MN couple lets online community decide if they'll abort their child
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:48:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  MN couple lets online community decide if they'll abort their child
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MN couple lets online community decide if they'll abort their child  (Read 3626 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »

ha, wonder how many people would support the right to abortion if they were forced into the role of abortionist
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:08:23 PM »

ha, wonder how many people would support the right to abortion if they were forced into the role of abortionist

I support the right to have heart surgery if it's needed........care for me to try it out on one of your family members if I'm forced into the role of heart surgeon?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »

I support the right to have heart surgery if it's needed........care for me to try it out on one of your family members if I'm forced into the role of heart surgeon?

obviously, I meant shouldering the responsibility, not having the skill.  but nice attempt to divert from the point
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »

obviously, I meant shouldering the responsibility, not having the skill.  but nice attempt to divert from the point

Shifting?  Hardly.......I thought you were serious.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »

How would you feel about being an executioner? Do you oppose the death penalty?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2010, 04:09:12 PM by jmfcst »

I'm for the death penalty but I oppose lethal injection, but I do support firing squads.  And if I were convinced of the evidence, I'd have no more problem pulling the trigger myself than I would killing an intruder into my house.  It wouldn't be pleasant, but I would do it with a clear conscience.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »

I'm for the death penalty but I oppose lethal injection, but I do support firing squads.  And if I were convinced of the evidence, I'd have no more problem pulling the trigger myself than I would killing an intruder into my house.  It wouldn't be pleasant, but I would do it.

Others likely feel the same way about abortion. Keep your snide remarks to yourself.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »

I'm for the death penalty but I oppose lethal injection, but I do support firing squads.  And if I were convinced of the evidence, I'd have no more problem pulling the trigger myself than I would killing an intruder into my house.  It wouldn't be pleasant, but I would do it.

Others likely feel the same way about abortion. Keep your snide remarks to yourself.

I highly doubt the vast majority of "pro-choice" supporters would accept direct involvement in ripping an innocent child from its mother's womb. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

I highly doubt the vast majority of "pro-choice" supporters would accept direct involvement in ripping an innocent child from its mother's womb.  

Ok, now that I get the point you're trying to make, I'll use a better example......I support allowing humans to choose the same method for their departure of this world that many choose for our pets when need be, but don't expect me to inject either one........does that make me a bad man or a hypocrite, james?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

Ok, now that I get the point you're trying to make, I'll use a better example......I support allowing humans to choose the same method for their departure of this world that many choose for our pets when need be, but don't expect me to inject either one........does that make me a bad man or a hypocrite, james?

1)  i don't see how you're equating abortion with putting down a suffering dog
2)  i don't support assisted suicide, and I don't know how youre equating human life with animal life
3)  real men take responsibility over their pet's life and death, and yes I would have no problem with personally putting down a dog, though that doesn't mean I would enjoy it, but I would be willing to be the "putting-downer", and I could do so with a CLEAR CONSCIENCE
4) my name isn't james
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2010, 06:31:21 PM by Jerry Brown »

Personally I wouldn't have much guilt. Why would I be forced into that role anyways?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »

While I think what they've done is pretty disgusting...

Three miscarriages?

For one, the emotional toll that ONE miscarriage takes on a woman is incredible.  For two, it could be a very good sign that her body isn't ready or does not want to produce a child.

I think the combination of the emotional toll from the miscarriages and misgivings about being a parent because of those has led to this situation.

Reacting in disgust isn't going to make the situation better.  People should be telling them to leave the decision to her, her husband, and her family.  If they have legitimate misgivings about being parents or are afraid the baby may have problems due to the 3 prior miscarriages, then abortion might be an option... but they should talk to the doctor about that, and maybe a therapist as well.

Again... this forum is almost all males.  I'm a male, and I'll never know quite what it's like to deal with a miscarriage.  But two of my closest friends have both had miscarriages and it really took a toll on them.  My own grandma (dad's mom) had a stillborn baby girl that had to be carried to term (this was the late 1950s)... their baby girl that was going to complete the family after two boys.  My grandma jumped in the bottle with my already alcoholic grandpa and it ruined a good 30 years of their lives.

Polling concerned people about having an abortion is hardly anything compared to 30 years of pickling your liver and everybody you love and care about suffering the consequences.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 06:33:07 PM »

Yeah, this sounds more realistic than if were an honest question. Still disturbing, but for different reasons. They are clearly mocking what is definitely a difficult situation and a difficult decision for many women.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »

Yeah, this sounds more realistic than if were an honest question. Still disturbing, but for different reasons. They are clearly mocking what is definitely a difficult situation and a difficult decision for many women.

What a way to make a mockery of what is for the overwhelming majority of people make that decision, a complex and difficult choice.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »

While I agree with you, to be fair, probably most pro-death penalty people wouldn't accept the job of being an executioner.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »

you have to admit that it was a good try. 

I took your point.  It reminded me immediately of the old, "would you be a vegetarian if you had to hunt to eat meat?"  I eat meat with almost every meal, but I find the thought of hunting, skinning, gutting, and cleaning a mammal a bit distasteful.  Ah, what the hell.  I've caught fish, and cleaned them.  Eventually the stench and blood washes off.  I figure I could stomach gutting a cow or a bunny rabbit if it came down to either that or resorting to eating only twigs and leaves and berries for an extended period.

Similarly, if I were a member of the Clan of the Cave Bear, and me and the old lady already had five or six healthy children.  Enough boys to help me hunt the mammoth and enough girls to help Mama with the hut-building and fire-tending, and our extended family was healthy and prosperous, and we'd figured out that the gift from the Great Goddess Mother seemed to always coincide with the joy of sex--At some point humans must have figured that out, although I'd always imagined that this epiphany happened long, long after people learned how to produce and control fire--and if she came up to me and said, "Org, me got another gift from Earth Mother.  What we do?  I learn from Moog's wife that if I eat certain berries and leaves, then big blob of flesh get deposited early, and me no have baby.  What you think?"  Then, I'd probably go out and collect those berries and leaves myself.  Sure, I'd feel a bit queasy about it, just like you would making that noose, and I'd probably get down on my knees and give the Earth Mother some pollen and a bury nice saber tooth from a big cat, and maybe do a little soul-searching (assuming I'd figured out something as sophisticated as a soul), but in the end, I'd reckon that there's hardly enough mammoth to go around, and I already have an extended clan big enough to help me bring one down, and anyway Mama is the one that has to bear the gift, and she seems to have had enough of that.  So, yeah, I'd do what I can to assist her. 

Or maybe not.  Just like you maybe wouldn't pull that trigger in a firing squad or kick the horse out from under a man wearing a noose.  Who can say what he would do in such a situation?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:46 PM »

I don't think I can express my feelings about this particular story without getting reported....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »

I don't think I can express my feelings about this particular story without getting reported....

Twisted, ain't it?  I think it must be a hoax.  I'd wouldn't vote in the poll otherwise. 

But even as a stunt, it's pretty devious.  It's a sick, sad world we live in.  And we're all part of it.  We have perpetuated the story.  Every post we make, every visit to their site just fans the flame.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 09:25:12 PM »

God, damn it feeblepizza it's FAKE we know this for a fact.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:17 PM »

I'm for the death penalty but I oppose lethal injection, but I do support firing squads.  And if I were convinced of the evidence, I'd have no more problem pulling the trigger myself than I would killing an intruder into my house.  It wouldn't be pleasant, but I would do it with a clear conscience.

"Pro life" Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies