What states support protectionism?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What states support protectionism?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What states support protectionism?  (Read 1760 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »

Birmingham, AL was founded after the Civil War for its proximity to coal, iron ore, and limestone deposits in the area and named after the English industrial city of the same name. These ingredients are rarely found in close proximity, and with the arrival of the railroads, the city was able to export high quality steel. It’s access to poor, rural white and black Alabama labor from the countryside gave the city a competitive low wage workforce. In three decades it’s population grew from almost nothing to over 100,000, and it was nicknamed “the Pittsburgh of the South.”
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »

I'd imagine that support for protectionism would be higher in the Midwest and in the South while opposition to it would be higher in the Northeast and in the West

Are you sure about the South being more protectionist? The South has always been very hostile to trade unionism, so I don't know if the South would be very supportive of protectionism. The Jacksonian Upper South/Appalachian regions sure, but the core such as  AR, TX,LA,FL, MS, GA,AL,SC,NC/VA,TN, would be free trade supporters.

Though many of these states support agricultural subsidies and protection - c.f. Rubio and sugar industry protection. The farm belt - Iowa's constant calls to protect American farmers from imports.

TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »

I decided to make a map, like RINO Tom's, of where I think the free-trade/protectionist divide stands:

Free Trade
Protectionist

Not quite sure about several of these states. I think my map assumed protectionism too liberally (ba dum tss).
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 08:52:02 PM »

I decided to make a map, like RINO Tom's, of where I think the free-trade/protectionist divide stands:

Free Trade
Protectionist

Not quite sure about several of these states. I think my map assumed protectionism too liberally (ba dum tss).

Why is the NW so protectionist?
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:25 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2017, 09:18:56 PM by Representative LouisvilleThunder »

I think this map can illustrate the divide between free trade and protectionism better as the Midwest is the solid bastion for protectionism as well as some parts of New England, the Pacific NW (Because of the historical lumber industry and Progressivism), and in Montana and Alabama. Free trade views dominate in the West, the Deep South minus Alabama, and in the bigger, wealthier cosmopolitan NE.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »

I think this map can illustrate the divide between free trade and protectionism better as the Midwest is the solid bastion for protectionism as well as some parts of New England, the Pacific NW (Because of the historical lumber industry and Progressivism), and in Montana and Alabama. Free trade views dominate in the West, the Deep South minus Alabama, and in the bigger, wealthier cosmopolitan NE.

I don't have a lot of issues with this (mostly due to me not knowing, LOL), but I would definitely switch Iowa and the Dakotas to free traders on more of a "Plainsy" reasoning and Illinois and Indiana to free traders on a corn belt + big metro coalition.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies