Let's discuss Mormonism.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 11:49:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Let's discuss Mormonism.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Let's discuss Mormonism.  (Read 29825 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »

By the way, I'm going on my LDS mission in a little more than a month, so if you have any more questions about Mormonism, ask before then.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2013, 08:19:09 AM »

By the way, I'm going on my LDS mission in a little more than a month, so if you have any more questions about Mormonism, ask before then.

So where are you headed, or do you not know that yet?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

So how many wives do you have?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »

Have you heard anything thought the grapevine about what the LDS leadership in hindsight thinks about its full court press involvement (using below the belt tactics) in pushing for the anti-gay prop 8 measure in CA?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »

Kenya?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »

Kenya?

That might cause Bushie to consider becoming a Mormon by adding a letter. Wink
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:04 AM »

LDS missionaries don't know where they're headed until they receive a letter from the Brethren (term for the collective leadership). Since I have Asperger's Syndrome though, I'm probably not going to be going out of Utah. They don't tend to send autistic young men away from their families. I don't know if they'll say yes or no to me going at all, but I predict that I'll have a "service" mission, which is less door-to-door preaching and more just helping out at places like the Family History Center (which has more genealogical records than almost any other place on Earth),

So how many wives do you have?

Fifty. Thousand.

No, but seriously none. I haven't even gone on more than 3 dates in my life. And most modern Mormon men stay married to one woman their entire lives.

Have you heard anything thought the grapevine about what the LDS leadership in hindsight thinks about its full court press involvement (using below the belt tactics) in pushing for the anti-gay prop 8 measure in CA?

I've heard that the leadership regrets the negative backlash that they encountered from Prop 8, and they've accordingly decided to refrain from pushing any other anti-gay-marriage legislation (notice how Washington State and other states didn't have any real LDS opposition when they've been passing gay marriage). It seems that church lawyers are pinning their hopes on the Supreme Court, but based on their approval of anti-discrimination measures in Utah, I think they realize they're losing this fight.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

Thanks for the responses Zioneer, as always. You seem amazingly lucid given your condition, but then it is one that I don't understand. That was not covered much in my NAMI classes.

I once went to an LDS Family Center because I needed to sign a declaration in a real estate adverse possession case, where the technical owner were unknown issue of a guy who died in about 1910, then I had made a good faith effort to track them down. So off to the Family Center. The guy there was most helpful - almost too helpful in fact. What amazed me was that the billions of names, and the attendant information, was all on about 30 CD's maybe, stacked on top of one another on this cylinder resting on a plate sitting on his desk. Man, things have changed. I can't imagine was it was like before information could be cyber stored.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2013, 11:16:04 AM »

Thanks for the responses Zioneer, as always. You seem amazingly lucid given your condition, but then it is one that I don't understand. That was not covered much in my NAMI classes.

I once went to an LDS Family Center because I needed to sign a declaration in a real estate adverse possession case, where the technical owner were unknown issue of a guy who died in about 1910, then I had made a good faith effort to track them down. So off to the Family Center. The guy there was most helpful - almost too helpful in fact. What amazed me was that the billions of names, and the attendant information, was all on about 30 CD's maybe, stacked on top of one another on this cylinder resting on a plate sitting on his desk. Man, things have changed. I can't imagine was it was like before information could be cyber stored.

Well, my Asperger's Syndrome doesn't affect my writing all that much (besides making it slow, unemotional, and plodding whenever I try and write fiction), it's more of social situations where I am impaired. And even then, I'm apparently fairly good at appearing "normal".

As for your experience,, yeah, that tends to be the Mormon way of helping. We really get into it. Nowadays we a lot more sophisticated technology for that sort of thing, but we still use microfilm readers to read old records.

Any more questions?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »

Thread, rise from your grave!

Anyway, so I've just been told that I'm going to be doing an LDS service mission (not a normal proselytizing mission), so I felt it was time to revive the thread and answer your questions. So ask away!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »

Bumping this, with the added note that you're going to see LDS missionaries online now. New policy change. I'm doing a service mission so it doesn't apply to me, but normal missionaries are being allowed to talk to folks online now.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »

Bumping this, with the added note that you're going to see LDS missionaries online now. New policy change. I'm doing a service mission so it doesn't apply to me, but normal missionaries are being allowed to talk to folks online now.

It would be nice to be left alone.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »

It would be nice to be left alone.

Hey, at least I won't be the one trying to convert you over the 'net. Chalk me up as someone who isn't going to be converting anyone.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »

Do the majority of Mormons consider Mormonism as a part of Christianity? 
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

To add to that question; If they do consider themselves Christian, do they think of themselves as Protestants or as their own group?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »

To add to that question; If they do consider themselves Christian, do they think of themselves as Protestants or as their own group?

Yes, we do consider ourselves Christians (It's in our official freaking name after all), and yes we consider ourselves Protestant (of a sort. Insisting that we're the only "true" church puts us into a weird category).

Our religious culture has a lot of respect for Martin Luther (we kind of quietly sidestep the antisemitism he expressed), and especially for the early Bible Latin-to-English translators. Those Mormons who know of him (and we had a movie about his troubles) friggin love John Wycliffe.

I actually have a very weird opinion on Mormons being Christians; I believe that, but I also think that because of our idiosyncrasies, we could consider ourselves the fourth Abrahamic religion. I also fervently believe in Joseph Smith's teaching that every other religion teaches at least a little bit of the truth. I'm still a Mormon, but for example I think Buddhism has some excellent teachings.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »

Do some consider the term "Mormon" derogatory? If so, is there another adjective used to describe a member of the LDS Church? You'll have to forgive me if this question has already been asked.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2013, 10:16:32 AM »

Do some consider the term "Mormon" derogatory? If so, is there another adjective used to describe a member of the LDS Church? You'll have to forgive me if this question has already been asked.

A few people still consider it derogatory, but the LDS Church itself has mostly embraced the term "Mormon" (see the "I'm a Mormon" videos for example), mostly because everybody is going to call us that anyway and it isn't really offensive. We still don't call ourselves Mormon or use it in member-to-member conversation, but I see it as a good shorthand.

We're officially Latter Day Saints, but that takes way too long to remember or say.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 01, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »

Sorry for bumping this thread after so long, but after the same-sex marriage ban going down in Utah, and the LDS Church saying that yes, the priesthood ban was racist, I thought this was about time to revive this thread.

So does anyone have any further questions about Mormonism?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »

Forgive me if I'm just flat-out incorrect here, but isn't it true that the LDS Church believes that Mormonism is more or less the same as the original practice of Christianity, ie the form of Christianity practiced between the Resurrection of Jesus and the Great Apostasy. Based on what is historically known about the earliest practice of Christianity, is that belief not historically inaccurate?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2014, 11:03:14 PM »

Forgive me if I'm just flat-out incorrect here, but isn't it true that the LDS Church believes that Mormonism is more or less the same as the original practice of Christianity, ie the form of Christianity practiced between the Resurrection of Jesus and the Great Apostasy. Based on what is historically known about the earliest practice of Christianity, is that belief not historically inaccurate?

Oh it's no problem, ask away.

In any case, we believe that some beliefs were altered or misinterpreted by Christians after the Apostasy and we don't follow say, the Nicene Creed at all. We also focus on the practices found in the Book of Mormon and on modern policies (not doctrine, but institutional policies) we find helpful. Also, we are a church of continuing revelation while at the same time believing that we're a restoration of original principles. It's complicated, and possibly contradictory, but that's the way it is.

Also we believe that Joseph Smith was inspired to tweak a few words and passages here and there in the Bible to ensure that it was accurate.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

So I'm listening to a podcast/reading a book about Elijah Abel, the first black priest in Mormonism. It's a very fascinating story.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:11 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »

I don't know if it has already been discussed in this thread, but what is Mormonism's stance on evolution, and science in general? 

I'll borrow the answer to that (and to whether we believe in aliens) from another Mormon on another forum:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

To add to that, most Mormons have the thought that since God is God of the entire universe and not just Earth, it makes no sense to only have life here.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #224 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:30 PM »

So just to dust off this thread: the Church just had their General Conference weekend, and appointed about 42 new "area seventies" (regional leaders, basically) of a huge variety of nationalities.

Very interesting, and might be the sign of a new international push by the LDS Church.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies