Polls show Blackwell leading in OH GOP primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Polls show Blackwell leading in OH GOP primary
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Polls show Blackwell leading in OH GOP primary  (Read 7652 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 10:03:12 PM »

As for the comment from Joe that running the Ohio recount will not help Blackwell win Democrats, news flash: We don't need Democrats to win Ohio.

True, but winning at least a couple swing Democratic votes would certainly help Blackwell.  But it won't happen even without his handling of the election last year - the nutjob will be lucky to win any of the moderate independent vote next year.  I guess it depends if black voters (likely Democrats) will vote for race over issues.  It never worked for Alan Keyes, but hey, Ken could get lucky.

I don't get the impression that Blackwell is any more conservative than Bush.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 09:29:57 PM »

I'm no expert on Ohio, but everyone here are forgetting two things.  OH is similar to PA being moderate populist.  Strickland is a moderate populist and will easily win a lot of white voters just because he's white.  I know the black-white thing SHOULDN'T matter, but in reality it does.  Blackwell will get some voters in Cuyahoga county from the Dems due to the race issue, but a populist, white Dem is mroe than enough to flip MANY Bush voters to Strickland. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 10:08:01 PM »

Generally you're right - he's just a run of the mill conservative on most issues.  However, he strongly disapproves of any form of fiscal irresponsibility, which would already put him at odds with Bush.

But every now and again he comes out with something that just leaves me with the impression that he's just - for want of a better word - nuts.  The only things I can think of right now are his strong endorsement of Steve Forbes for president in 2000, and his particular views on same-sex marriage:

"I don't know how many of you have a farming background but I can tell you right now that notion [same-sex marriage] even defies barnyard logic ... the barnyard knows better"
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 09:03:20 AM »

Generally you're right - he's just a run of the mill conservative on most issues.  However, he strongly disapproves of any form of fiscal irresponsibility, which would already put him at odds with Bush.

But every now and again he comes out with something that just leaves me with the impression that he's just - for want of a better word - nuts.  The only things I can think of right now are his strong endorsement of Steve Forbes for president in 2000, and his particular views on same-sex marriage:

"I don't know how many of you have a farming background but I can tell you right now that notion [same-sex marriage] even defies barnyard logic ... the barnyard knows better"

Er, just whose 'views' onh same-sex marriage are nuts?

The people of Ohio voted on the measure in 2004 and supported Blackwell's position by 62 to 38.

Would you like the figures from Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Montana, Utah, Michigan and Oregon?  They also had the measure on the ballot, and the majority in every instance sided with Blackwell.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 10:43:24 AM »

Er, just whose 'views' onh same-sex marriage are nuts?

The people of Ohio voted on the measure in 2004 and supported Blackwell's position by 62 to 38.

Would you like the figures from Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Montana, Utah, Michigan and Oregon?  They also had the measure on the ballot, and the majority in every instance sided with Blackwell.

They may not support gay marriage, but I doubt a majority of them have a hatred for gays.  The comment made above by Blackwell obviously shows a strong hatred for gays.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2005, 12:10:24 PM »

IT IS NOT AT ALL 'OBVIOUS'!

One of the major problems contemporary American liberals have it they all too often assume bad motivations on the part of those who dare to disagree with politically correct positions.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2005, 01:25:06 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2005, 02:53:15 PM by nickshep democRAT »

One of the major problems contemporary American liberals have it they all too often assume bad motivations on the part of those who dare to disagree with politically correct positions.

Comparing barnyard animals to gays?  Get for real.

By the way, I dont support gay marriage, but I also do not support degrading/hateful/intolerant comments towards gays like the one made above by Blackwell.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2005, 02:34:37 PM »

By the way, I dont support gay marriage, but I also do not support hateful comments towards gays like the one made above by Blackwell.

Clearly you DID NOT understand Blackwell's point.

He made it clear that even barnyard animals knew better.

Nothing 'hateful,' just a common sense observation.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

Stricklend will cream Blackwell, and we will finally have a governor who actuly helps Ohio as opposed to screwing it up.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »

Stricklend will cream Blackwell, and we will finally have a governor who actuly helps Ohio as opposed to screwing it up.

[whisper] Its Strickland, not Stricklend.  Might want to change your signature.  Wink [/whisper]
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2005, 12:05:22 PM »

Honestly, Democrats are in a fantasy land about Ohio, just like Florida four years ago.  Remember how Terry McAuliffe poured all that money into Florida, and Republicans held the Governoship in 2002 and gained a Senate seat in 2004? 

Have fun running Paul Hackett for Senate, or whoever you've convinced to make that suicide run, and good luck beating a black Republican in a state where Democrat are totally reliant on the heavily black Cuyahoga County.

Ford

I’m afraid its inaccurate to argue that Ohio in 06 will be a repeat of Florida in 02, indeed beyond the two states having been the proverbial ground zero for presidential elections two years before there really is no comparison IMHO.

In Florida, the Democrats had a divisive primary for the Governorship, faced a popular and effective incumbent in the shape of Jeb Bush and a well organised state GOP campaign, when it comes to the gubernatorial contest in Ohio next fall the opposite is the case, the incumbent Governor and his administration are mired in scandal which has reflected broadly on the state GOP as a whole.

So in short Ohio isn’t anything like Florida was during the last midterms.

The eventual GOP nominee will find it tough to disassociate themselves from the shadow of scandal cast by Taft’s outgoing administration, what’s more in addition to this they will likely face a tough and competitive Democratic nominee in the shape of Ted Strickland.

Such a race is a million miles away from the contest which Jeb Bush, a popular incumbent, faced four years ago in Florida against a less strong Democratic nominee. The race will be competitive, but Strickland starts it with some important advantages, while in contrast the GOP nominee will face some big obstacles.

The senate race will be far tougher for the Democrats, despite an unpopular incumbent and a weakened GOP both locally and nationally, DeWine still enjoys the advantages of incumbency as well as a huge war chest, however DeWine will face a well funded primary challenge, and at the same time while the strongest potential Democrat Tim Ryan has passed on the race Paul Hackett, the now likely nominee, is not a weak candidate and will make the race competitive, what is more Hackett will also be facing an unpopular incumbent… DeWine still has the advantage in this race, however its not much of an advantage, and as with the gubernatorial contest, it would be foolish to assume that he is, despite all the evidence to the contrary, somehow ‘safe’.

IMHO, the end result is that the gubernatorial race leans to Strickland and the Dems, while the Senate race leans towards DeWine and the GOP… yet out of the two I’d say that Strickland has a far clearer advantage than DeWine.         

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2005, 03:12:28 PM »

By the way, I dont support gay marriage, but I also do not support hateful comments towards gays like the one made above by Blackwell.

Clearly you DID NOT understand Blackwell's point.

He made it clear that even barnyard animals knew better.

Nothing 'hateful,' just a common sense observation.

Actually Nick is right here.  In any case, barnyard animals don't get married regardless of what gender they are, so Blackwell's comment doesn't even make sense.  The logical conclusion, therefore, is that he was actually comparing gay people to barnyard animals.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2005, 04:41:13 PM »

Interesting - McCain endorses Blackwell - http://www.kenblackwell.com/news/Read.aspx?ID=175
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2005, 05:37:52 AM »

I tend to agree with Politics 1, its part of his game plan for 2008.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »

Being Secretary of State does not make you part of a Governor's administration.  Neither does holding any other elected down ticket office.  Is California's Treasurer and its Controller part of Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration?  Obviously not, as they are in the other party and both will challenge the Governor next year.  Secretary of State is a position independent of the Governor's administration.

Furthermore, Blackwell has modeled much of his campaign on attacking Taft.  To say that Blackwell can be tied to Taft is ludicrous on its face when Blackwell is the leading anti-Taft Republican!

As for the comment from Joe that running the Ohio recount will not help Blackwell win Democrats, news flash: We don't need Democrats to win Ohio.  It was only a swing state last year because of the economy, which will not be a drag on Blackwell as it is for Bush.

Honestly, Democrats are in a fantasy land about Ohio, just like Florida four years ago.  Remember how Terry McAuliffe poured all that money into Florida, and Republicans held the Governoship in 2002 and gained a Senate seat in 2004?  Have fun running Paul Hackett for Senate, or whoever you've convinced to make that suicide run, and good luck beating a black Republican in a state where Democrat are totally reliant on the heavily black Cuyahoga County.

Thanks, but it looks like we didn't need good luck.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2006, 01:41:03 PM »

Looks like jdb and Ben Meyers win the Scoonie award for nailing this one so early.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »

I think it's definitely official: black people don't vote for black people just because they're black. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies