HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:18:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19
Author Topic: HI-1: Kaniela Ing vs Doug Chin  (Read 37328 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2018, 01:27:12 PM »

He was a homophobe, now he's a private prison lobbyist. Which is frankly as vile.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »

Knowing Case even if he doesn't lose he'll vacate the seat eventually anyway to do something like primary challenge Schatz and get clobbered. Point is he's less likely to stick around long than the rest of the awful non-Ing candidates.

Absolutely. The prospect of Chin or Fukumoto winning and receiving national attention ("The man who sued President Blunpf is now headed to Washington!" or "She was a Republican... Then Blunpf happened and she's ready to fight!", etc.) is nausea-inducing - At least Case will be relegated to the status of irrelevant flotsam until he runs his next futile statewide campaign as you stated.

That’s...actually a really good point.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »

BTW, Chin's church isn't just a "pray the gay away" one, its a cult. I don't mean that the way some liberals call any socially conservative churches cults, I mean its a literal cult warned about by anti-cult resources including ones ran by fellow evangelicals. Its affiliated with the movement started by a disgraced pastor named Kip McKeon in Boston in the 90s and spread nationwide via proselytization and nasty indoctrination tactics on college campuses. McKeon was later forced to step down but the movement and its abusive practices remain.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:10 PM »

BTW, Chin's church isn't just a "pray the gay away" one, its a cult. I don't mean that the way some liberals call any socially conservative churches cults, I mean its a literal cult warned about by anti-cult resources including ones ran by fellow evangelicals. Its affiliated with the movement started by a disgraced pastor named Kip McKeon in Boston in the 90s and spread nationwide via proselytization and nasty indoctrination tactics on college campuses. McKeon was later forced to step down but the movement and its abusive practices remain.

Wow, didn’t know that.  *Sigh*...Head Case it is, I suppose.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

Meh, at this point I’m expecting Hanabusa to primary Case in 2020 for her old seat. Hanabusa will probably win, but we said that about Schatz and Ige too, so who knows.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:57 AM »

Ed Case will win with the Progressives/NewDems Split
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2018, 10:49:19 AM »

I would support Charles Djou than Ed Case
Bman409
Rookie
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »

any chance at all that Ing pulls off an upset here?

(I'm thinking none.. but want others's opinions)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:40 PM »

any chance at all that Ing pulls off an upset here?

(I'm thinking none.. but want others's opinions)
I mean, technically yes, but it would require some real hi-jinx of undecideds breaking for him, and the other candidates taking similar percentages, like 19%, and him getting 20%.

Its possible, but not likely.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #359 on: August 10, 2018, 12:31:03 PM »

Case is a DINO but at least he's always been on the right side of LGBT issues. All the way back in 1997, he was one of the only people in the Hawaii House to oppose a measure constitutionally banning same sex marriage. That alone makes him better than Chin and DMK in my book.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »

Case is a DINO but at least he's always been on the right side of LGBT issues. All the way back in 1997, he was one of the only people in the Hawaii House to oppose a measure constitutionally banning same sex marriage. That alone makes him better than Chin and DMK in my book.

Gay marriage is a settled issue, having somebody who consistently voted for Republican-backed tax and social spending cuts will directly harm many people in the short and long-run. I’d rather take somebody who voted against gay marriage in the past rather than somebody who will continue vote for tax breaks to billionaires and big corporations over and over again, just as he did in the past.

He’s beholden to his corporate owners, and I hope Hanabusa whoops him again in 2020, just as she did in 2010.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »

Gay marriage is a settled issue, having somebody who consistently voted for Republican-backed tax and social spending cuts will directly harm many people in the short and long-run. I’d rather take somebody who voted against gay marriage in the past rather than somebody who will continue vote for tax breaks to billionaires and big corporations over and over again, just as he did in the past.

He’s beholden to his corporate owners, and I hope Hanabusa whoops him again in 2020, just as she did in 2010.

This.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »

There's a lot of leaps of logic here. One, assuming Hanabusa will lose the gubernatorial primary. Secondly, assuming Case wins this primary. And thirdly, assuming Hanabusa even wants her seat back again if this occurs.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »

Meh, at this point I’m expecting Hanabusa to primary Case in 2020 for her old seat. Hanabusa will probably win, but we said that about Schatz and Ige too, so who knows.

Actually, most people on this forum thought Schatz would win easily, and were shocked it was so close. Ige could very well still lose.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Actually, most people on this forum thought Schatz would win easily, and were shocked it was so close. Ige could very well still lose.
You make a good point, it is all speculation, but current data does point to this as the likely scenario. Then again, Hanabusa and Ing can both win their primaries, so, I guess we will all see next week.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #365 on: August 10, 2018, 01:54:28 PM »

You make a good point, it is all speculation, but current data does point to this as the likely scenario. Then again, Hanabusa and Ing can both win their primaries, so, I guess we will all see next week.
The primary is tomorrow.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: August 10, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »

The primary is tomorrow.
oh, well then. Thats dumb. This is just like with TN, elections are on Tuesdays, why on a Saturday? That just lowers turnout. Anyway, I guess we will see who wins tomorrow.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #367 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »

Turnout would be HIGHER on a weekend.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:12 PM »

Depends if voters know the primary is on the weekend. If voters dont know, they wont show up, and that lowers turnout, but if they do, turnout would generally be higher than those on Tuesdays. I dont know about turnout numbers in HI, so I might be very wrong.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2018, 03:31:18 PM »

I would support Charles Djou than Ed Case
Charles Djou is now an independent, too.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »

Knowing Case even if he doesn't lose he'll vacate the seat eventually anyway to do something like primary challenge Schatz and get clobbered. Point is he's less likely to stick around long than the rest of the awful non-Ing candidates.

Absolutely. The prospect of Chin or Fukumoto winning and receiving national attention ("The man who sued President Blunpf is now headed to Washington!" or "She was a Republican... Then Blunpf happened and she's ready to fight!", etc.) is nausea-inducing - At least Case will be relegated to the status of irrelevant flotsam until he runs his next futile statewide campaign as you stated.
Yeah, Ed Case is probably the least worst out of the non-Ing candidates. The thought of Fukumoto in congress is literally nauseating.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »

How is Charles Djou's last name pronounced? I think it is "da jew" but I don't know.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2018, 03:37:58 PM »

How is Charles Djou's last name pronounced? I think it is "da jew" but I don't know.

You're right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwVzIcJHsrk
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »

oh thanks
MAINEiac4434