Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:31:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not finished: Trump reportedly raised at least $11 million since Tuesday  (Read 1353 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: June 23, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »

I think he said in the primaries he wont take money until the GE.
That is correct.

Not really. Many times in the primaries he bragged about self-funding and never mentioned exceptions to that. The whole point was to convince voters that his entire campaign was self-funded and that he couldn't be bought. His implications were obvious and just because he occasionally threw in "just for the primary" doesn't mean anything. It's obvious what he was trying to get voters to believe.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 03:50:48 PM »

He was pretty clear about the need for funding for the GE when asked in a number of debates. I remember Trump explicitly saying that he would not need money for the primary, but would take it from the party for the general.

What, after many months of blasting politicians who take money from donors and calling them bought and paid for? So his intention was to say he would only turn into a bought-and-paid-for scumbag politician once the primary was over? He did not start out his campaign telling everyone "I'm self-funding, but only for the primary", no, he just said "self-funding" and continued to lay into politicians who take money, labeling them in so many words as corrupt. Only after he gained traction and spent time drilling it into supporters heads that he was self-funding did he begin to introduce these caveats, and even then there were still times where he only said self-funding and nothing more.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/469588-donald-trump-keeps-saying-his-campaign-is-self-funded-but-that-is-just-not-true/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look at that quote from Lewandowski. Who is going to derive "only the primary" from that? Not the average Trump supporter for sure. These kinds of statements from Trump and his surrogates continued on and on and on.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/688829594472939520

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What on earth do you think people will derive from that tweet? That Trump supporters all somehow know he's self-funding only the primary? No. They just remember that he's self-funding because these kinds of misleading statements have been used by him, surrogates and campaign staff since he started. Trump does this with everything - He makes some sort of promise or proposal, then he backtracks or introduces caveats later on after people already believe he is doing what he originally said. Nothing is set in stone for him and people are led to believe in one thing while he does another.

This is bs and I'm sick and tired of his supporters going around, raising their finger with their eyes shut and saying "Oh, but you forgot, he said this and that, so that's wrong". Well guess what, he says this and that all day long, flip-flopping so many times that no one knows where he stands. He spends months convincing people he'll do something, then begins flip-flopping after he sees his supporters associate him with what he originally promised.

It's pretty clear what he wanted his supporters to think. He wanted them to believe he was self-funding his entire campaign, not just his primary campaign.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 04:20:04 PM by Virginia »

How many Republican debates did you watch, Virginia. I saw pretty much all of them except the one Trump wasn't in and one other. Trust me, he was explicit about what he needed to do for the general.

These are pretty much small dollar donations from non-special interests right now.

Omg stop with the debates. I don't care if he slipped it in there and I never said he didn't. I said that he only later began introducing these exceptions and caveats to his self-funding scheme. He goes around the country ranting in front of thousands of people time after time and has his staff/supporters on news shows saying completely different things. He intentionally mislead people and I articulated my point in my last post. Trump intentionally mislead people into thinking he would self-fund his entire presidential campaign. Most of his supporters do not pay as much attention to this stuff as you do.

We're just going in circles now. Believe what you want to believe, but the general consensus among most supporters has never been "oh, only self-funding for the primary!", unless you're talking about the consensus of Trump supporters who intensely follow his campaign.

I watched almost all of them myself, and I don't recall hearing what you are saying Trump said. What I took away from those debates is that he is self-funding his campaign. Period.

This is basically what I'm saying, except for his entire campaign. Sometimes he said he was only self-funding the primary, but that was later on, and most of the time he only said he was self-funding, and nothing more. This led people to believe he was self-funding the entire thing. It doesn't matter if he later began saying "only for the primary", he already created a narrative and people already bought into it.

He does this crap for everything. Seriously? doesn't get what I'm saying. He seems to think that because Trump began saying he'd only fund his primary campaign, that it somehow erases the fact that he told millions of supporters previously that he would self-fund, with no exceptions. Every time he mentioned self-funding, he didn't always throw in "only for the primary". That is an important distinction.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »

I agree. I gave Obama money in '08 but I won't give Hillary money this time, given how wealthy she is. I would only consider it if she used a significant fraction of her own money and still needed more. Giving Trump money is on a whole other level, especially with how much he brags about his wealth.

Bill and Hillary Clinton's estimated net worth is $111 million dollars. That is not even close to enough to finance a serious presidential campaign. Even if she used up all her money, which is an insanely unreasonable expectation, it wouldn't even come close to being enough. Further, net worth estimates aren't representative of their liquid assets, or in other words, it doesn't mean they have 111 million dollars ready to spend, though to be fair much more of their net worth is probably liquid compared to say, the Donald.

They need substantial donations just as much as the next candidate. Trump could actually sell property to finance his campaign (which he most likely won't), but the Clinton family has no such means.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »

But what I'm saying is if you have 100 million dollars and want a billion, I don't want to help out with my $30 until help out with your $30 million, or something pretty substantial. If she wants to hold on to her fortune and hope the money still flows into the campaign, yeah that's fine. People can do whatever they want with their money. But I don't want to give a millionaire money if they're not spending any of their own.

That's fair I suppose. I wouldn't doubt that she puts some of her own money into this at some point, but I do seriously doubt it would be as much as 30 million.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »

What did they manufacture to get so rich?  What goods or services did they provide to be 1/10th of the way onto being billionaires?

Seems they have made more:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2015/10/13/how-the-clintons-made-more-than-230-million-after-leaving-the-white-house/#7535e08b791e

And it happened all the while Hillary, herself was holding public office, elective or appointive.

To be fair, the bulk of that net worth figure is from Bill, who is free to give speeches and write books or whatever else.

I've not been one to pick the Clintons to death on this issue, but $111 million dollars is a lot of Green Stamps for someone who was financially under water less than 20 years ago.

It is a lot (in my eyes), but I am pretty sure many people have made more money in less time in modern American history.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies