U.S. presidential election, 1928 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 08:25:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  U.S. presidential election, 1928 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Hoover (R)

Smith (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: U.S. presidential election, 1928  (Read 2273 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: January 03, 2006, 11:26:25 AM »

I would have voted for Cox in 1920 and Davis in 1924, but I would have to vote for Hoover in 1928, not because I like Hoover a lot, but because of Smith.  Al Smith was a greasy, wet Irishman from the streets of New York City.  He was a tool of Tammany Hall and he just seemed to embody the corruption of many urban Democratic politicians.  Next to him, Hoover was the embodiment of "law and order" and a sound economy.  Terrible, terrible choice for the Democrats to nominate Smith.

This would not have really affected my voting, but let's also not forget what many people at the time felt as well: A vote for Al Smith is a vote for the Pope.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:37:35 AM »

Al Smith was a greasy, wet Irishman from the streets of New York City.  let's also not forget what many people at the time felt as well: A vote for Al Smith is a vote for the Pope.

It is hilarious, Virginian, that your bigotry in 2005 is so similar to that of the nation's in 1928!  Such progress...

Hey, America hater.  I am not anti-Catholic, but perhaps you should know that a lot of Americans were in 1928.  That was the biggest hindrance to Smith's election bid.  I pointed it out in my quote because it was one of the most important issues dominating the campaign.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 01:34:58 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2006, 01:38:28 PM by Virginian87 »

Al Smith was a greasy, wet Irishman from the streets of New York City.  let's also not forget what many people at the time felt as well: A vote for Al Smith is a vote for the Pope.

It is hilarious, Virginian, that your bigotry in 2005 is so similar to that of the nation's in 1928!  Such progress...

Hey, America hater.  I am not anti-Catholic, but perhaps you should know that a lot of Americans were in 1928.  That was the biggest hindrance to Smith's election bid.  I pointed it out in my quote because it was one of the most important issues dominating the campaign.

Yes, I'm well aware that this was a big issue during the campaign, Virginian.  Personally I'm am opposed to Catholicism, though certainly many protestant cults are even worse - particularly those in the South. 

By the way what did you mean by a 'greasy' and 'wet' Irishman? 

He was a "wet," i.e. opposed to prohibition at a time when it was still popular in much of the country.  And I always use the term "greasy" to describe corrupt urban politicians, such as Kwame Kilpatrick and Jim Traficant.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 02:22:58 AM »

If this was 1928, no one would have wanted a Tammany Wet Catholic for President.

Good call.  Terrible, terrible candidate. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies