FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:17:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 130
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 118169 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2022, 05:12:23 PM »

This probably helps Trump politically in the short-term. Literally the majority of the GOP is coming to his aid as a result of this.
Nobody cares about that, voters have goldfish memory. What this could impact is the midterms, how do you see this changing that?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #551 on: August 10, 2022, 05:24:56 PM »

This probably helps Trump politically in the short-term. Literally the majority of the GOP is coming to his aid as a result of this.

Hot take: Republican, Trump-appointed FBI Director Chris Wray authorized the raid on Mar-a-Lago in order to help Trump politically. Tongue
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2022, 05:30:35 PM »

Trump belongs in jail. We can only hope this happens sooner rather than later.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #553 on: August 10, 2022, 05:32:19 PM »

The problem for DOJ has been that 5 people just died it was tragic they died but if there were mass casualties or kidnappings the DOJ would of had a slam dunk case as I said Trump is definitetly guilty of mob action but aggravate mob action a felony not just a misdemeanor it's not a case yet otherwise Trump would have been imprisonment already

Trump can argue in Crtt against a felony conviction that Pelosi had been in charge of Security he can argue that he said peacefully protest and will an all white jury convict Trump if so it can be Appealed all the way to super R majority SCOTUS
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #554 on: August 10, 2022, 06:49:22 PM »

This is why we need immediate oversight and answers from the Justice Department on why the raid was conducted.  The DOJ seems to be downplaying the raid, which is not a very smart political calculation.   

Well they're not supposed to be political.

Merrick Garland is a political appointee.  Any raid/investigation into a former president is going to attract major political attention, so he should have been out in front of this with a major press conference the day after the raid was conducted.  Staying silent makes it seem like they're hiding something. 

Only to politically hackish cult members. (Shrug)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #555 on: August 10, 2022, 06:53:18 PM »

If Trump was mishandling classified information, then yes, the FBI should go retrieve that information.

If Trump was in possession of classified information, there's no reason that couldn't have been resolved cooperatively (or at most with a subpoena.)  Trump voluntarily surrended 15 boxes of documents to the National Archives back in January. 

Sure. No one knows yet what the warrant was for, but I highly doubt the FBI raids a former president's house if there was not something serious to it. I do not believe the conspiracies that somehow Biden is pushing the FBI to take out Trump before the next election. Biden probably wants to run against Trump again.

This is why we need immediate oversight and answers from the Justice Department on why the raid was conducted.  The DOJ seems to be downplaying the raid, which is not a very smart political calculation.   
Why can't Trump just tell us?

Tell us what?  That the FBI is on a fishing expedition and showed up to Mar-a-Lago to collect every piece of paper they could get their hands on?  He's already said that
He has a copy of the warrant and can release it.
As multiple posters have already said, it's unlikely the warrant contains any information as to why the search was conducted.

Georgia "the nice mod" Moderate, provided a link to an article that tells you all you need to know and more. I copied and pasted it below for your convenience. If true, it was the antithesis of a fishing expedition. That of course brings up the question of just why Trump was so intent on keeping records that it was a felony for him to keep. Feel free to speculate away on that one.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-informer-told-fbi-what-docs-trump-was-hiding-where-1732283

This reporting does not indicate that Trump was, as you say, "intent" on keeping classified information at Mar-A-Lago.  Quite the opposite, actually!  He had already voluntarily returned 15 boxes of documents to the National Archives in January.  If the FBI had reason to suspect that there were additional documents at Mar-a-Lago that still needed to be surrendered, it is not apparent why they needed to be seized in a raid instead of collected cooperatively (as before) or through the use of a subpoena. 

And yet They seized 15 boxes worth of documents. So if somebody steals $100,000 but returns 50,000 they should be above the law? This is literally the level of your so-called argument.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #556 on: August 10, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »

I really love how the current "defense" being offered by Republicans isn't even that Trump is innocent. They're just straight up admitting that they think the President should be above the law.

If you had your way , many members of the Bush admin would have been arrested and even many members of other admin and our foreign policy would be crippled .

Should John Bolton be arrested for admitting he was part of plans of regime change operations in other nations

Impeached maybe, but I've never heard anyone serious on our side - nice attempt at what about is a BTW - say that there was some basis to literally indict and convict Bush for criminal activities. Sure you hear online college students Screech about how I should be brought up for war crimes in The Hague yada yada yada, but you're talking points here are typical not in conjunction with reality. Thanks for playing though!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #557 on: August 10, 2022, 06:57:36 PM »

I really love how the current "defense" being offered by Republicans isn't even that Trump is innocent. They're just straight up admitting that they think the President should be above the law.

If you had your way , many members of the Bush admin would have been arrested and even many members of other admin and our foreign policy would be crippled .

Should John Bolton be arrested for admitting he was part of plans of regime change operations in other nations

No, he shouldn't but that's different from having possession of plans about a future planned regime change in Iran or something. Also very few Democrats actually supporting sending the Bush family to jail outside of a few clueless terminally online leftists.

That is cause they knew though that if you did try to prosecute Bush on some technicalities it would open the door for every president to be prosecuted . BTW this does not mean Trump can’t be prosecuted under what I believe cause :

1. If this rises to the level of espionage than yes he should be prosecuted

2. He is also under investigation for trying to illegally overturn the election both Federally and in Georgia and I think this is something presidents obviously should be prosecuted for as well

No you silly little man child. As noted no one other than some terminally online Fringe types with zero power in the party called on Bush to be indicted and prosecuted for actual crimes. Hell, few people actually called for him to be impeached, I'll be it someone more, for the falsehoods on which the Iraq War was based.

The reason Democrats didn't to indict and prosecute bush for crimes wasn't because of some mythical precedent that you have convinced yourself as being set up because President should be above the law unless they meet some nebulous test you haven't even been able to articulate, but because he didn't commit any actual crimes! Get a clue!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #558 on: August 10, 2022, 07:17:08 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #559 on: August 10, 2022, 07:18:33 PM »

Look OSR, I'll ask you straight up, if Donald Trump shot someone in cold blood on Fifth Avenue, do you think that he should be immune from being prosecuted simply because he was the President?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #560 on: August 10, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2022, 07:35:48 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Obviously the cult is going to circle the wagons on this, no matter how inconsistent it's making them look, but can they really expect everyone else outside of their hive-mind to feel the same? I personally doubt it for a litany of reasons. And that's not even considering the threats of violence we'll probably see against FBI field offices all across the country. That'll certainly reflect well on Trump and the GOP.

*Slams head on desk*

Exactly like this!

It's only been two days since the FBI raid and I've already run out of GOP Hypocrisy BINGO cards to fill out.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #561 on: August 10, 2022, 07:32:30 PM »

*Slams head on desk*

It's only been two days since the FBI raid and I've already run out of GOP Hypocrisy BINGO cards to fill out.

Fox is gonna get him killed.

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #562 on: August 10, 2022, 07:44:13 PM »

If something happens to this judge now, the family needs to sue the pants off of Fox News and every anchor who has spread nonsense about him.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #563 on: August 10, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »

Obviously the cult is going to circle the wagons on this, no matter how inconsistent it's making them look, but can they really expect everyone else outside of their hive-mind to feel the same? I personally doubt it for a litany of reasons. And that's not even considering the threats of violence we'll probably see against FBI field offices all across the country. That'll certainly reflect well on Trump and the GOP.

*Slams head on desk*

Exactly like this!

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #564 on: August 10, 2022, 07:58:47 PM »

Republicans are rightfully outraged over the Florida raid!

As an ambassador for Russia, Donald Trump possesses DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY after all.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #565 on: August 10, 2022, 08:00:30 PM »

Look OSR, I'll ask you straight up, if Donald Trump shot someone in cold blood on Fifth Avenue, do you think that he should be immune from being prosecuted simply because he was the President?

Obviously not
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #566 on: August 10, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »

Obviously not

That's not what you indicated here:

I think these crimes are the ones that presidents really should be charged with :

- Treason
- Trying to illegally overturn elections
- Trying to Physically harm political opponents

Other than that let the political arena and the public  deal the consequences out
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #567 on: August 10, 2022, 08:15:05 PM »

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #568 on: August 10, 2022, 08:19:32 PM »

*Slams head on desk*

Fox is gonna get him killed.

Wow, he likes booze and Oreos.  That sounds like a pretty fun guy to me. 

Really got him, FOX News.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #569 on: August 10, 2022, 08:25:01 PM »

Wait, I thought the judge was a conservative appointed by Trump? Which is it?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2022, 08:34:59 PM »

Reinhart is a magistrate judge, who get appointed by district judges.

Newsweek reports though:

Reinhart has also previously donated to both Democratic and Republican political campaigns. In 2008, he gave $1,000 to former President Barack Obama's campaign and a further $1,000 to the Obama Victory Fund.

In 2016, Reinhart donated $500 to the presidential campaign of former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination that was eventually won by Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/who-bruce-reinhart-judge-approved-fbi-mar-lago-raid-donald-trump-florida-1732353?fbclid=IwAR0f99QCp6D8MSCCkwf9iyo7I1h7W2SsDE7zW7lf9Y8PD8OziMJcvjJe_HM
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2022, 08:36:08 PM »

Newsweek reports though:

Reinhart has also previously donated to both Democratic and Republican political campaigns. In 2008, he gave $1,000 to former President Barack Obama's campaign and a further $1,000 to the Obama Victory Fund.

In 2016, Reinhart donated $500 to the presidential campaign of former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination that was eventually won by Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/who-bruce-reinhart-judge-approved-fbi-mar-lago-raid-donald-trump-florida-1732353?fbclid=IwAR0f99QCp6D8MSCCkwf9iyo7I1h7W2SsDE7zW7lf9Y8PD8OziMJcvjJe_HM

He was an Obama-Jeb! voter? Based
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #572 on: August 11, 2022, 06:44:27 AM »

Newsweek reports though:

He was an Obama-Jeb! voter? Based

The fact of the matter is that Reinhart didn't support Trump in 2016 which means he's a NeverTrumper RINO. If you are not with Trump you are against him!
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #573 on: August 11, 2022, 07:53:37 AM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P