Are the polls skewed? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 01:45:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are the polls skewed? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are non-GOP/Rasmussen polls skewed w/ too many Dems?
D-Yes

D-No

I-Yes

I-No

R-Yes

R-No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 79

Author Topic: Are the polls skewed?  (Read 3949 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »

I like how even with a R+4 sample, Obama is either tied or leading. Romney should be at least winning by 4-6 points in such a sample to even have a chance on election day. Anyone who thinks there won't at least be a D+3 advantage on election day is delusional.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »

If you don't understand polls, then yeah.  Pollsters (except Rasmussen) don't do quotas.  Random samples are just that, random.  If 35-40% of random 1,000 people keep saying they self-identify as Democrats, guess what?  It's the same is if 35-40% of random 1,000 people kept saying they like turkey sandwiches, even if only 30% said they did two years ago.  Turkey sandwich eaters are not being over-polled.  Things change over time.
^^^ This. Though if you want to hang on to your delusional thoughts that's just fine by me. Just don't do anything stupid when a D+5 electorate shows up on election day.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:09:22 PM »
« Edited: September 27, 2012, 03:11:01 PM by Senator Sbane »

I think Democrats are overpolled, but I don't think it's intentional efforts to make Obama look good.

I have always considered you to be a very rational and smart guy, so why are you buying into this? Please understand that except for Rasmussen, nobody else weighs by party ID. So they couldn't be overpolling Democrats (unless you think they have a flawed methodology leading them to contact more Democrats). In addition, in most of the polls they ask whether you consider yourself to be a Democrat or Republican, not what their registration is. Party ID is fluid. People who were apprehensive about the economy and were undecided or voting for Romney might have been identifying as Independents back during summer. After the Mitt gaffes, or perhaps the DNC, they might be willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt and now could be identifying as a Democrat. Similarly someone who might have been identifying as a Republican in the summer might be identifying as an Independent now due to some of the Mitt gaffes. Party ID is not an unchanging demographic characteristic like race, gender or age, it is very fluid. Even more fluid than party registration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies