Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:15:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Huntsman: Earth not flat; Christie: Sun does not revolve around Earth  (Read 11180 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »

Genesis 1 can fit in with an evolutionist view (i.e. the water teeming with life was bacteria; the animals Adam no longer enjoyed and felt lonely with before God made Eve were the apes).  Genesis 2 is the weird one.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »

Just curious, where does your apparantly creationist view cross with the Earth being billions of years old?

on what grounds would my creationist views be in conflict with any age of the earth greater than 6000 years?

Well, let me answer that question with a question: Approximately how long ago do you asciribe the---let's say "appearance"--of humankind?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:32 PM »

Approximately how long ago do you asciribe the---let's say "appearance"--of humankind?

from a creation standpoint, at least 6000 years....but 6 trillion years works also from a creation standpoint, as does 600 quadrillion years
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »

Genesis 1 can fit in with an evolutionist view (i.e. the water teeming with life was bacteria; the animals Adam no longer enjoyed and felt lonely with before God made Eve were the apes).  Genesis 2 is the weird one.

dude, just go to bed
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »

Badger, is not having a point just part of your charm, or do you intend to get some place with your line of questioning?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »

ag, then how many millions of generations are required for vertical evolution?

The term "vertical evolution" is about as meaningless as it gets. There was nothing "vertical" in the process that created you from a fish.

The statement that only bacteria evolve from bacteria is true tautologically: by a definition given by biologists, ANYTHING that evolves from a bacteria can only be a bacteria (like anything that evolves from an animal can only be an animal - this is a definition, inherent in classifications made up by humans).  

Bacteria are extremely diverse. From a standpoint of a biologist, the difference between different types of bacteria (e.g., between the chlamydia and the spirochete that causes syphilis) might be bigger, than between you and an oak: in both cases we are talking, at the very least, about different phyla. In comparison, you and a worm in your garden or a shrimp you ate for dinner are close cousins.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »

ag, pick any organism you want, single cell or multicell,  and run it through however many generations you want to run it through...let me know when it becomes something else
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:26 PM »

Badger, is not having a point just part of your charm, or do you intend to get some place with your line of questioning?

Sorry I wasn't sitting raptly awaiting your next nugget of wisdom.

One point I have to start  is how you don't find conflict between the Genesis version of God creating the world and all its organisms in seven days vs. the world being billions of years old and mankind only 6000+ years old.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:05 PM »

Badger, you are aware that individual words have multiple meanings right?

also, the sun and moon were created until the 4th day (or was it the 3rd?), so the days before had nothing to do with timint the position of the sun in the sky..

...and the 7th day was an ETERNAL day, as interpreted by none other than the bible itself...meaning, the biblical interpretation of the duration of the 7th day is eternity and that interpretatoin is explicitly give and is not questionable

so, the lengths of the days were anywhere from undefined to eternal, or a mix of undefined and eternal
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:59 PM »

ag, pick any organism you want, single cell or multicell,  and run it through however many generations you want to run it through...let me know when it becomes something else

Well, let's just run one generation. You are not the same thing as your mother. Enough?

Every question you ask just makes one doubt: did you really graduate from high school? Or was it that sciences were not required wherever you grew up?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2011, 11:52:28 PM »

Well, let's just run one generation. You are not the same thing as your mother. Enough?

Every question you ask just makes one doubt: did you really graduate from high school? Or was it that sciences were not required wherever you grew up?
correct me if I am wrong, but evolution states that somewhere along the line life formed and evolved into more complex organisms....I do have that part correct, that is the theory, right?  then form as many experiments that you'd like and see if an organism becomes more complex over time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »

Badger, you are aware that individual words have multiple meanings right?

also, the sun and moon were created until the 4th day (or was it the 3rd?), so the days before had nothing to do with timint the position of the sun in the sky..

...and the 7th day was an ETERNAL day, as interpreted by none other than the bible itself...meaning, the biblical interpretation of the duration of the 7th day is eternity and that interpretatoin is explicitly give and is not questionable

so, the lengths of the days were anywhere from undefined to eternal, or a mix of undefined and eternal

So we agree ascribing a "day" to God as the equivilent of 24 hours on earth is hubris and doesn't discount The Creation and Darwinism going hand in hand.

So how do you jive that with Genesis's account of God creating the many creatures of Earth essentially out of the firmament from scratch. Unless you are saying he created the animals in multiple "waves" to constitute each "day".
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »

actually, Genesis doesnt say whether there was a process, or whether things just came into being with a poof...the creation account is both timeless and process-undefined...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »

actually, Genesis doesnt say whether there was a process, or whether things just came into being with a poof...the creation account is both timeless and process-undefined...

So your problem with evolution is....?

And you would consider yourself a Creationist how.....?

Off to bed; I'll read your response in the morning.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2011, 12:02:17 AM »

jmfcst, what position are you advocating here?  I can't really tell.  

Although, I really don't care much either.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »

that God created the entire universe with purpose and design....but the timetable and processes (if any) he used to do so are not defined in the bible.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »

correct me if I am wrong, but evolution states that somewhere along the line life formed and evolved into more complex organisms....I do have that part correct, that is the theory, right?  then form as many experiments that you'd like and see if an organism becomes more complex over time.

Evolution is direcitonless: it can lead to more complex organisms, or to simpler ones, depending on what's better suiting the environment. There isn't even much of an agreement on what's more complex: for one, a chimp is no less complex than a human.  In fact, considering that we've been separate lineages for a few million years, we are remarkably similar with chimps: if we were bacteria, scientists would, probably, need genetic tests to even tell us apart.

In any case, if a bacteria were to develop so much as a cell nucleus, it would be orders of magnitutde more shocking and harder to accommodate within our current theories of evolution than the joint second coming and public gay marriage of Jesus Christ and the Flying Spaghetti Monster would be for you Smiley))
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »

that God created the entire universe with purpose and design....but the timetable and processes (if any) he used to do so are not defined in the bible.

So you are a typical evolutionist like most people (myself included) who accept evolution via natural selection to have been the building block of of our zoology, but realizes holding so doesn't discount the existance of God one whit because who can't say Evolution was God's tool of creation?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »

Evolution is direcitonless: it can lead to more complex organisms, or to simpler ones, depending on what's better suiting the environment. There isn't even much of an agreement on what's more complex: for one, a chimp is no less complex than a human.  In fact, considering that we've been separate lineages for a few million years, we are remarkably similar with chimps: if we were bacteria, scientists would, probably, need genetic tests to even tell us apart.

In any case, if a bacteria were to develop so much as a cell nucleus, it would be orders of magnitutde more shocking and harder to accommodate within our current theories of evolution than the joint second coming and public gay marriage of Jesus Christ and the Flying Spaghetti Monster would be for you Smiley))
dude, just make something change from one thing to another, doesnt matter if it is up or down
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »

So you are a typical evolutionist like most people (myself included) who accept evolution via natural selection to have been the building block of of our zoology...

no, too many endless opportunities for God to intervene...cant claim it was through natural process.  to claim such a thing is extremely presumptuous.

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2011, 12:21:09 AM »

dude, just make something change from one thing to another, doesnt matter if it is up or down

I've given you a perfect example: you are not your own mother - we got change in just one generation Smiley) It's the rightly idiotic answer to an idiotic request. Until and unless you mange to formulate a question that makes sense, I don't think you should get any other answer.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »

correct me if I am wrong, but evolution states that somewhere along the line life formed and evolved into more complex organisms....I do have that part correct, that is the theory, right?  then form as many experiments that you'd like and see if an organism becomes more complex over time.

How do you define "another" anyway? Animals change by discrete amounts in discrete aspects. It's not like a bacterium suddenly splits into two paramecia.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2011, 12:31:41 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2027558/Scientists-undo-evolution-create-chicken-maniraptora-snout.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »

well, yeah, if the lab monkeys jack with DNA, who knows what they could create.  I was referring to a natural process.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »

I've given you a perfect example: you are not your own mother
Yeah well, he certainly sounds more like his own mother than any girlfriend has a right to sound.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies