Do you think "robots are the future" rhetoric sounds a lot like...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 07:17:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think "robots are the future" rhetoric sounds a lot like...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you think "robots are the future" rhetoric sounds a lot like...  (Read 1512 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:47:07 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_History_and_the_Last_Man

?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 02:23:40 AM »

rhetoric?

also, do the people always worried about the future/technology sound a lot like proper link to wiki?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:13:18 AM »

rhetoric?

also, do the people always worried about the future/technology sound a lot like proper link to wiki?

I am never sure why this label is supposed to be an insult.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:04:48 AM »

Honestly as long as we don’t make robots into people we are good. Only when we decide to give them feelings, intellect, and desires will we be overthrown and a blip to history. I’m talking about being terminated btw.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 04:32:11 PM »

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. It seems to me futurologists basically believe Francis Fukuyama's notion of "liberal democracy" as an "end of history" except with robots added in.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »

rhetoric?

Because I don't want to live in a world where nothing progressed beyond 1815 and everyone dies of the flu when they're like 10.

Technology is good.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 03:44:03 AM »

Robots or the end of US will be long after our lifetime, but the inevitability of Death is going away and Lifespans are extended so we can see possibly the future,😁. Fatal disease is curable like instance of Jimmy Carter😀
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »

rhetoric?

Because I don't want to live in a world where nothing progressed beyond 1815 and everyone dies of the flu when they're like 10.

Technology is good.

The Luddites were wrong 200 years ago, but it doesn't mean that the idea is wrong in every time period. In a world where social media and clickbait are engineered to addict us and the tech manufacturers are focused on churning out endless little status symbols that otherwise don't merit their price tag, it is easy to see why someone would become skeptical of technology and where it is leading us.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »

rhetoric?

Technology is good.

The Luddites were wrong 200 years ago, but it doesn't mean that the idea is wrong in every time period. In a world where social media and clickbait are engineered to addict us and the tech manufacturers are focused on churning out endless little status symbols that otherwise don't merit their price tag, it is easy to see why someone would become skeptical of technology and where it is leading us.

I mean I like that social media stuff though. Is it really fair for people who don't like social media and technology to take it away from the rest of us?

That's like the logic a lot of people have of banning (insert thing) because (insert your religion) disagrees with it. I don't think that sort of thinking has much of a leg to stand on in a free society with a free market.

Also people who dislike modern technology are free to do without it if you want. The government isn't going to show up at your house and drag you off to a torture chamber for not having a Facebook account.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »

As someone that works in industrial robotics, the biggest gap in Robotics is plausible to economical.  A robot that "can" do something exists for lots of jobs.  Jobs that are practical for Robots are already the low hanging fruit.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »

As someone that works in industrial robotics, the biggest gap in Robotics is plausible to economical.  A robot that "can" do something exists for lots of jobs.  Jobs that are practical for Robots are already the low hanging fruit.

It won't really take off until we have our first "general purpose" robot that costs about as much as a new Hyundai Elantra.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies