North Carolina (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:31:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  North Carolina (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 2435 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 03, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »

and 4 years of old racist people dying, it seems that Obama's chances there in 2012 aren't bad at all.

That seems like a rather general statement to me.  You seem to insinuate that only old people are racist.  Also, it seems that you assume "old racist" people are critical in North Carolina.  I'm not so sure this is the case, but if you have significant evidence to the contrary, I would be most appreciative to see it.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:06:54 PM »

He insinuated no such thing and you know it. Racist old people will die off quicker than racist young people. Use your head.

Significant evidence-- Jesse Helms

Which by definition means, racist young people will be the one's who further the divide between races for decades to come.  Maybe I'm being sensitive but, "4 years of old racist people dying" seems like a general statement.  Jesse Helms is a representation of what is wrong in North Carolina, yes.  However, the fact that the President beat Clinton in NC by a comfortable margin shows that there isn't a complete divide in the state.  I understand that racism exists in North Carolina, and yes, it exists among many seniors.  I'm just not convinced that this is the "end all be all" determining the elections.  I'm fairly certain that North Carolina has voted Republican based on the Popular vote until 2008, when the popular vote was in favor of the President.  African Americans make up what percentage there?  A little more than a fifth? 

For purposes of not confusing my intention; Yes, racism exists in North Carolina.  Racism exists everywhere I have ever been.  It's unfortunate that race divides Americans.  Yet, I don't think this is the deciding factor for an election in 2012.  The economy will be a deciding factor among the large MAJORITY of the populace.  Perhaps I'm naive but, this is my opinion. 
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2011, 03:08:02 PM by Cincinnatus »

Obama beat Clinton because of the strength of the black vote in the Democratic Party, just like he did in Strong Thurmond's state. I'm starting to think you're trolling.

Then I'll just cease my argument.  No point in me being less than cordial or arguing my point.  To address the original point (Which I admit, I failed to), I think the recent demographic shift will have some impact on the next election, albeit I don't think it will be significant.  The economy will be the biggest factor, and depending on where it is next year, the President will either face criticism because of it, or be the reason it rebounded to many people.  

http://www.270towin.com/states/North_Carolina

There has been a large increase in the minority population relative to the last census.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:57:10 PM »

I think the win in 08 was due to good campaigning by Obama. If the Republican candidate has any sense, and decides to campaign better than McCain did, the said person will win easily.

If the person has any personality that's appealing and enthusiastic he'll do better than McCain.  I give a lot of credit to the President's ability to campaign and speak publicly.  Not many people have that ability.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies