Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:24:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Move over, Rick Scott! Chafee is approaching Taft Territory!  (Read 8395 times)
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 05, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »

Chafee's heavy disapproval is exactly because of the reasons already given:

1) he has no base. he was elected with 36% of the vote almost entirely from liberal democrats who were sick of caprio (the dem nominee) bashing obama, telling him to "shove" his endorsement. even in a state like RI, with a lot of blue collar/catholic dems, that didnt go over well, in addition to independents who didn't hate chafee's tenure as senator.

2) the "holiday tree" BS. never mind that his predecessor, carcieri, ALSO called it a holiday tree. talk radio in RI (with 2 right-wing morning/afternoon hosts, and a centrist-right leaning former mayor of providence and convicted felon, buddy cianci, mocking him for days about it). talk radio in RI loves to mock chafee, it's like a sport.

3) he pissed off democrats by advocating union pension reform -- which WAS necessary, as much as it pains me to say. to chafee's credit, he didn't go on bashing teachers like the rest of republicans do in RI.

4) 11% unemployment in rhode island. dysfunctional state government. I can't believe this state sometimes, it makes New York look like a political Eden.

As an aside, my dad worked on Ken Block's campaign, the "Moderate Party" nominee. He got 5 or 6 percent.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies