Canada 2008: Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2008: Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Author Topic: Canada 2008: Official Thread  (Read 95101 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: October 05, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »

A 2 point bump for the NDP is not "statistical noise".

A one day 2-point bump for any party in one poll may be statistical noise.  Or not.

A 2-point movement is within the margin of error.  You have to wait a few days to decide whether it is statistical noise or a trend.   And in any event, the full bump (if any) from the debates should be factored into the Monday or Tuesday polling, not Saturday's.  Compare Tuesday's Harris/Decima poll to Friday's to determine whether the parties received any bump or decline as a result of the English debates.

Why Harris-Decima and not Nanos or EKOS? Harris-Decima is certainly not the best firm there is out there.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: October 05, 2008, 06:28:51 PM »

A 2 point bump for the NDP is not "statistical noise".

A one day 2-point bump for any party in one poll may be statistical noise.  Or not.

A 2-point movement is within the margin of error.  You have to wait a few days to decide whether it is statistical noise or a trend.   And in any event, the full bump (if any) from the debates should be factored into the Monday or Tuesday polling, not Saturday's.  Compare Tuesday's Harris/Decima poll to Friday's to determine whether the parties received any bump or decline as a result of the English debates.

Why Harris-Decima and not Nanos or EKOS? Harris-Decima is certainly not the best firm there is out there.

Because the poll SoFA EarlAW was originally talking about to show a Dipper post-debate bump was Harris-Decima.   It's a 4-day poll, so the full English debate bump won't be shown until Tuesday.  Some of the others are 3-day polls, so the full bump will be shown tomorrow.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #577 on: October 06, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »

i couldnt be the only person that believes that gilles duceppe is a horrible human being.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #578 on: October 06, 2008, 12:07:40 AM »

i couldnt be the only person that believes that gilles duceppe is a horrible human being.

Any reason?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #579 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »

Any reason?

his stupid speech today (or yesterday) didnt help.

and i generally dislike secessionists.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #580 on: October 06, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »

Looks like Stephen Harper will have to reverse course on his crime promises:

http://www.thestar.com/Federal%20Election/article/512033
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #581 on: October 06, 2008, 12:33:18 AM »

Looks like Stephen Harper will have to reverse course on his crime promises:

http://www.thestar.com/Federal%20Election/article/512033

Because we all know a Conservative did it, even though there's no evidence.  Can't be a Dipper, a Green or even a Liberal or run-of-the-mill anarchist - even though the Dippers have a better shot winning most Toronto ridings than the Tories.  And St. Paul's is a pretty safe Liberal seat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #582 on: October 06, 2008, 01:14:12 AM »

It wasn't me you guys! lol

The Liberals are usually the one's up to no good. Rumour has it they stole a bunch of our signs (and Green signs) to make the race look like it was between the Libs and Tories. (This was in Ottawa South).

And of course, there's the stories of ovencleaner on signs...
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #583 on: October 06, 2008, 01:40:48 AM »

Thanks for the link Earl Smiley. Much appreciated.

Why oh why did the Liberal Party elect Stéphane Dion as their leader back in 2006? He makes the "Golden Boy" look like a competant leader. Hopefully once this election is over once and for all, the Liberals will get rid of him, that's if there is any competant leaders in the Liberal Party.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #584 on: October 06, 2008, 01:53:46 AM »

Thanks for the link Earl Smiley. Much appreciated.

Why oh why did the Liberal Party elect Stéphane Dion as their leader back in 2006? He makes the "Golden Boy" look like a competant leader. Hopefully once this election is over once and for all, the Liberals will get rid of him, that's if there is any competant leaders in the Liberal Party.

I want nothing more than the Liberals to pick another incompetent leader, my self Wink

Hedy Fry '09!!!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #585 on: October 06, 2008, 02:11:47 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2008, 02:18:17 AM by Jimmy the Flute »

I want nothing more than the Liberals to pick another incompetent leader, my self Wink

I'm sure you wouldn't Earl Smiley Anything to boost Jack Layton and his NDP in the polls. Though it does not seem that the NDP, but rather the Tories that are benefiting from Dion's incompetent leadership, at least that's what I've gathered from the latest opinion polls. Also, did Nanos Research really suggest in polls taken on October 2, that Dion's Liberals are at 30 percent in the polls? LOL.

Sure Ms. Fry is quite an incompetent politician, but if you want an incompetent leader of the Liberal Party in 2009 you cannot go better than the "Honorable" Paul Martin. Though I'm sure those more familiarized with Canadian politics could conjure up a better incompetent Liberal.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #586 on: October 06, 2008, 02:15:05 AM »

I read this article today that discussed the possibility of a Liberal-NDP coalition to stop Harper from forming government again. Is such an absurd scenario even vaguely plausible?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #587 on: October 06, 2008, 02:20:14 AM »

Jack Layton talked about it a while back, but Dion immediately fired back and refused.

But anything's possible and if (C > L) && (C < 154) && (L + NDP + G >> C) it may require the Governor General to do something for once.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #588 on: October 06, 2008, 07:00:41 AM »

Also, did Nanos Research really suggest in polls taken on October 2, that Dion's Liberals are at 30 percent in the polls? LOL.

Don't lol at Nanos. They were spot on in 2006.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #589 on: October 06, 2008, 08:10:04 AM »

Also, did Nanos Research really suggest in polls taken on October 2, that Dion's Liberals are at 30 percent in the polls? LOL.

They may have just been lucky. I haven't seen anything indicating that they are superior pollsters.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #590 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »

The Liberals are usually the one's up to no good. Rumour has it they stole a bunch of our signs (and Green signs) to make the race look like it was between the Libs and Tories. (This was in Ottawa South).

Ottawa South is a two way race. Live with it.

In any case, I've heard some quite nasty things from one of Earl's former coworkers on the Hill about what the NDP does as standard practice: having non-English speaking women in burqua's visit several different polling stations on election day, crossing electoral boundaries for their own sign vandalism, etc.

Frankly I'm proud of them. I always suspected that the NDP's squeaky clean image wasn't true; they didn't take politics seriously so they wouldn't ever form a government or even an opposition on the federal level. With the revelation that Jack Layton's the same kind of sleazy, underhanded, hypocritical politician as Harper and Dion, I just might be convinced to vote NDP! (Actually there's no chance; I don't want my seat falling to Harper so I'm switching from Green to Liberal - hopefully I'm not the only one).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #591 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:54 AM »

(Actually there's no chance; I don't want my seat falling to Harper so I'm switching from Green to Liberal - hopefully I'm not the only one).

Where bist thou live?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #592 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:43 AM »

(Actually there's no chance; I don't want my seat falling to Harper so I'm switching from Green to Liberal - hopefully I'm not the only one).

Where bist thou live?

If he's actually in Quebec, I have no idea. There are no Liberal seats in Quebec in any danger from the Tories.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #593 on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2008, 10:39:41 AM by cp »

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I thought it was obvious Tongue

I'm in Ottawa-South, same riding as Earl.

Picking up on another topic mentioned above, the same source who told me about the NDP tactics had some interesting insights on the aftermath of a Liberal defeat. He said most of the party will flock to Ignatieff. Iggy was the runner up, he's probably the strongest candidate to face in any future election, and he's been a solid performer in the caucus for the past two years. However, Bob Rae will likely contest an Ignatieff coronation. Whether or not he'll get any support he'll be appallingly well-funded and well-connected, meaning there could be another costly leadership fight in 2009.

On the bright side, we both agreed that if Harper fails to get majority yet again there will be whisperings about the length of his tenure.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #594 on: October 06, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »

That's if he can hold his seat. Though the swing there will be lower (maybe a lot lower) than the norm of course... perhaps he's a lot safer than he looks on paper.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #595 on: October 06, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »

Ottawa South is a two way race. Live with it.

In any case, I've heard some quite nasty things from one of Earl's former coworkers on the Hill about what the NDP does as standard practice: having non-English speaking women in burqua's visit several different polling stations on election day, crossing electoral boundaries for their own sign vandalism, etc.

Frankly I'm proud of them. I always suspected that the NDP's squeaky clean image wasn't true; they didn't take politics seriously so they wouldn't ever form a government or even an opposition on the federal level. With the revelation that Jack Layton's the same kind of sleazy, underhanded, hypocritical politician as Harper and Dion, I just might be convinced to vote NDP! (Actually there's no chance; I don't want my seat falling to Harper so I'm switching from Green to Liberal - hopefully I'm not the only one).

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I would like to know more about these tactics. They certainly aren't being done by us in Ottawa South; I don't know about Ottawa Centre. Such is politics though, and it is unfortunate.

Oh, and I don't live in Ottawa South anymore. (thank god!)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #596 on: October 06, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

They may have just been lucky. I haven't seen anything indicating that they are superior pollsters.

But they're not Angus-Reid or that other crap pollster I forgot. They deserve atleast a bit of respect, since they're not entirely off like Angus-Crap.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #597 on: October 06, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

But they're not Angus-Reid or that other crap pollster I forgot. They deserve atleast a bit of respect, since they're not entirely off like Angus-Crap.

Well, yeah, Angus Reid just gets filtered out of my mind. But I don't have any reason to believe that Nanos is empirically better than Ipsos-Reid, Harris-Decima, Strategic Vision or EKOS (although EKOS has had some wacky regional internals at times).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #598 on: October 06, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »

Well, yeah, Angus Reid just gets filtered out of my mind. But I don't have any reason to believe that Nanos is empirically better than Ipsos-Reid, Harris-Decima, Strategic Vision or EKOS (although EKOS has had some wacky regional internals at times).

I certainly hope Nanos' Green numbers turn to out to be inaccurate.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: October 06, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »

I certainly hope Nanos' Green numbers turn to out to be inaccurate.

Harris-Decima's poll today has lots of interesting numbers on that front. They have May soaring in approval and favorability after the debates. Dion also made gains while Harper lost ground, bringing the two into a statistical tie in favorability and approval. Layton and Duceppe stayed high but are only a little bit above May now. May's net approval rating has also surpassed that of Layton.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies