Marist/NBC4 MD Poll: Clinton +22 Trump +12 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:22:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Marist/NBC4 MD Poll: Clinton +22 Trump +12 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marist/NBC4 MD Poll: Clinton +22 Trump +12  (Read 6090 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »

Sanders's target in Maryland is only 40%. 36% with two weeks to go is a great place to be.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:21:18 AM »

Sanders's target in Maryland is only 40%. 36% with two weeks to go is a great place to be.

Aiming to lose when you're already way behind and with time running out?  Great strategy.

I think you'll find that winning in Maryland or even coming closer than 20 points there is unnecessary to catch up in pledged delegates by June 7 if you look at the math. I've linked the set of margins Sanders needs in my sig. And yes, I think him landsliding in OR/WV/ND/SD and getting 60% in PA is less unrealistic than him making MD a close race.

Obviously you can mix and match things - giving Clinton a 10 point win in Maryland gives Sanders room to fall below some of his other april 26 targets - for instance, he can settle for 60% in RI, 59% in PA, and 58% in CT and still end up 1 delegate ahead after June 7. But I think Sanders getting to 45% in Maryland is far more of a pipe dream than him getting 60% in PA, 61% in CT, and 65% in RI.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »

I can see Sanders getting 36% here. On election night. If he's lucky. NoVA already showed us how PG and Montgomery counties will vote, and we know that Clinton will get at least 75% of the black vote like in every other southern state.

Maryland is not a southern state. Period.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »

I can see Sanders getting 36% here. On election night. If he's lucky. NoVA already showed us how PG and Montgomery counties will vote, and we know that Clinton will get at least 75% of the black vote like in every other southern state.

Maryland is not a southern state. Period.

I don't care about some stupid census region designed based on attitudes around slavery. Maryland and the "bible belt" share nothing significant culturally, politically, or geographically in the present day, and the regions should be changed to reflect that.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:38:34 PM »

Wulfric you're wrong and dumb, go read a book.

What do Maryland and Alabama share culturally today?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:16 PM »

So something happened after 150 years that turned Maryland from a Southern state into a non-Southern one...

Yep. 150 years ago Maryland was basically the confederacy culturally and even voted for Breckinridge, although it didn't secede. Today, no one would visit Maryland and then visit the deep south and then say "well, these places have a lot in common".
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »

Wulfric you're wrong and dumb, go read a book.

What do Maryland and Alabama share culturally today?

A history of slavery, large populations of African Americans, better food than Minnesota...

If large populations of African Americans means everything, then there's no point in including WV but excluding MO. And I don't think regions should be based on history, and if that means changing around the census maps every 50 years or so, so be it.

Alright, so two pages debating whether or not Maryland is a Southern state... what does this have to do with the poll again?

It means that Clinton isn't going to win Maryland AA's by the same margin as she won SC AA's.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:09:49 PM »

For the record, the states in blue below are what I personally define the south as:

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:23:18 PM »

So something happened after 150 years that turned Maryland from a Southern state into a non-Southern one...

Yep. 150 years ago Maryland was basically the confederacy culturally and even voted for Breckinridge, although it didn't secede. Today, no one would visit Maryland and then visit the deep south and then say "well, these places have a lot in common".

If Georgia began to suddenly vote similarly to Maryland, would it cease being Southern?

Nope, because it would likely still be like the rest of the south culturally, and even if it wasn't, it would still qualify based on a common sense geography argument. That doesn't work for Maryland - someone without knowledge of arbitrary census regions would never guess that it would be considered a southern state by them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies