Jerry Brown 32.7%
Colorado - Tom Kean 34% Jerry Brown 33% Ross Perot 33%
Virginia - Jerry Brown 34% Tom Kean 33% Ross Perot 33%
Vermont - Jerry Brown 36% Ross Perot 35% Tom Kean 29%
Washington - Jerry Brown 37% Tom Kean 36% Ross Perot 27%

Five strongest Tom Kean wins
Idaho - Tom Kean 74% Jerry Brown 20% Ross Perot 6%
Utah - Tom Kean 67% Ross Perot 20% Jerry Brown 13%
New Jersey - Tom Kean 62% Jerry Brown 25% Ross Perot 13%
West Virginia - Tom Kean 57% Jerry Brown 30% Ross Perot 13%
New Hampshire - Tom Kean 45% Jerry Brown 30% Ross Perot 25%

Five strongest Jerry Brown wins
California - Jerry Brown 67% Tom Kean 20% Ross Perot 13%
Massachusetts - Jerry Brown 50% Tom Kean 30% Ross Perot 20%
Delaware - Jerry Brown 42% Tom Kean 33% Ross Perot 25%
Rhode Island - Jerry Brown 40% Tom Kean 31% Ross Perot 29%
Oregon - Jerry Brown 39% Tom Kean 33% Ross Perot 28%

Five strongest Ross Perot wins / showings
Michigan - Ross Perot 47% Jerry Brown 30% Tom Kean 23%
Pennsylvania - Ross Perot 40% Tom Kean 36% Jerry Brown 24%
Missouri - Ross Perot 38% Tom Kean 36% Jerry Brown 26%
Ohio - Ross Perot 33.8% Tom Kean 33.5% Jerry Brown 32.7%
Vermont - Jerry Brown 36% Ross Perot 35% Tom Kean 29%

Most important issue
Economy 34%
Taxes 20%
National Debt 15%
Foreign Policy 10%
Trade 7%
Health Care 7%
Education 5%
Social Issues 1%
Other 1%

CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 04:41:22 PM by CapoteMonster »

Why'd Perot do so well with a incumbent who's views are quite a bit closer to his than Bush's? Was Brown ITL more unpopular than Bush Sr. in OTL?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »

Why'd Perot do so well with a incumbent who's views are quite a bit closer to his than Bush's? Was Brown ITL more unpopular than Bush Sr. in OTL?

With a sluggish economic recovery and a $4 trillion debt, the incumbent had vulnerabilities. However, he did sign into law welfare reform, campaign finance reform, and increased funding for a variety of programs, the incumbent also could claim he had a record of accomplishments. Ross Perot made the argument the incumbent didn't go far enough as it relates to taking on special interests, and he argued the Democrats were big spenders but the Republicans were obsessed with a tax cut ideology. In the end, Tom Kean won the overwhelming support of Republicans as Ross Perot took votes away from President Brown with Democrats.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »

Key events of the Tom Kean Administration, January 20, 1997 - January 1, 1999

-January 24, 1997 - President Kean signs into law The Tax Relief Act of 1997, his tax cut package in it's entirety. The plan will cost $1.2 trillion over an eight year period. Phased in over three years, individuals earning less than $75,000 saw their income taxes eliminated, while those earning between $75,000 and $500,000 saw their income taxes reduced by 20%. The corporate tax rate would fall from 39% to 30% and the capital gains tax rate would be reduced by 20% across the board. Additionally, small businesses will see their taxes reduced to a flat, 10% rate. Corporate tax loopholes and tax deductions except for expenses related to education and the charitable deduction will also be phased out
-March 1, 1997 - President Kean enacts the North American Free Trade Agreement
- June 27, 1997 - President Kean signs into law a constitutional balanced budget amendment, requiring the federal budget to be balanced. The law exempted the defense budget and funding for veteran's health care.
- September 5, 1997 - President Kean pushes congress to block-grant medicaid to the states
- October 7, 1997 - President Kean signs into law the Social Security Means Testing Act into law. The new program means tested social security, raised the social security retirement age by five years, and added 40 years to the life of social security.
- December 1, 1997 - President Kean and House Speaker Newt Gingrich announce that by 2002, the size of the U.S. military will be larger by 40,000 troops. Congress also agreed to restore $20 billion in intelligence funding cut by the Brown administration.
- January 12, 1998 - President Kean signs into law a bi-partisian bill establishing a federal infrastructure bank. The law dedicates 10% of the federal gasoline tax to go into the fund
- March 20, 1998 - President Kean signs into law a budget which slashes federal subsidies across the board by 50%. The President wanted to eliminate all federal subsidies, but compromised with congress. In exchange, congress would create a commission to study the effectiveness of federal subsidy programs.
- June 1, 1998 - President Kean signs into law the Medicare Reform Act, which created health care savings accounts for those on medicare while slowing the growth of medicare for wealthier seniors.
- August 25, 1998 - President Kean vetoes a bill giving tax credits for manufacturers
- October 1, 1998 - President Kean signs into law a Democratic bill extended Former President Brown's commitment to spend $700 million per year on environmental cleanup projects
- December 5, 1998 - President Kean signs into law the State Health Care Funding Act of 1998, giving state's federal funds to set up health care programs for low income children

January 7, 1999 - Evan Bayh announces presidential campaign

IOWA CITY, IA - Governor of Indiana Evan Bayh announced he would be a candidate for the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Today, I announce that I will be a candidate for President in the year 2000. I am running for President because I believe that in this era of great economic prosperity, we have an obligation to make investments in science and technology while continuing to balance our budget. The President needs to be challenged by a Democrat who won't deny the prosperous economy, but also a Democrat who will push for us to invest in the future" Bayh told CNN.

January 24, 1999 - Gore to run for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Senate Minority Whip Al Gore announced he would be a candidate for the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Despite the economic growth we have experienced over the past four years, too many Americans have been left behind in failing schools, in urban centers with high levels of crime, and we aren't doing all we can to protect our environment. This President is fundraising and telling people that all of our problems have been solved. This is not the case for millions of Americans, and it’s time they had an advocate" Gore stated.

February 15, 1999 - Perot: No to 2000 presidential run

AUSTIN, TX - At a press conference in Austin, Texas, 1996 Presidential Candidate Ross Perot declared he would not run for President again in 2000. "I think we brought the national debt, campaign finance reform, and trade issues to the forefront of the 1996 presidential race. I came as close as any independent candidate has come since the beginning of the century and I will continue to speak out about the important issues facing our country, but I won't be a presidential candidate in 2000" Perot stated.

March 2, 1999 - Tom Harkin enters presidential race

DES MOINES, IA - Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa became the third Democrat to enter the 2000 Democratic Presidential Primaries. "Tom Kean has ignored the fact that we have lost more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs this decade, farm income is at it's lowest levels in four decades, and fuel costs are more than 15% higher today than the day the President took office. My fellow citizens, in the U.S. Senate I have been fighting for middle class families. I fought for the farm income stabilization program, for small business tax credits, and to increase pell grants so more Americans can go to college. I'll bring to this campaign a track record of fighting for the middle class, and so I announce I am running for President of the United States in the year 2000" Harkin stated.

April 12, 1999 - Carper enters 2000 presidential race

DOVER, DE - Governor of Delaware Tom Carper entered the 2000 presidential race. "In Delaware, we've done what President Kean has failed to do in Washington. We expanded medicaid to cover every poor child in our state with health insurance, we have increased the number of police on our streets, we've strengthened legislation increasing penalties for those who engage in hate crimes, and we've reduced taxes for the bottom 10% while increasing taxes on the top 2% to balance our budget, and for two years in a row, we've had growing surpluses. I believe that if we do what is right in Washington, America can combat inequality and injustice, make our community's safer, and act in a fiscally responsible manner, and so I'm running for President" Carper stated.

April 25, 1999 - Cardin entering 2000 presidential race

MANCHESTER, NH - Congressman Ben Cardin of Maryland entered the 2000 presidential race. "For the past four years, I've been one of the few elected officials in either party who has fought the Kean agenda. I was one of only 40 House Democrats who opposed the Kean tax cut because it's cost is too high. I was one of 10 who stood up to President Kean and voted against his social security scheme because it didn't ask the wealthiest Americans to pay a cent more for social security. I led the fight to get the President to increase funding for environmental protection when he wanted to slash the EPA budget by 25%. While others have sat by in silence, I have stood up for the values of the Democratic Party" Cardin told supporters.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:30 PM »

May 1, 1999 - Dick Durbin enters 2000 presidential race

CHICAGO, IL - Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois entered the 2000 presidential race. "Too many Americans lack health care, are victims of gun violence, breath air which is polluted, and go to failing schools. President Kean hasn't addressed the struggles of ordinary Americans. I will. As President, I will fight for universal health care, a ban on assault weapons, cap and trade to protect our planet, and I will raise standards in the classroom" Durbin declared.

June 2, 1999 - Glenn: Democrats will lose in 2000

CLEVELAND, OH - Senator John Glen, Ross Perot's running-mate in the 1996 presidential election, said that President Kean would win re-election when asked about the Democrat's 2000 presidential prospects. "The Democrats will lose in 2000, period. Look, we have some problems with manufacturing jobs leaving the U.S. and money still controls a lot in politics, but the deficit has been eliminated, taxes have been reduced, the economy is stronger today than it's been since at least 1988, I think the President is going to be re-elected" Glenn told reporters when asked about his plans in 2000. "I am a Democrat despite running as an independent in 1996, but I need to be honest: we aren't going to win the white house next year unless something big happens" Glenn added.

June 27, 1999 - Newt Gingrich announces 2000 U.S. Senate bid

WASHINGTON, DC - House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who had been serving as Speaker of the House for eight years, announced he would run for the U.S. Senate in the 2000 U.S. Senate race in Georgia. "As Speaker, I fought the Democrats and stopped massive tax increases and socialized medicine earlier this decade. I wrote the law reforming our welfare system. I have worked with the President to pass the largest tax relief in history, meaningful reforms to social security and medicare, a constitutional balanced budget amendment, and a rebuilding of our military. I believe that I can best represent the people of Georgia in the U.S. Senate" Gingrich stated. Hypothetical polling has found Gingrich dominating the GOP field, and leading Incumbent Senator Zell Miller 45%-41%.

July 15, 1999 - Harkin lays out presidential agenda in New Hampshire, picks up 2 major endorsements

MANCHESTER, NH - Democratic Presidential Candidate Tom Harkin won the support of Former Vice President Douglas Wilder (D-VA) and Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ) while speaking to voters about his presidential agenda in New Hampshire."Be it unequal educational opportunities, inner-city crime, falling farm income, or the loss of manufacturing jobs, this President has failed to address the important issues confronting our country. I've spent my career fighting for the middle class and those left behind, and I'll fight for them as President" Harkin stated. Harkin called for a repeal of the Kean tax cut for those earning over $150,000 per year and using the money to reduce the debt, increase funding for drug prevention programs and gun buy-back programs in inner-cities, as well as expanding health care coverage for every child in the U.S. Additionally, Kean called for tax breaks for companies which expand or create manufacturing jobs in the U.S., increased pell grants and low-interest student loans for those who want to attend college, and he called for reversing President Kean's reductions in farm subsidies.

July 27, 1999 - Poll: Gore, Carper lead for 2000, Kean dominates

Democratic Nomination
Al Gore 33%
Tom Carper 30%
Evan Bayh 15%
Tom Harkin 12%
Ben Cardin 7%
Dick Durbin 2%
Other 1%

General Election Match Ups

Tom Kean 47%
Al Gore 41%

Tom Kean 49%
Evan Bayh 39%

Tom Kean 50%
Tom Carper 33%

August 5, 1999 - Al Gore gives speech highlighting agenda after weeks of major endorsements and momentum

IOWA CITY, IA - Democratic Presidential Candidate Al Gore picked up endorsements from Governor Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Senator Ernest Hollings (D-SC), Senator Bob Graham (D-FL), Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT), Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle (D-SD), and Former Secretary of State under President Jerry Brown Tom Foley (D-WA). "I believe Americans want an ambitious agenda to move our country in the right direction, and I think my experience prepares me to be able to lead our country in that new direction" Gore stated. Gore called for a ban on assault weapons, a cap and trade program to reduce CO2 emissions, expanding SCHIP, and a prescription drug plan which would allow the private sector to compete with medicare to lower costs. Gore also said he would pass a veterans bill of rights to guarantee veterans health care costs would be paid for 100% and he said he'd push for more free trade.

September 21, 1999 - President Kean launches re-election bid

PARSIPPANY, NJ - President Tom Kean and Vice President Elizabeth Dole traveled to New Jersey to launch their 2000 re-election campaign. "Today, with confidence and with an even greater sense of duty and purpose, I announce I will stand as a candidate for re-election as President of the United States. Over these past four years, you and I have worked together. We've accomplished goals which were once seen as impossible. We passed the largest tax relief in the history of our country, meaningful reforms to protect social security and medicaid, NAFTA has been implemented, we are cleaning up environmental waste sites, we've begun to rebuild our military, we've expanded health care coverage to over 1.7 million children who lacked it before, and our veterans are getting their health care needs met at upgraded facilities. Local control has been restored to our schools and our communities are safer with over 22,000 more police on our streets. The deficit has been eliminated, the budget has been balanced for 3 of the last 4 years, we are paying down our nation's debt, over 7 million jobs have been created, welfare rolls are half of what they were when I took office, and incomes are rising. While we have seen a growing economy and a fiscal house that is finally in order, there is more work to be done. While test scores in our schools have increased and the number of students graduating high school has increased, too many of our schools still fail to meet the standards we set out. While crime has been reduced by 38% since 1996, drug use has increased by 7%. We've reformed social security and medicare, medicaid costs are increasing. While we have invested $2.8 billion in federal dollars towards environmental cleanup, our inner-cities are still plagued with too much pollution. We are headed in the right direction, but there is more work to do, and the Vice President and I intend to get things done over the next four years" the President stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2014, 10:31:30 PM by dudeabides »

September 27, 1999 - Democratic Presidential Candidates hold first Debate

"President Kean and the Republican Congress are going to tell the American people that everything in America is just fine. Look, no one can deny that we have seen good jobs numbers for some time now. But, there are still millions of Americans who are falling behind. In Indiana, I have a reputation of taking on tough problems on a bi-partisian basis, and that's the kind of attitude I'll bring to Washington D.C. I have called for smaller class sizes in America's schools, merit pay for teachers, and annual standardized testing to judge how our public schools are doing. Schools which aren't achieving what they should be should be shut down and re-opened with new leadership. Education is going to be the defining issue in the 2000 election because over the last four years, while average test scores are up, the poorest districts in America have seen steady decline for two decades, and no one has addressed this injustice. In Indiana, I signed bi-partisian tenure reform and merit pay for teachers, so I know it works" - Evan Bayh

"In the United States Senate for the past 15 years, I have fought everyday to make a difference. I fought against President Reagan's cuts to food stamps and medicaid, and sponsored the bill to expand medicaid under President Dukakis. It was my bill which expanded funding for the VA by 17%. I fought for increased penalties against corporations which pollute our air and water. As Senate Minority Whip for the past four years, I worked with the administration to expand funding for environmental cleanup, and stopped the President's planned block-grant of medicaid which would have resulted in reduced oversight and stretched funding of the program. My agenda for this country is clear. I pledge to the American people that I will reverse the President's tax cuts for those earning more than $150,000 and instead use that money to add more police on America's streets and provide health insurance to every child in America. I will fight for, pass, and sign a ban on assault weapons. I will fight for a cap and trade program to stop global warming. My experience and the values I hold define who I am, and I'm confident in my ability to lead this country" - Al Gore

"This election is truly about the heart and soul of America. In 1996, Tom Kean promised the American people he would unite our country behind an agenda which would benefit 100% of Americans. The tax cuts he's implemented have benefited Wall Street, but manufacturing jobs and farm income are down. In the U.S. Senate, I fought for the farm income stabilization program and as President, I'll restore tax cuts for family farmers and I will get us out of NAFTA so we can bring manufacturing back to America. The President promised to reform medicare, medicaid, and social security. In the U.S. Senate, I joined with Al Gore in fighting the President on block-granting medicaid and we won. I will preserve medicare, medicaid, and social security and repay the trust funds within eight years as President. President Kean has allowed funding for infrastructure repairs to expire, I'll extend the Brown administration's infrastructure repair program as President. Finally, this President has opposed an increase in the federal minimum wage. As a U.S. Senator, I fought on a bi-partisian basis for worker retraining programs to help workers have skills needed for high waged jobs. As President, I'll fight to raise the minimum wage and to increase funding for worker re-training programs. This election is about fighting for the middle class, and that's just what I intend to do as President" - Tom Harkin

"In the election to come, Americans deserve a choice. I say we should give them a choice. I've been a Governor for the past seven years and in that time I've had to deal with issues which are being dealt with nationally. All of us up here support major reforms to education, a reversal of President Kean's tax breaks for wealthier Americans, enforcing unfair trade agreements, expanding medicaid, and raising our minimum wage. All of us have fought for the forgotten middle class in America. So, what we should be judged by is our ability to win in the year 2000. I have the ability to unite Democrats and Independents behind a fiscally conservative, socially progressive banner. In Delaware, I have reduced state debt and balanced the budget as required by law. We invested in more police on our streets and in education, but cut spending by consolidating departments of government and privatizing services. I also signed into law a domestic partnership bill for same-sex couples and appointed justices who support a woman's right to choose. I'll happily compare my record to anyone up here. I have a five point plan to renew the promise of America in the new century. First, I will use 100% of the funds from reversing the tax cuts for those earning above $150,000 to pay down the debt. Secondly, I will consolidate the EPA and Department of Energy, as well as the Department of Labor and Commerce. Thirdly, I will sign into law a bill increasing the number of police on America's streets by 20,000 by 2005. Then, I will work with congress to pass stricter penalties against those who commit hate crimes. Then, I will fight to repeal NAFTA and reduce taxes on manufacturers, something this President has refused to do. This is an ambitious agenda, but it's an agenda I believe can win the day and make this next century a great American century" - Tom Carper

"My hope is that in this election, Democrats fight for the values we believe in. I won’t apologize for having one of the most liberal voting records in the entire House of Representatives. Al Gore, Tom Carper, and Tom Kean have avoided confronting some of the underlying issues in education, as it relates to inequality in our society, and in the area of protecting the rights of homosexuals in the military - I didn't vote for Don't Ask Don't Tell, and I will let our homosexual brothers and sisters join the military if that's their desire. As President, I will fight for a single payer universal health care system, a $10.00 minimum wage, universal pre-K, a ban on assault weapons, and an end to subsidies for big oil. In this time of economic prosperity, we aren’t going to win saying the President’s economic policies are failing, but we will win by saying the President isn’t focusing on the issues still confronting everyday Americans. My job, as the nominee of the Democratic Party, is to contrast our values versuses the values the Republicans believe in. I’m proud to have the highest rating by three pro-choice groups in America, to have been endorsed by the National Education Association every year I’ve run for congress, and I’m proud George Soros has endorsed my presidential campaign. It’s time we Democrats admitted we are progressives instead of disguising ourselves as centrists” – Ben Cardin

"I may not be the front-runner in the race, but I believe at the end of the day, Americans want a fresh start and I'm the candidate in this race who offers that fresh start. Let's work to provide every American with health insurance, have public financing of elections, raise our minimum wage, and roll back the Kean tax cuts - which Senator Gore voted for, and instead invest in education and paying down the national debt. The political establishment in Washington didn't like the fact that, unlike Senator Gore, I voted against the balanced budget amendment because I don't believe subjecting social security, medicare, and medicaid to possible cuts is a good thing. Unlike Senator Gore and Governor Carper, I opposed welfare reform because it took powers away from the states. I'm not afraid to take on the tough issues and have the support of individuals, not big money and special interests in Washington D.C. or elsewhere. Democrats like Senator Gore and Governor Carper have supported President Kean on welfare reform, changing the constitution, education policy, and even his social security scheme. I think we should stand up to the Republicans and like Congressman Cardin says, lets offer Americans a real choice in this election" - Dick Durbin

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »

October 5, 1999 - Carper talks 5-point agenda, wins endorsements

DES MOINES, IA - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Tom Carper won endorsements from Senators Joe Biden (D-DE), Paul Sarbanes (D-MD),  and Chuck Robb (D-VA), as well as Governors Parris Glendening (D-MD), Jim Hodges (D-SC), and Angus King (I-ME). Carper spoke about his top priorities if elected President in 2000. "Education reform, making health care affordable, taking on crime and drugs in our communities, reforming our tax code, and encouraging economic trade internationally are key to investing in the future of our country. My experience as a Governor has taught me how to get things done and we took on these challenges in our state" Carper stated. Carper called for a national math and reading curriculum and for a funded mandate that students with learning differences be given extra help after school. He put forth a health care plan which extended SCHIP to cover every child in the U.S. and called for the creation of allowing the uninsured to pool together through community health pools to lower the cost of insurance with a federal tax deduction for the cost of health care. Carper said he would fight for longer mandatory sentences for hate crimes and would fight to increase funding for drug rehab programs while also encouraging cities to invest in comp-stat to fight crime. Carper called for the full repeal of the Kean tax cuts for those earning more than $150,000. Carper said he would have two income tax brackets - 20% for those earning $150,000 - $500,000 per year and 40% for those earning more than $500,000 per year. Carper also called for an increase in the corporate tax rate from 30% to 35% to help fund medicaid and medicare.

October 15, 1999 - After winning endorsements, Bayh declares self as the "Democrat who can win"

CHARLESTON, SC - Fresh of winning endorsements from Senator Carol Moseley Braun (D-IL), Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch (D-NY), and Governors Roy Barnes (D-GA) and Former Governor James Blanchard (D-MI), Presidential Candidate Evan Bayh presented himself as the most electable Democratic Presidential Candidate. "I think my record of reducing taxes, balancing eight budgets, and generating a surplus for the last three years in Indiana makes me the most electable Democrat in 2000" Bayh stated. Bayh pledged that if elected President, he would ask the wealthy to pay a 34% income tax rate as opposed to the current 31% to pay for phasing out the employee part of the payroll tax. Bayh also pledged to increase funding for local cops programs, to strengthen the Violence Against Women Act, to enter the Kyoto Treaty, and to use the federal budget surplus to pay down the national debt. Bayh is the only candidate in the presidential race who supports the Kean tax cut for those earning less than $1 million as opposed to under $150,000 and he praised President Kean's position on education policy. However, he was critical of the President's policy as it relates to the minimum wage and medicare.

November 1, 1999 - Gingrich to resign as Speaker to focus on U.S. Senate run, wins President Kean, Vice President Dole endorsements

ATLANTA, GA - House Speaker Newt Gingrich will resign from his post as House Speaker effective January 5, 2000 to focus instead on his 2000 Georgia U.S. Senate bid. Recent polling has found Gingrich leads the GOP field for the nomination, garnering more than 60%. In a match-up against Incumbent Senator Zell Miller, Gingrich leads 48%-42%. President Tom Kean and Vice President Elizabeth Dole endorsed Gingrich's U.S. Senate race. Gingrich was first elected to the U.S. House in 1978 and became House Speaker in 1991 after Republicans won a majority in 1990.

November 17, 1999 - With White House's urging, Watts to become House Speaker

WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman J.C. Watts of Oklahoma, who, along with Newt Gingrich, sponsored President Kean's tax cut in the U.S. House and also sponsored President Kean's social security reform plan, was elected by Congressional Republicans to become House Speaker effective January 5, 2000. President Kean supported Watts for the job on the basis that he was "a loyal ally of the white house who stands for the values he believes in." Of the 227 Republicans in the House, 132 supported Watts for House Speaker, while 93 supported the #3 Republican in the House, John Boehner, for the position. 2 members supported Congressman Bob Barr. Outgoing House Speaker Newt Gingrich and House Majority Leader Dick Armey supported Watts for Speaker.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

December 1, 1999 - Candidates strategies become apparent as sparks fly in Democratic Primary

IOWA CITY, IA - Considered by most to be the front-runner for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, Senate Minority Leader Al Gore made his strategy apparent when he told an audience in Charleston, SC that South Carolina would "point the way" towards who would be the Democratic Presidential Nominee in 2000. Gore's campaign has largely skipped the Iowa Caucus and instead focused on winning contests in New Hampshire, Michigan, and South Carolina. The Gore campaign felt that Iowa was a lost cause and that native son Tom Harkin would easily win the caucus. Instead, Gore will campaign in the other early states, where he has made the argument that he is the best positioned to win a general election. Governor of Delaware Tom Carper, considered Gore's main opponent nationally, is focusing heavily on winning in New Hampshire, where Carper hopes his outsider message will resonate with independent voters. Like Carper, long shot candidate Governor Evan Bayh of Indiana hopes that he can win over independent voters in New Hampshire. Bayh has attacked Carper as "unelectable" and criticized Carper for opposing charter schools and a federal constitutional balanced budget amendment. Bayh believes he and Carper are the two candidates most likely to compete for the political center in New Hampshire and beyond. Running as a more populist alternative to Al Gore and Tom Carper, Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa has focused on securing victories in his home state of Iowa, as well as Michigan. Carper, running on fair trade, a reversal of NAFTA, tax incentives for manufacturing, and raising the minimum wage, has been the most vocal critic of Al Gore in the Democratic Primary - accusing Mr. Gore of being part of the political establishment in supporting NAFTA, the Kean tax cut, and Tom Kean's social security program. Running as an ideological liberal, Congressman Ben Cardin of Maryland has taken his message to Iowa. He has accused all of his opponents of pandering to the political center, though he rarely mentions any of his opponents by name. Also running as a liberal alternative to the front-runners, Senator Dick Durbin is using his presidential campaign as a platform to attack Congressional Republicans, and he's taking his message to all of the early primary and caucus contest states.

December 8, 1999 - Former President Brown endorses Tom Carper for President

DOVER, DE - Former President Jerry Brown endorsed Tom Carper for the 2000 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Tom Carper has been a remarkable Governor for Delaware; he understands the need to invest in education and fighting crime while also being fiscally responsible without hurting the middle class and working Americans. What we Democrats need is someone who can win the election in 2000 and can unite this country behind an ambitious agenda, and I believe based on his record and his platform, Tom Carper has the best chance to win and govern" Brown stated.

December 15, 1999 - Former President Dukakis backs Tom Harkin for President

LANSING, MI - Former President Michael Dukakis backed the presidential bid of Tom Harkin. "I have known Tom Harkin for 12 years and I know he's a man of integrity. My presidency was defined by a commitment to rebuild the middle class and at every step of the way, be it by increasing pell grants for students, reducing the payroll tax for employees, or expanding medicaid. At every step of the way, I could count on Tom Harkin's support. He understands the need for good jobs and a strong middle class, and he's the man I believe we need to lead our country" Dukakis said.

December 18, 1999 - Wilder supports President Kean for re-election

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Vice President Douglas Wilder endorsed President Tom Kean's re-election after meeting with the President at the white house. A Democrat who was elected Vice President in 1992 before losing re-election to the Kean/Dole ticket in 1996, Wilder says Kean is "the best man for the job." "Four years ago, I ran with President Brown against President Kean and Vice President Dole. I am very proud of my record as Vice President and the record of President Brown. But, I believe that the President and the Vice President have done a great job. They've managed to reform social security and medicare - both considered the third rail of American politics. They have continued to fund environmental cleanup. Obviously, they have been great stewards of our economy since the economy has added 7.4 million jobs since they took office. They have my full support in the year 2000" Wilder stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »

January 4, 2000 - Iowa Caucus: Harkin wins handily

DES MOINES, IA - Senator Tom Harkin won his home state's caucus by a comfortable margin. With all precincts reporting, Harkin won 44% of the vote, followed by Al Gore with 25%, Tom Carper with 12%, Evan Bayh with 9%, Ben Cardin with 6%, Dick Durbin with 3%, and 1% going to other candidates. Exit polling found Harkin winning with self-described liberals, as well as with voters who considered the economy the top issue. Al Gore narrowly won the votes of independents, with Harkin just two points behind Gore with independent voters. Despite Harkin's overwhelming victory, by a margin of 41% to 38%, caucus voters view Gore as the most electable Democratic Presidential Candidate.

January 8, 2000 - New Hampshire Primary: Tom Carper secures victory, Harkin in surprise second place as Durbin ends presidential bid

MANCHESTER, NH - Governor of Delaware Tom Carper won New Hampshire's presidential primary, garnering 38% of the vote. Despite polls showing him in fourth or even fifth place, Senator Tom Harkin won 33% of the vote in New Hampshire. Senate Minority Leader Al Gore won just 15% of the vote, a big disappointment to his campaign. In fourth with 8%, Indiana Governor Evan Bayh vowed to stay in the presidential race. 4% of the vote went to Maryland Congressman Ben Carden, while Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois won just 1% of the total votes cast. Durbin ended his presidential bid. Exit polling found that key to Carper's victory was independent voters; Tom Harkin won the votes of the most liberal Democrats, while moderates were evenly split between Carper and Harkin. Independents favored Carper 50% - 28% over Al Gore. Unlike in Iowa, Carper is seen as the most electable Democrat by New Hampshire primary voters.

January 12, 2000 - Michigan Primary: Harkin upsets Gore

DETRIOT, MI - Senator Tom Harkin and Senate Minority Leader Al Gore spent a long night awaiting a victor in Michigan's presidential primary. In the end, Harkin beat Gore by a mere 7,274 votes - each candidate won roughly 32% of the vote. Governor of Delaware Tom Carper finished third with 25%, followed by Indiana Governor Evan Bayh with 9% and Maryland Congressman Ben Cardin with 1% of the votes cast. Key to Harkin's victory was the support of liberal voters once again. According to exit polling, Harkin beat Al Gore and Tom Carper with liberals, while Gore won with moderates and Carper won the overwhelming majority of independents. Also key to Harkin's victory was voter turnout amongst organized labor who endorsed his 2000 presidential campaign.

January 15, 2000 - South Carolina Primary: Gore wins landslide victory, Cardin withdrawals

CHARLESTON, SC - As expected, Senate Minority Leader Al Gore won a decisive victory in South Carolina's presidential primary, garnering 60% of the vote. In second place was Delaware Governor Tom Carper with 21%, followed by Indiana Governor Evan Bayh with 9%, Iowa Senator Tom Harkin with 8%, and Maryland Congressman Ben Cardin with 1%. Cardin announced the end of his 2000 presidential campaign.

January 16, 2000 - Bayh exits presidential race, endorses Al Gore

NASHVILLE, TN - Governor of Indiana Evan Bayh exited the 2000 presidential race and announced his support for Al Gore. "Al Gore has what it takes to lead our party to victory in 2000 because of his experience and the values he is articulating in this campaign" Bayh declared.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

January 18, 2000 - Ahead of contests in Delaware, Alabama, Alaska, and Oregon, candidates debate

"In the U.S. Senate, I have been the strongest advocate for working families. I fought for the farm income stabilization program, for the first minimum wage increase in over a decade, for the largest payroll tax reduction for workers in history, and for the first federal school lunch program in our nation's history. While I was fighting for these things and challenging the status-quo, Senator Gore was sitting down with this President and negotiating a massive tax break for Wall Street, a balanced budget amendment which puts at risk the future of social security and medicare, and he applauded the implementation of NAFTA which has cost us 417,000 manufacturing jobs" - Tom Harkin

"Let me respond to the attempts by my friend Tom Harkin to distort my record. As Senate Minority Whip, I wrote the bill which extended environmental cleanup funding. Along with Orin Hatch, Ted Kennedy, and John McCain I passed the largest children's health insurance bill in history. Working with the President, I fought to add 40 years to the life of social security while reducing the growth of the program for wealthier Americans to preserve it for 95% of Americans. I stopped the President from repealing the campaign finance reforms we put in place under the previous administration, and I took on this President's budgets because it increases defense spending to Cold War levels during a time of peace. I'm proud of my record. When I was opposing President Reagan's cuts to medicaid and food stamps, Senator Harkin was voting for his last three budgets. So, Senator Harkin isn't really fighting for working Americans" - Al Gore

"I think people can look at my record as Governor and what they'll see is someone who can get positive things done. In the last seven years, we have implemented education policies which have allowed for more local control of our schools, but we also demand results and cut state funding from those schools which fail children and use the money to allow parents to send their kids to any public or private school in our state. Our state went from 19th to 8th in education. Government is smaller by some 8,000 workers and we've added thousands of cops to our streets, crime is down in Delaware today. I reformed our tax code to give relief to the poorest in our state while asking the wealthy to pay just a little bit more. I inherited a $290 million budget gap and today, we have a $117 million budget surplus. I'll take my experience in Delaware with me to Washington to reform our education system, reduce crime in our communities, and reform our tax code to help lower income Americans get tax relief" - Tom Carper

"My agenda for this country is very clear. I believe the unfinished work of reversing the tide of global warming through implementing a cap and trade system to reduce CO2 emissions is crucial. Encouraging green energy is also key to ending our dependence on foreign sources of oil. Encouraging trade that is free and fair is key to encouraging further economic growth long term. Banning military style assault weapons and having mandatory sentences for drug kingpins is key to reducing crime and the use of drugs in our inner-cities where drug use has gone up under Tom Kean by more than 25%. I’ll reverse the Kean tax cut for those earning above $150,000 per year and instead add police to our streets and provide health insurance to every child in America. Building on the campaign finance reform we passed under President Brown by limiting corporate donations further is key to giving our government back to the American people. That’s my agenda and I think it’s an agenda which will ultimately win the day in the election of 2000” – Al Gore

“I’ll win in 2000 because I’m the one candidate in this race who is standing up and fighting for working Americans. As I stated earlier, I have a record of fighting for the underdog in the U.S. Senate. We’ve lost 420,000 manufacturing jobs, farm income is down, drug use in our inner-cities is up, and inequality in our society is growing. These issues are not issues we can afford to ignore, and I’m going to make the argument that the policies of this administration are failing the American people. I have specific proposals to combat all of these challenges, the President does not. When we debate in the fall, you will see two very different visions for our future. The President will argue the status-quo is working, I’ll argue that too many Americans are being left behind. His agenda is more of the same, my agenda is a series of bold solutions aimed at helping working men and women in America. I also find it interesting how Senator Gore was one of only 17 Democrats who broke with the rest of us and supported the Kean tax cut which was unpaid for and which primarily benefitted Wall Street and large corporations” – Tom Harkin

“Let me be clear on the issue of the Tax Relief Act of 1997. At the time, I said I believed to pay for the tax cut, those earning more than $150,000 per year should pay more. I voted for the tax cut because it was an opportunity to eliminate the income tax for those earning less than $75,000 while giving a 20% tax cut to middle class Americans. Additionally, small and medium sized businesses got their largest tax break in history. I stand by my vote. It was the right vote. In my career, I have voted for $2 trillion in tax reductions and $200 billion in tax increases. By contrast, Senator Harkin has voted for $600 billion in new taxes and just $300 billion in tax reductions. Believe me, the Republicans will make an issue of that in the general election” – Al Gore

"I'm the only candidate on this stage who has actually balanced a budget, in fact I've balanced 8 of them. For the first time in decades, the United States federal government has a budget surplus. Last year it was $80 billion, we will have a $200billion surplus this year and by 2004, that number is expected to be close to $310 billion. The question is, what will we do with this surplus? President Kean proposes half the surplus be used for paying down the debt, 25% of it will go to the military, and the remainder of it will go towards medicare, social security, and balancing the budget. I agree with the first part of his proposal, but I don't believe we should be using surplus money to balance the budget when we should be balancing the budget through general revenue funds. I don't believe we should increase the defense budget when the pentagon never asked for it. I believe that the remaining half of the surplus should go towards social security and medicare" - Tom Carper

"I do believe there are some differences between us on foreign policy as well as domestic policy. Senator Gore voiced disappointment in President Dukakis that he didn't send troops to Kuwait to confront Saddam Hussein. Senator, our military should always be well equipped and well funded, but we shouldn't be intervening in places where our national security interests are not at stake. I don't believe in nation building or intervention just because we don't like someone unless there is humanitarian issues or national security issues at stake. I voted against my party when President Brown sent troops into Kuwait and unfortunately, Senator Gore supported that conflict" - Tom Harkin

"Senator Harkin, Saddam Hussein has a long history of violating the rights of the innocent. He was a threat to the United States. Today, he has kicked out weapons inspectors. We can't trust a madman like Saddam Hussein to acquire weapons of mass destruction. President Kean has placed sanctions against Iraq, and I voted for the President's sanctions. Only 3 U.S. Senators, yourself included, voted against those sanctions. Senator, I have voted against President Kean's increases in defense spending because you are correct, the pentagon never asked for them. But, I also understand that there is a role for the United States to play in foreign affairs. Senator, you have voted to slash our intelligence budget multiple times, you've voted against sanctions towards Saddam Hussein, and you voted against funding our troops when President Brown did send them to Kuwait. That record is abysmal in my opinion" - Al Gore

"Senator Gore defends voting with the Republicans on foreign policy, tax cuts, a balanced budget amendment, welfare reform, the environment, and social security. How is he going to represent our party if he supports this administration on a host of issues?" - Tom Harkin
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »

January 19, 2000 - Democrats divided in 4 contests

DOVER, DE - As expected, Governor of Delaware Tom Carper handily won his home state's presidential primary, finishing ahead of Al Gore 51% - 30%, with Tom Harkin in third with 18% of the vote. Mean while, Al Gore secured a victory in Alaska's presidential caucus, winning 37% of the vote ahead of Tom Harkin with 33% and Tom Carper with 29%. Gore also won a victory in Alabama, where he won 42% of the vote ahead of Mr. Harkin at 35% and Mr. Carper with 22%. In Oregon, Tom Harkin won 41% of the vote ahead of Al Gore with 30% and Tom Carper with 27%.

January 27, 2000 - President Kean signs litigation reform into law, Democratic candidates divided over the law

WASHINGTON, DC - President Tom Kean signed The Tort Reform Act of 2000 into law, creating national guidelines for loser-pay laws in some civil court cases. Additionally, the law capped certain damages related to medical care at $250,000, with a provision to allow judges to rule that the cap doesn't apply in certain cases. The law passed with the support of all House Republicans, as well as 79 House Democrats. In the U.S. Senate, the law passed 85-15, with 14 Democrats and 1 Republican opposing the law. Democratic Presidential Candidate Tom Harkin voted against the bill, arguing it gave too much power to judges and wouldn't allow a case by case examination of torts related to medical care. Senate Minority Leader Al Gore, also running for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, worked with the white house and House Speaker JC Watts on the law. Gore argued while not perfect, loser pay laws were important. Democratic Presidential Hopeful Tom Carper said he also supported the law.

February 2, 2000 - Democrats still divided over nominee, Independents go for Carper

WASHINGTON, DC - A nationwide poll of Democrats found that Democratic primary voters were divided as to who their nominee for President should be. Of the 77% of those polled who said they were registered Democrats, 34% said they would be supporting Al Gore for President, followed by 32% for Tom Harkin, and 30% for Tom Carper. Of the 23% who said they were independents, 40% said they supported Carper, followed by Gore at 30% and Harkin at 29%. Additionally, the poll found that half of primary voters believe that Al Gore is the most electable general election candidate. However, the poll also found that Tom Harkin is viewed as the most representative of Democratic Party values.

February 7, 2000 - Super Tuesday

WASHINGTON, DC - Voters in 14 states cast their vote for who should be the Democratic Presidential Nominee in 2000. Polling before the primaries showed Al Gore leading in 8 states, Tom Harkin in 4, and Tom Carper in 2. But, Mr. Gore and Mr. Harkin each won 6 states, while Mr. Carper won just 2. Al Gore, the senate minority whip, secured victories in his home state of Tennessee, as well as Idaho, Montana, Mississippi, Georgia, and Arizona. Tom Harkin, U.S. Senator from Iowa, won contests in Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, Illinois, West Virginia, and Minnesota. Tom Carper, Governor of Maryland, secured victories in New Jersey and Maine.

February 10, 2000 - Tom Carper withdrawals from presidential race

NEW CASTLE, DE - Governor of Delaware Tom Carper announced the end of his 2000 presidential campaign at a press conference in New Castle, DE. "For more than a year, I have had the privilege to travel this great country promoting our success here in Delaware and offering a vision for the future of our country. Democrats and independents flocked to my campaign, and we did far better than anyone expected just a few weeks ago. But, it has become clear than unfortunately, I will place third when everything is said and done. So, today, I offer Senator Gore and Senator Harkin my concession" Carper stated.

February 14, 2000 - Gore, Harkin seek to gain an advantage in lead up to contests in Maryland and California

BALTIMORE, MD - Seeking to gain an advantage in the Democratic Presidential Primaries, candidates Al Gore and Tom Harkin began focusing their rhetoric on criticizing the Republican congress, and each other. "My opponent has voted for higher taxes 115 times, he's voted to slash intelligence funding, and he opposed balancing the budget and welfare reform - how does he expect to win a general election with a record like that?" Al Gore asked an audience in Maryland. "Republicans in congress who have failed to address the rising cost of prescription drugs, an achievement gap in education, and a climate crisis would love to see Tom Harkin representing our party" Gore added. Mean while, in California, Mr. Harkin went after Mr. Gore. "Al Gore has supported the Republicans in Congress on welfare, social security, taxes, education, NAFTA, litigation, and changing the constitution - how does he expect to represent our party when he doesn't stand up for our values, that's the question primary voters have to ask" he stated. Of all the votes cast, the race is tight. Al Gore has 3,204,423 votes so far, compared to 3,201,345 votes for Harkin. Tom Carper had 1,908,745 when he exited the presidential race. Of the 1,402 delegates needed to win, Harkin leads Gore 409 to 323.  

February 17, 2000 - Survey finds rough road ahead for Democrats, Kean popular

WASHINGTON, DC - A nationwide survey found a tough road ahead for whomever Democrats nominate for President. According to the survey, President Kean's approval rating stands at 70%. 97% of Republicans and 71% of independents approve of the President's job performance and surprisingly, 44% of Democrats also approve. 64% of Americans believe the United States is headed in the right direction and 71% believe the economy has improved since Kean took office. In the race for the Democratic Presidential Nomination, Senators Al Gore and Tom Harkin are tied at 47% - with Gore leading with moderates 49% - 46%, Harkin leading 50% - 44% with liberals, and Gore leading with independents 45% - 44%. Gore does best in a general election, but not by much. President Kean leads Al Gore 51% - 33% in a hypothetical matchup, while he leads Harkin 53% - 33%. Key to Kean's lead is his strong support amongst independent voters, and his tie with both potential Democrats amongst female voters. Kean also manages to garner 28% of Democrats against Harkin and 25% of Democrats against Gore.

February 21, 2000 - Tom Harkin wins California Primary as Al Gore wins Maryland

BALTIMORE, MD - Senate Minority Leader Al Gore won a decisive victory in Maryland's presidential primary, defeating Senator Tom Harkin 53% - 46%. In California, Harkin beat Gore by 4,902 votes. Each candidate garnered roughly 48%.

February 24, 2000 - Tom Harkin wins Indiana, South Dakota Primaries

BEND, SD - Senator Tom Harkin won two primaries in Indiana and South Dakota. In Indiana, Harkin defeated Senate Minority Leader Al Gore 55% - 44%, while he beat Gore 57% - 41% in South Dakota.

February 29, 2000 - Fearful of a divided party, Gephardt calls on presidential hopefuls to agree to finish primary season by March 10

WASHINGTON, DC - Fearful his party would be divided in the general election, House Democratic Leader Richard Gephardt called on presidential candidates Al Gore and Tom Harkin to end the primary season by March 10. "We have contests coming up in Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, and Washington. My suggestion is that after these states vote, whoever is ahead should declare victory and the second place finisher should end their campaign, we need to focus on winning in the fall" Gephardt declared at a press conference. As it presently stands, Mr. Gore leads Mr. Harkin 4,302,097 to 4,117,203 in the popular vote, but Mr. Harkin leads Mr. Gore 879 to 704 in the delegate count.

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 04:50:48 PM »

March 2, 2000 - Gore, Harkin participate in final debate before primaries in Kentucky, Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Hawaii

"Since NAFTA has gone into effect, manufacturing has seen the loss of over 117,000 jobs in the last two years. Before 1990 and today, 420,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost. Senator Gore voted for NAFTA and President Kean implemented it. I'm the only candidate in this race who supports fair trade, I'll enforce trade agreements which aren't being enforced today and if they are bad agreements, I'll end them. NAFTA isn't working and it puts the U.S. at a disadvantage, so I'll get us out of it. Both Senator Gore and President Kean support free trade without enforcement mechanisms or demanding our trading partners adhere to human rights and wage standards as well as environmental protection and safety standards. I think that's wrong and I'll stop it as President" - Tom Harkin

"I'm proud of my vote in favor of NAFTA. Free trade gives the United States the opportunity to export our products while foreign companies can invest in American jobs. Since NAFTA was implemented, foreign investment in American jobs and communities is up by $800 million in just two years. Revenue to the federal government from that investment is up over $2 billion. The question we have to ask is, will the worker's of tomorrow be able to compete? I think we have to improve our education system by raising standards and investing in both higher education and technical schools to have the best trained workforce for the future. I also believe that we need to make our communities safer by banning dangerous assault weapons and adding police to our streets so businesses will invest in our inner cities and communities across this country. That's how we succeed moving forward" - Al Gore

"Senator Gore supported President Kean's tax cut, supported the President on social security, he voted for the President's constitutional balanced budget amendment, he supported the House Republicans on welfare reform, and he voted to slash farm subsidies three times since President Kean took office. I don't see how the nominee of our party can be someone who supports President Kean so much - in fact only two senators in the Democratic Party voted with the President more often than Senator Gore. Senator Gore voted with President Kean 30% of the time last year, I voted with him 4% of the time last year. That's a big difference" - Tom Harkin

"Part of leadership is presenting your vision, as I have always done, but then getting things done. The reason the President's plan didn't privatize social security as House Republicans talked about was because I worked with him and told him Democrats would oppose privatization. We did manage to add 40 years to the life of the program. I did support welfare reform because I believe that welfare should be temporary, not a way of life. The reason President Kean didn't eliminate farm subsidies is because myself and two other Democrats told him that wasn't acceptable. Senator Harkin has voted for higher taxes 115 times, to slash funding for human intelligence, against cutting subsidies to big oil, and against the federal government prosecuting the tobacco industry for misleading consumers for decades. I have a record of working with people to get things done, my opponent does not" - Al Gore

"Be it my plan to raise the minimum wage, repeal NAFTA, cut taxes for manufacturers, invest in worker re-training, or create health insurance pools for lower income Americans not eligible for medicaid so they can have health insurance, my agenda is meant to help lower income Americans realize the American dream and move ahead. We need to bring manufacturing jobs back to America while also training displaced workers new skills. We have to help make health care more accessible, and we need to invest in education for every child in America. Look, I'm not the candidate of the political establishment in this race, I get that. I'm simply fighting for the forgotten middle class and working families in this campaign. The Republicans are telling everyone that everything is great and hasn't been better, but 420,000 manufacturing jobs lost, a 14.7% poverty rate, and growing inequality in both income and education simply is not acceptable to me" - Tom Harkin

"What brought me to this presidential race was what I'm witnessing across America. I see inner-cities with high rates of crime and failing schools. I see rural communities without internet or opportunities for higher education. I see suburbs where drug use is out of control. No one can doubt that the economy is doing well. But, I don't believe we are addressing some of the most critical issues of our day. I also see a climate in crisis - global temperatures are rising and the air we breathe in many parts of this country aren't as clean as we'd like. I intend to be the President to help win the war on drugs, improve our schools, make our communities safer, and combat global warming. Of all three candidates running, I have the most experience and more importantly, I have the most bi-partisian record of getting things done" - Al Gore

March 4, 2000 - Harkin wins 3 of 4 primary contests

CHAPEL HILL, NC - As polling indicated, Senator Tom Harkin handily won presidential primaries in Hawaii and Wisconsin, defeating Al Gore 55% - 44% in Wisconsin and 62% - 37% in Hawaii. Harkin upset Gore in winning North Carolina's presidential primary, 50% - 48%. In Kentucky, Al Gore defeated Harkin 52% - 47%.

March 8, 2000 - Poll: Harkin takes lead in Democratic Primary, trails Kean in general election as does Gore

National Democratic Primary
Tom Harkin 49%
Al Gore 44%

Montana Democratic Primary
Tom Harkin 47%
Al Gore 46%

Nevada Democratic Caucus
Tom Harkin 49%
Al Gore 41%

Utah Democratic Primary
Tom Harkin 47%
Al Gore 45%

General Election Match-Ups
Tom Kean 54%
Tom Harkin 34%

Tom Kean 53%
Al Gore 34%

Kean Approval
Approve: 72%
Disapprove: 25%

Congress Approval
Approve: 57%
Disapprove: 40%

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2014, 10:33:46 PM by dudeabides »

March 14, 2000 - Harkin wins trio of primaries
SALT LAKE CITY, UT - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Tom Harkin secured victories in Utah, Nevada, and South Dakota. He defeated Al Gore 57% - 42% in Utah, 60% - 38% in Nevada, and 51% - 48% in South Dakota.

March 21, 2000 - Gore wins Texas as Harkin wins Pennsylvania
PHILADELPHIA, PA - Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa won Pennsylvania's Democratic Presidential Primary, defeating Al Gore 54% - 44%. In Texas, Gore beat Harkin 53% - 46%.

April 2, 2000 - With Democratic Primary dragging on, Kean kicks-off general election with three state bus tour

CLEVELAND, OH - As Democrats continue to compete against each other for votes, President Tom Kean did his first general election bus tour through Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan. "Over the last four years, you and I have put in place important reforms. We've reduced taxes, passed a constitutional balanced budget amendment, begun to rebuild our military, repealed half of the regulations that have been implemented over the last two decades, we have added 40 years to the life of social security, and we have begun to reform our schools with more local control and choice. Working together, we have achieved what many believed was not possible. I am confident that with your help, we can move our nation forward with hope and confidence" the President stated.

April 8, 2000 - Harkin wins New York primary

ALBANY, NY - Democratic Presidential Candidate Tom Harkin secured victory in New York's presidential primary, defeating opponent Al Gore 55% - 44%.

April 15, 2000 - Harkin wins Wyoming, Colorado Primaries

DENVER, CO - Democratic Presidential Candidate Tom Harkin defeated opponent Al Gore 57% - 42% in Colorado's presidential primary, while he beat Gore 60% - 39% in Wyoming's presidential primary.

April 23, 2000 - Three Senate Democrats back Kean for re-election

WASHINGTON, DC - Three moderate Democratic U.S. Senators announced they would support the re-election of President Tom Kean. Senators Joe Lieberman (D-CT), Mary Landrieu (D-LA), and Blanche Lincoln (D-AR) all declared their support for the President's re-election, citing his efforts to reach across the aisle, the state of the economy, and his support for a Democratic-backed bill to extend funding for environmental protection as reasons for the endorsement.

May 1, 2000 - Gore wins Florida as Harkin claims victories in North Dakota, Montana

BOCA RATON, FL - Senate Minority Leader Al Gore won Florida's presidential primary, defeating Tom Harkin 55% - 44% as Harkin defeated Gore in North Dakota, 67% - 32%, and Montana, 59% - 40%.

May 8, 2000 - Harkin wins primaries in Kansas, Nebraska, Washington

TOPEKA, KS - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Tom Harkin won presidential primaries in Kansas, Nebraska, and Washington. He defeated opponent Al Gore 60% - 38% in Kansas, 58% - 40% in Nebraska, and 55% - 44% in Washington.

May 14, 2000 - With victory of less than 5,000 votes in Missouri, Harkin clinches 1,402 delegates to become Democratic Presidential Nominee

ST. LOUIS, MO - Senator Tom Harkin defeated Senate Minority Leader Al Gore by 4,884 votes in Missouri's Democratic Presidential Primary. As a result, Harkin won the needed 1,402 delegates to become the Democratic Presidential Nominee. In the total popular vote nation wide, Gore still leads Harkin 6,502,002 to 6,344,798. However, Harkin leads Gore 1,404 to 1,298 in the delegate count.

May 15, 2000 - BREAKING: Gore calls for Missouri recount, refuses to end presidential bid

ST. LOUIS, MO - Arguing that he was entitled to a recount following Missouri's presidential primary, Senate Minority Leader Al Gore declared that he asked the secretary of state in Missouri to conduct a recount given the close margin of the primary results. Gore said he would not end his presidential campaign. "In our democracy, it is critical that every vote counts. I believe that we still do not know the results of last nights primary given absentee ballots still coming in" Gore stated.

May 15, 2000 - Despite Gore not exiting presidential race, Harkin accepts victory as Democratic Presidential Nominee.

ST. LOUIS, MO - Senator Tom Harkin declared victory in the Democratic Presidential Primary despite Al Gore not exiting the presidential race. "I respect Senator Gore's service in Vietnam and in the U.S. Senate. If he wishes to wait until all 575 absentee ballots are counted in Missouri, that is his decision. However, we have won the needed delegates and I can claim today that I am the Democratic nominee for President in the year 2000. Our campaign has always been about standing up and fighting for working families. President Kean will defend deregulation of Wall Street, tax breaks for the rich, and unfair trade agreements which ship our jobs overseas. I'll argue for a higher minimum wage, enforcement of trade agreements, the repeal of NAFTA, tax relief for farmers, worker re-training programs, investing in education, and health care for every child in America" Harkin told reporters.

May 18, 2000 - Gore: Missouri agreed to recount 10,000 votes

ST. LOUIS, MO - Senate Minority Leader Al Gore declared that the state of Missouri agreed to recount 10,000 votes from the Democratic Presidential Primary.

May 21, 2000 - Harkin wins North Carolina Primary
CHAPEL HILL, NC - Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa won North Carolina's presidential primary, 60% to Al Gore's 38%.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2014, 12:24:10 PM by dudeabides »

May 24, 2000 - Missouri recount: Harkin wins by 4,233 votes

ST. LOUIS, MO - Missouri officials announced that Senator Tom Harkin had won Missouri's Democratic Presidential Primary by 4,233 votes following a partial recount conducted by the state secretary of state office.

May 25, 2000 - Harkin wins New Mexico, D.C., and North Dakota primaries

SANTA FE, NM - Iowa Senator Tom Harkin defeated Senate Minority Leader Al Gore 57% - 42% to win New Mexico's presidential primary. He also beat Gore 77% - 22% in Washington D.C. and 62% - 37% to win the North Dakota Democratic Presidential Primary

May 27, 2000 - Al Gore concedes Defeat after placing 2nd in delegate count, 1st in popular vote

NASHVILLE, TN - Senate Minority Leader Al Gore conceded the Democratic Presidential Nomination to Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa after his campaign declared they saw no way of beating Harkin without going through a lengthy process due to the fact that although Gore had won more votes than Harkin, Harkin led in the delegate count. Gore won the votes of 6,375,192 primary voters, compared to 6,227,023 for Harkin. However, Harkin beat Gore 1,433 to 1,172 in the delegate count. "Just moments ago, I spoke with Senator Tom Harkin and offered my concession as we work together to unite our party and country behind his presidential campaign. If I thought there was a chance I could win this nomination, I wouldn't back down. But, Senator Harkin has won the needed delegates to become our party's nominee for President. I told him I would do everything I can to ensure he is elected as our next President. Our campaign was about solving problems and making a difference for every American. Throughout my public life, I have sought to do what is right for all Americans. I'll continue that fight. I want to thank my wife, Tipper, our children, and my entire group of friends, supporters, as well as my extended family for their support and guidance. Above all else, I want to thank the voters who supported me and the volunteers who brought us this far. I also want to thank my tireless and skilled campaign team for their hard work" Gore stated at a live address.

June 1, 2000 - Poll: Kean leads for general election

Tom Kean 53%
Tom Harkin 32%

June 17, 2000 - President Kean takes re-election message to blue states

ROCHESTER, NY - Dominating nation wide and state polls, President Tom Kean took his re-election campaign to New York, Michigan, and Wisconsin as part of a three day bus tour to try and help Republicans in blue states. President Kean promoted economic growth spurred by tax relief and he spoke about fiscal responsibility as he did in other states, but he also spoke of the successful passage of SCHIP, environmental protection, and bi-partisian social security reform while in the trio of Democratic states.

July 5, 2000 - Harkin picks Toricelli for Vice President

WAYNE, NJ - In an effort to try and win President Kean's home state of New Jersey while pleasing the Democratic Party establishment, Senator Tom Kean announced that Senator Robert Toricelli of New Jersey would be his running-mate in the 2000 election. "Senator Toricelli has been a leading advocate for working men and women and their families. He helped fight for low interest student loans and fought for increased funding for worker re-training programs as a member of Congress. In the senate, he has taken on Tom Kean on issues like medicaid, the environment, and a lack of funding for our roads. Robert Toricelli will fight for working people in America as Vice President" Harkin said of Toricelli.

July 18, 2000 - Poll: Kean has 30 point lead in NJ, wins all swing states, tie in Michigan

New Jersey
Tom Kean 64%
Tom Harkin 34%

Ohio
Tom Kean 62%
Tom Harkin 22%

Pennsylvania
Tom Kean 55%
Tom Harkin 35%

Florida
Tom Kean 60%
Tom Harkin 21%

Colorado
Tom Kean 54%
Tom Harkin 21%

Iowa
Tom Kean 49%
Tom Harkin 40%

New Hampshire
Tom Kean 52%
Tom Harkin 39%

Nevada
Tom Kean 52%
Tom Harkin 19%

Michigan
Tom Harkin 45%
Tom Kean 45%

Wisconsin
Tom Kean 50%
Tom Harkin 37%

New Mexico
Tom Kean 57%
Tom Harkin 20%

West Virginia
Tom Kean 55%
Tom Harkin 39%

New York
Tom Kean 47%
Tom Harkin 33%
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »

August 4, 2000 - Toricelli accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"This campaign is about what we intend to do in this new century. In a time of great economic prosperity for some, many have been left behind. This administration has failed to use this era to help more kids go to college. They have failed to fight the drug epidemic which plaques our cities and suburban communities. They have failed to expand access to the internet in rural America. They have failed to combat global warming. Our mission is clear. Fight for hard working men and women by fighting for a higher minimum wage, access to health care, college loans, worker re-training, and enforcement of our trade agreements. This administration has had four years to help working people, and they have failed. We will succeed because Tom Harkin and I entered public service to fight for the forgotten and those without a voice. Americans yearn for leadership which focus on the many and not just a privileged few. We have a plan to help grow this economy for everyone, not just Wall Street and the well to do in our society. So, what do Tom Harkin and I propose? First, we'll raise the federal minimum wage. We'll fight to expand medicaid and SCHIP to cover 100% of children in America with health care and to expand access for low income adults as well. We will repeal NAFTA and enforce all trade agreements, plus we will repeal those trade agreements without enforcement mechanisms and those which ship our jobs overseas. We will encourage college education by expanding the low interest student loan program and increasing the number of available pell grants. We will reverse the Kean tax cuts for the wealthy to help pay for these proposals while still balancing the federal budget. We will fight to expand the worker re-training program. Also, Tom Harkin and I will get illegal guns off our streets with a ban on assault weapons this administration and House Republicans have opposed. We will increase aid to community colleges to invest in worker re-training programs. Unlike this administration, Tom Harkin and I will support a prescription drug benefit for medicare to help our seniors afford the medication they need. We won't be investing billions of dollars in the military the pentagon didn't ask for, but we will invest in adding police to America's streets that Mayors and police departments across America have been asking for over the last four years. Our fight is your fight and we will stand up for every American" - Robert Toricelli accepting Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

August 5, 2000 - Tom Harkin accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"What I have seen in America for the last two decades, but especially over the last four years under Mr. Kean is growing inequality, more drug use amongst those residing in suburbs and inner-cities, a growing gap between success and failure in education, farm incomes falling, and a federal government which increasingly is controlled by special interests. I decided to get into this presidential race to offer Americans an alternative to the failed polices of the Kean administration. American workers shouldn't have to beg anyone to help them pay to improve their skills, and they should be able to get a job which pays more than $7.00 per hour. American farmers shouldn't have to worry about bankruptcy because of one bad season, and they shouldn't have gotten a tax increase under this administration. Parents shouldn't have to worry about providing health care to their kids. Kids shouldn't have to worry about if they'll have the ability to afford a college education or not. We all shouldn't have to worry about the safety of our communities because they all should be safe. Be it fighting to expand health care access under medicaid for lower income Americans, sponsoring legislation expanding the farm income stabilization program, or leading the fight to expand the number of pell grants for students, I have always been on the side of working families. As President, I want to combat the growing inequality in our society. Tom Kean does not see these challenges because to him, so long as Wall Street and the largest corporations in America succeed, everyone else must be doing okay. We know differently, and it is incumbent upon us to recognize the challenges we really do face and confront them. The truth is, drug use in America is up 29% over the last five years. Farm incomes have fallen by an average of 5% in the last four years, the largest four year drop since the Great Depression. The bottom 10% of schools in America have seen their steepest decline since the 1950s. The number of Americans lacking health insurance has actually risen from 12.7 million in 1990 to nearly 15 million today. 427,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost since 1990, and 121,000 have been lost under President Kean. CO2 emissions in the United States have risen by 8% since 1996 alone. College attendance has remained roughly flat for three years straight under this President. I do not believe that is an acceptable record, and I seek to change course after the year 2000  " - Tom Harkin

August 14, 2000 - Vice President Elizabeth Dole accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"President Kean and I have worked with you, the American people, to implement important reforms to restore economic opportunity and growth while also protecting our country. Since we last convened four years ago, we passed the largest tax reduction in our country's history, providing relief to all taxpayers but especially middle and lower income Americans and small and medium sized businesses. We have repealed half of the regulations passed under the previous two administrations. We have not only balanced the federal budget and gotten a constitutional amendment to do so passed, but we have now generated a surplus because 9.4 million Americans have found work, incomes are up, welfare rolls are half of what they were in 1996, and international trade is up. America has made a historic comeback and today, we have seen historic economic growth. When we took office in 1997, the average growth rate of the previous 24 months was 2.9%. Over the past 24 months, the average growth rate has been 4.2%. Inflation is a record low today. The poverty rate has fallen from 15.2% when we took over to 14% today. We have added 40 years to the life of social security and we have reduced the cost of medicare through competition. We are investing in growing our military and our human intelligence agencies. Educational test scores and high school graduation rates are at record highs. We have over 200 fewer environmental waste sites than we did in 1996. Despite the great success of these last four years, our opponents argue America is going through an era of great inequality and hardship. Even Senate Minority Leader Al Gore called Senator Harkin ridiculous and misleading for making such claims during the Democratic primary. As Senator Gore pointed out then, Senator Harkin has voted for higher taxes 115 times, against a balanced budget amendment, against reforming welfare, against saving social security, and against local control of education. Senator Harkin's out of touch with the great things Americans have achieved over these past four years. He proposes the largest tax increase in history, half a billion dollars in new spending, and a larger and more powerful federal government. We offer greater economic freedom and prosperity, and a safer world for our kids" - Vice President Elizabeth Dole accepting Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

August 15, 2000 - President Tom Kean accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"Four years ago, when I took the oath of office, I told the American people that while I had a political party I was a member of, I would be a President who sought to work with all Americans to reform government and change America. Over the last four years, everything that we have accomplished together came from working together. We have achieved things some said were impossible. We passed the largest tax reduction in our nation's history, balanced the budget, added 4 decades to the life of social security, passed important reforms to make medicare less expensive through more competition, reduced the number of regulations passed by the previous two administrations in half, opened up our markets by implementing NAFTA, invested in environmental clean up, increased funding for veterans health care, expanding health care for the poorest children in American, higher standards in education while providing for greater choice and local control, passed historic litigation reform, have begun to invest more resources to rebuilding our military and human intelligence communities, and turned deficits into surpluses not as Republicans or Democrats, but as Americans. 9.4 million new jobs, rising incomes, welfare rolls half of what they were four years ago, crime rates going down every year, record educational achievement, and greater retirement security benefit all of us equally. Over the next four years, I again challenge all of us to work together. We know that we can work together to bring about the positive change we all seek. Today, I'm calling on all of us to commit to moving America forward. We must work together to reform our health care system to bring down costs and encourage the private market to do so. We have to work together to lower the cost of prescription drugs for seniors. We must work together to reform our nation's broken immigration system. We need to encourage scholarships so more people can afford a good college education. We should work to invest in worker re-training programs for displaced workers. It's time we fundamentally reform government by passing comprehensive ethics reform. We must both continue to build on the success of the last four years, and move forward with confidence, hope, and vision. My hope is these next four years bring an era of unity and optimism like never before, and I know we can achieve great things together" - President Tom Kean, accepting Republican Presidential Nomination
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies