OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 187531 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 03, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »

Sophomore Rep. Great Johnson (D-Akron) is resigning because she feels stymied by the working environment in the State House.

The Ohio House Democratic Caucus will get to choose her replacement. There shouldn't be a special election.
Sykes or sawyer here we come
Vernon Sykes was just elected to the State Senate this past fall to replace Sawyer.

Hopefully we can get some fresh blood.
Rjjr77
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2017, 10:30:27 PM »

Sophomore Rep. Great Johnson (D-Akron) is resigning because she feels stymied by the working environment in the State House.

The Ohio House Democratic Caucus will get to choose her replacement. There shouldn't be a special election.
Vernon Sykes was just elected to the State Senate this past fall to replace Sawyer.

Yeah... And his daughter took his place, just like his wife used to.

The summit dems have let one young person into the game in how long? And that was Johnson.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:15 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2017, 12:02:24 AM by BuckeyeNut »

The summit dems have let one young person into the game in how long? And that was Johnson.
Vern Sykes is in the Senate. His daughter Emilia is in his old House Seat. Barbara, his wife, could go to the House again, but she lives in the same district as her daughter, so...

Sawyer's an option, but it's a sad thing to watch a former Congressman go (back) to the State House. That said, Boccieri's done it. With Schiavoni term limited out, he can hopefully make it back to the State Senate in '18.
Rjjr77
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2017, 12:41:34 AM »

Vern Sykes is in the Senate. His daughter Emilia is in his old House Seat. Barbara, his wife, could go to the House again, but she lives in the same district as her daughter, so...

Sawyer's an option, but it's a sad thing to watch a former Congressman go (back) to the State House. That said, Boccieri's done it. With Schiavoni term limited out, he can hopefully make it back to the State Senate in '18.

Vernon has another daughter.

So much flip flopping goes on in Ohio, it's never sad to see anyone bounce anywhere, in all honesty if sawyers healthy he'll probably get it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »

Betty Sutton will be good for our Democratic candidate in 2020 because it wasnt Clinton
If she wins... Again the GOP has the better candidates right now

Mary Taylor and Betty Sutton will be an even contest.
Rjjr77
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

Betty Sutton will be good for our Democratic candidate in 2020 because it wasnt Clinton

Mary Taylor winning the GOP nomination would be a huge upset
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2017, 10:11:45 PM »

Right now I see this as mostly a Husted vs. DeWine race, with Taylor and Renacci simply minor candidates who could play "spoiler."
Rjjr77
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2017, 02:31:59 AM »

Right now I see this as mostly a Husted vs. DeWine race, with Taylor and Renacci simply minor candidates who could play "spoiler."

Agreed. The rising star powerhouse vs the state institution.

Husted is easily the most complete candidate in the whole field (R and D)
Rjjr77
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2017, 02:34:22 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 02:37:09 AM by Rjjr77 »

So who's on track to run for the Dem nomination?
My betting odds for winning:
3-1 Betty Sutton
8-1 Joe Schiavoni (only declared)
20-1 Nan Whaley
50-1 Bill O'Neill
500-1 Jerry Springer
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2017, 12:17:06 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2017, 01:04:44 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Rep. Rob Sprauge (R-Findlay) has announced a run for Treasurer.

And the Republican contenders all met in Cincinnati for a pancake breakfast. Taylor praised Trump for his EO on cutting regulations and emphasized Kasich's backing; DeWine praised Sessions as an old Senate ally and prosecutor; Husted avoided linking himself to Trump and made a pitch to de-escalate abortion rhetoric; and Renacci was basically left to introduce himself to a much wide audience than he's known in Congress, he played up his decision to run for Congress after the auto bailout didn't do enough for his dealership, and generally painted himself as a Trump-like business outsider.

EDIT: Nan Whaley is running opposed in her race for a second term as Mayor of Dayton, freeing up time and resources to run for Governor, if she so desires.
Rjjr77
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2017, 01:07:30 PM »

And the Republican contenders all met in Cincinnati for a pancake breakfast. Taylor praised Trump for his EO on cutting regulations and emphasized Kasich's backing; DeWine praised Sessions as an old Senate ally and prosecutor; Husted avoided linking himself to Trump and made a pitch to de-escalate abortion rhetoric; and Renacci was basically left to introduce himself to a much wide audience than he's known in Congress, he played up his decision to run for Congress after the auto bailout didn't do enough for his dealership, and generally painted himself as a Trump-like business outsider.

EDIT: Nan Whaley is running opposed in her race for a second term as Mayor of Dayton, freeing up time and resources to run for Governor, if she so desires.

Sprague vs. Mingo could turn out to be the most interesting primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »

Mingo has more skeletons in his closet than Newt Gingrich.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »

I think the Franklin County Republican Party would be sorely remiss if they let Mingo go. (Though he's clearly interested in running.) They only hold 3 county offices, and that includes Engineer, which is sort of a joke, as far as partisanship is concerned. A real backslide, since Dems really only started winning Franklin in '96.

What skeletons are you referring to, X?
Rjjr77
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »

I think the Franklin County Republican Party would be sorely remiss if they let Mingo go. (Though he's clearly interested in running.) They only hold 3 county offices, and that includes Engineer, which is sort of a joke, as far as partisanship is concerned. A real backslide, since Dems really only started winning Franklin in '96.

Does anyone care if the Franklin co party holds any office other than prosecutor? Particularly vs. having a favorable ear running a statewide agency's?

And he has a ton of skeletons, I won't trade in rumors but they are there.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

Does anyone care if the Franklin co party holds any office other than prosecutor? Particularly vs. having a favorable ear running a statewide agency's?

I don't want to encourage the rumor trade, but if there's anything that's been serious to write about in the Dispatch, it's probably worth discussing. (Not that I can find anything so serious.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »

I don't want to encourage the rumor trade, but if there's anything that's been serious to write about in the Dispatch, it's probably worth discussing. (Not that I can find anything so serious.)

I'll shoot you a PM when I have a chance.
Rjjr77
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »

If they were published I'd mention them, I know they are out there and a few are doozies but I'll leave it at that
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2017, 01:42:13 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 11:40:15 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Sutton is officially in with an announcement later today.
Rjjr77
« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2017, 02:01:41 AM »

So who's on track to run for the Dem nomination?
My betting odds for winning:
3-1 Betty Sutton
8-1 Joe Schiavoni (only declared)
20-1 Nan Whaley
50-1 Bill O'Neill
500-1 Jerry Springer
With Sutton in updated Odds
1-1 Sutton
10-1 schiavoni
23-1 Whaley
50-1 O'Neill
500-1 Springer
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

Sutton has superior name recognition, obviously, but I'm skeptical about her campaign chops. We'll see
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »

Sutton has superior name recognition, obviously, but I'm skeptical about her campaign chops. We'll see

Schiavoni should win the nomination although it's admittedly not a lock.  Sutton is a pretty weak candidate, as I've said before. 
Rjjr77
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Schiavoni should win the nomination although it's admittedly not a lock.  Sutton is a pretty weak candidate, as I've said before. 

Schiavoni would be the best candidate, but he'll have a name ID problem, a money problem, and would have a lot of coming back to do. Sutton vs Schiavoni he can win 1-1, the addition of any other candidate only hurts him more.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »

Schiavoni's money problem is deceptive. He may not have a lot in the bank himself, but that's because he was doing a lot of fundraising for the Senate Democrats. People like Lou Gentile and Cathy Johnson. He's got good contacts.
Rjjr77
« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2017, 03:43:37 PM »

Schiavoni's money problem is deceptive. He may not have a lot in the bank himself, but that's because he was doing a lot of fundraising for the Senate Democrats. People like Lou Gentile and Cathy Johnson. He's got good contacts.
And the senate hasn't been fundraising powers.

But more importantly, he has contacts but not the level of Sutton, who will tap into DC, State, and Obama network contacts better
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »

And the senate hasn't been fundraising powers.

But more importantly, he has contacts but not the level of Sutton, who will tap into DC, State, and Obama network contacts better

Actually, I'd argue Schiavoni has better contacts than Sutton, at least among Ohio Democrats.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies