The Truth We Won't Admit: Drinking Is Healthy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 10:33:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Truth We Won't Admit: Drinking Is Healthy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Truth We Won't Admit: Drinking Is Healthy  (Read 1885 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: September 01, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »

I wonder how much of health benefit is just the practice of relaxing with a drink.  Stress can really eat away at you and if you find a way to relax with a glass of wine, it's a great thing for your emotional well-being.  I would say the same thing about smoking marijuana too, especially if you can get decent weed.  That can really help you just calm down after a long day. 

In the same vein, I think everyone ought to try psychedelics at least once.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »

I wonder how much of health benefit is just the practice of relaxing with a drink.  Stress can really eat away at you and if you find a way to relax with a glass of wine, it's a great thing for your emotional well-being.  I would say the same thing about smoking marijuana too, especially if you can get decent weed.  That can really help you just calm down after a long day. 

In the same vein, I think everyone ought to try psychedelics at least once.

I relax by taking a 3 mile run, so I guess it really depends person-to-person what's best.

I think drinking in moderation is fine, but my opinion is a bit jaded of it due to having several blatantly drunk students come to my class.

A post-run beer would work even better though.  

And, I don't see why you need to bring up getting drunk.  That's a whole different kettle of fish.  I drink almost every day and I've been drunk maybe once in the past 2 years.  Some people can't do that, but that's a problem with addictive and immature behavior, not a problem with booze.

And on the other side of the coin, being a teetotaler is a real negative.  It's socially detrimental, you lose out on some fun youthful experiences, you lose out on the fun of experimenting with your brain.  It's really close-minded to go through life without even trying to experiment with altering your consciousness.   
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

And on the other side of the coin, being a teetotaler is a real negative.  It's socially detrimental, you lose out on some fun youthful experiences, you lose out on the fun of experimenting with your brain.  It's really close-minded to go through life without even trying to experiment with altering your consciousness.   

Y'know what's also socially detrimental? Losing scholarships or being arrested for underaged drinking. It's is a pretty big deal now with schools and the police ruining lives with this stuff. If I remember correctly, you're in your 20s, right? You should know how this goes.

Anyways, what's so great about altering your mind? It's possible to be a fun and interesting person without needing to get blackout drunk every weekend in a friend's basement.

Well, you ought to be careful drinking in high school.  But, no college student gets arrested for underage drinking.  I've never heard of such a thing.  Everyone drinks in college and nobody gets arrested for underage drinking.  Give me a break.

And again, drinking is not the same as binge drinking or drinking until you're blackout drunk.  It's possible to have fun on a Saturday and drink 4 or 5 beers or whatever. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies