Best matchup for the Dems to win MS in a non-landslide win (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 09:57:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Best matchup for the Dems to win MS in a non-landslide win (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best matchup for the Dems to win MS in a non-landslide win  (Read 1570 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: December 01, 2016, 01:44:22 AM »

Trump appoints Cochran or Wicker to something, and a special election ensues. The Republican nominee is caught doing what David Vitter did (but worse) and Jim Hood is the Democratic candidate. Hood wins the special election, is re-elected in 2018 (if it was Wicker) and runs for the Democratic nomination, beating Bill De Blasio and Andrew Cuomo in a hard-fought primary. Due to a failing economy (disproportionately affecting the Deep South) and an incredibly incompetent President Trump, Hood beats Trump comfortably, with Obama 2012 level margins in the electoral college, barely eking out a win in Mississippi.

That isn't happening though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:03 AM »

Not sure if it will be close but they will win Mississippi if its John Bel Edwards and Sherrod Brown vs. Mia Love and Carl DeMaio

Just like that White South Carolina Democrat beat Black Tim Scott, right?

I'm pretty sure Tim Scott's Senate opponents were both black.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »

Not sure if it will be close but they will win Mississippi if its John Bel Edwards and Sherrod Brown vs. Mia Love and Carl DeMaio

Just like that White South Carolina Democrat beat Black Tim Scott, right?

I'm pretty sure Tim Scott's Senate opponents were both black.

My bad, you are right!  I was thinking of that Sheheen guy or whatever, but he was running for governor ("Let's send Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from!" as the SC Democratic attendees burst into applause, honoring their local party's history quite well Tongue).

Still, despite some conspiracy theories, a SC GOP primary electorate nominated him, yes?

Yes, but he was originally appointed and faced only token primary opposition.

That said I agree with your overall point that South Carolinians, while often racist, are not so horribly racist that they'd abandon their party loyalty and ideology to avoid voting for a black person.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies