Why did Thurmond do so poorly in Georgia in 1948?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:02:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why did Thurmond do so poorly in Georgia in 1948?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Thurmond do so poorly in Georgia in 1948?  (Read 3539 times)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »
« edited: July 25, 2009, 08:57:04 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

He won the rest of the Deep South by wide margins, yet barely broke 20% in Georgia. Was Truman especially popular there for some reason? Were Blacks allowed to vote in Georgia by that point? The latter seems unlikely because their congressional delegation almost unanimously opposed the Civil Rights Act. Was it due to ballot-stuffing and/or machine politics? Most Southern Elections before the 1960s probably wouldn't be considered free or fair today because of various types of shenanigans and eligibility requirements that most Blacks and even many Whites couldn't meet. Was it some other factor?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:45:39 PM »

I believe the Georgia machine was behind Truman.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »

I believe the Georgia machine was behind Truman.

Yup.  Russell supported Truman that year; had he supported Thurmond, Strom would've won.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 10:36:22 PM »

The Party supported Truman. I think the Party remained behind the national Party for quite some time.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »

The Party supported Truman. I think the Party remained behind the national Party for quite some time.

Well they voted for Goldwater in 64 and Wallace in 68, so the 1948 result jumped out as odd to me.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »

Well they voted for Goldwater in 64 and Wallace in 68, so the 1948 result jumped out as odd to me.

64 and 68 were post-Civil Rights act.  The machine was dead and the Republican conversion began.  Unfortunately, the Jimmy Carter anomaly doesn't make this clear on paper.
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:22:08 AM »

64 and 68 were post-Civil Rights act.  The machine was dead and the Republican conversion began.  Unfortunately, the Jimmy Carter anomaly doesn't make this clear on paper.

Clinton won it in 1992, and only lost it by 1.2% in 1996. Georgia didn't flip at the state and local level until the early 2000s, well after most of the rest of the South.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:26:35 AM »

But Kennedy also had machine support in Georgia in 1960, where there actually was a primary challenge by an unpledged slate just as in Alabama, but fell flat after Governor Vandiver (a Conservative) personally headed the Kennedy slate IIRC.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 09:06:37 AM »

Thurmond won severeal southern states so eaisly because in most of them he was the only on the ballot, as official Democratic nominee

Yes, his popular vote was not impressive, but turnout was low in the south in general at this time, as nearly everyone votes for official (in this case) Democratic nominee
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:52 AM »

Thurmond won severeal southern states so eaisly because in most of them he was the only on the ballot, as official Democratic nominee

He was only the official nominee, I believe, in South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi; Truman was kept off the ballot entirely in Alabama.  In every other Southern state, he had to compete with Truman, which is why he only received 49% of the vote in Louisiana, and under 20% in every other Southern state.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »

Atlas only has Thurmond on the Democratic ballot line in MS and AL. In SC, LA he was on the States' Rights line.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »

Atlas only has Thurmond on the Democratic ballot line in MS and AL. In SC, LA he was on the States' Rights line.

Thanks for the correction.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »

Or you could explain it as the fact that segregation was no longer a viable political force, which has the added virtue of being true.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:03 AM »

Or you could explain it as the fact that segregation was no longer a viable political force, which has the added virtue of being true.

You're right, but 20 years later Wallace won Georgia, as well as Arkansas, both states lost by Thurmond.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:28 AM »

Was Truman on the SC ballot? I know he was not in AL at all and in Louisiana he was put only after Allen Elleeder direct intervention.

Well, who would dixiecrats vote instead? Dewey? Wallace? That's why Thurmond does so well.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »

Was Truman on the SC ballot?

Yes, he was, as a Democrat - Thurmond was on States' Rights line. Alabama was the only state where he wasn't on the ballot.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »

Incidentally, Dewey performed amazingly well in Alabama.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 06:17:30 PM »

Not really.  He only got 19%; he got 18% in 1944.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 06:27:32 PM »

I meant that in comparison to neighboring states. Hoover very nearly won Alabama, for that matter.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

I meant that in comparison to neighboring states. Hoover very nearly won Alabama, for that matter.

He actually did poorly; only in MS did he get under 17% of the vote, and did better in FL and TN, while basically tying in GA.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 07:19:25 PM »

He actually did poorly; only in MS did he get under 17% of the vote, and did better in FL and TN, while basically tying in GA.

Alabama can only really be compared to Mississippi and South Carolina.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies