Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 07:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life  (Read 2381 times)
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:48:28 PM »

Do you have any idea what kind of devastation forcing a woman to go through a pregnancy brought on by rape causes!? That's the kind of thing that tears a woman apart so deeply that she kills herself to get out.

Do you have any numbers on that? Are there a lot of cases of pregnant women killing themselves because they are so torn up about carrying their rapists' babies? I've personally never heard of it though I don't doubt it exists somewhere. My guess, though, would be that if women are killing themselves in that situation it's mostly due to other factors making their lives horrible, not simply the fact of being pregnant with their rapists' babies.

Elsewhere I've heard that women who bring their rape-caused pregnancies to term tend to psychologically heal better than women who abort. The logic of that seems sound to me, but unfortunately I don't have a citation. Anyway that logic might be one of those things you can't understand until you've had a kid of your own.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »

I've heard people who were pro-abortion concede that they could wrap their minds around it being okay to have abortion be illegal except in the cases of incest and rape. But I've never heard a pro-life (I prefer the term anti-abortion) person make that argument.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:30:25 AM »

You clearly don't understand the trauma of rape at all if you think that the prospect of having to carry the rapists seed isn't traumatic or damaging.

Did you read what I wrote? Here, I'll quote myself for you:

Do you have any numbers on that? Are there a lot of cases of pregnant women killing themselves because they are so torn up about carrying their rapists' babies? I've personally never heard of it though I don't doubt it exists somewhere.
(Emphasis added.)

I'm still waiting on those numbers from you, but now I also want to know what the hell you think my asking for those numbers has to do with my ability to understand the trauma of rape?? Is understanding the trauma of rape supposed to suspend one's ability to think critically about statistical facts?
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »

For the third time, I don't doubt it!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fair enough. But then you must have some other reason to think it happens a lot?

Ad hominem and circular logic. A two-fer!

A lot of people have.

I'll take your word for it, but my own powers of empathy are proven. Have you seen my posts where I argue the opposite side of an issue from the one I believe? I've even got one on abortion!

I wasn't shouting or being dismissive at all. I politely asked you for evidence of your claims. Twice.

There's the ad hominem and circular reasoning again.

That article doesn't present empirical evidence of the claim made in its headline. Also:

El Salvador: a destitute war-torn country full of drug cartels where the high suicide rate...is pinned on an abortion ban?
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »

@Scarlet Shift:

I didn't mention this earlier because I generally try to avoid putting personal details about my life on the internet. Since you are now asserting things about me that you have no basis to say and that are actually false, I might as well tell you: I was suicidal at many points in my life. I won't get into too much detail but let's just say I was in a very bad situation and I was not equipped to handle it. For instance I spent a week in a psych ward when I was 15 because of it. I also briefly considered suicide at other points in my adult life, the most severe of which was during a time when I was penniless, starving, and homeless at ages 19 and 20. You're right that suicidalism is not perfectly correlated with destitution, but let me tell you it certainly can't be overlooked.

You also asserted that I don't understand psychology. I've actually made my career in a field that is closely related to psychology, and a solid understanding of behavioral, experimental, and cognitive psychological concepts is a requirement to do the kind of work I do. Advanced degrees in psychology are common among people in my field.

I read an article recently about a millennial college student who was writing a chemistry paper and asked for help on Twitter. Another Twitter user, who happened to be the CEO of a major chemistry company, answered her question. The college student didn't find the answer to her liking and she cussed him out, making a bunch of bold assertions about his level of knowledge.

Don't be that person.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

For me, there's a certain intuitive feel to them. I'm good at understanding them on an unconsious level, which you don't seem to be. Knowing of emotions and basic cognition on an academic level is one thing, but the ability to put yourself somewhere else and feel it, to just "get" mentalities on some deeper level in your mind is incredibly powerful. What is this field you work in, anyway?

My strong intuition and sense of empathy--not just academic knowledge, most of which I gained on the job, but really being able to put myself fully in other people's shoes by listening and understanding, if not by actually having been in their situation, and then applying a wider understanding of the psychology around that--is one of the reasons why I was recruited to my field, human factors research.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies