SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:52:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)  (Read 1793 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:54:54 AM »

Honestly, I don't see how this kind of reform would fix any inherent problems. A permanent joint session wouldn't increase debate since that just depends on who gets elected and the subject matter of different pieces of legislation. I frankly don't think it's much of an issue to keep track of bills that pass the Senate and House, and this initiative just looks like sour grapes from a VP who doesn't want to do his job he got elected to. This also seems like a trojan horse to get Labor more on board with eventually abolishing the Senate if only because of anger and rage at the situation in real life politics which the game is really nothing like. As for gridlock, Labor has literally commanded a senate majority for every congress except 1 since the party reformed in Fall 2018 and the House for all but 1 (even if 1 more majority had to technically had to be stolen). So Labor clearly had a lot of time to pass an ambitious agenda which means that it won't make more policy pass.

In all, this just seems like a power grab just so our self-entitled leaders can be even lazier and just pass more dumb ideas without it being properly debated through our constitutional system of checks and balances. Just because there is a debate within the Labor party over this doesn't mean most of the rest of us have to agree with any of this resolution. There's nothing to sweeten the deal for this for me to agree to this either, which I am in theory open to. Any deal would have to abide by fair constitutional principles though.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 05:40:22 AM »

I frankly don't think it's much of an issue to keep track of bills that pass the Senate and House, and this initiative just looks like sour grapes from a VP who doesn't want to do his job he got elected to. This also seems like a trojan horse to get Labor more on board with eventually abolishing the Senate if only because of anger and rage at the situation in real life politics which the game is really nothing like.

Considering that unlike in real life, the Atlasia Senate map has long been to Labor's advantage, we'd have to be quite stupid to abolish the Senate based on partisan grounds don't you think? Huh
I mean your international perspective is more rational regarding this topic. Tongue
Guess what got removed by name in this proposal that didn't see the light of day even if the election methods remained the same. https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208051.msg7574663#msg7574663
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to: