SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:57:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: J.K. Sestak Congressional Reform Resolution (Passed)  (Read 1792 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: November 25, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
« edited: November 25, 2020, 05:31:26 AM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

I will agree with Scott and Yankee and say that the implementation would be rather hard. I am not opposed at all to a joint session for a particular objective if it is needed (like say, some sort of constitutional revision that needs to be heavily debated but not important enough for a constitutional convention?).

But the "permanent joint session" looks to me like a big mess waiting to happen.

I will however agree with the executive and say that bicameralism in Atlasia has probably failed at this point. I actually did a thread on this a while back and I defined several options moving forward, though none of them are super ideal.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=394667.msg7581236#msg7581236

My personal pick would be option E; which would lead to a Legislature of 18 members:

-9 elected like we currently elect the House
-6 elected like we currently elect the Senate
-3 appointed by the Regions

To compensate for the slight expansion I'd get rid of the VP and we might have to cut regional legislatures a bit (possibly having all 3 regions at 3 people?).

An assymetric unicameral legislature (9 at large + 6 regional) could also work but that will likely be vetoed by the Federalist members of Congress.

Alternatively we could shrink Congress instead and go with a 6+6 setup, with the remaining people going to the regional legislatures.

I frankly don't think it's much of an issue to keep track of bills that pass the Senate and House, and this initiative just looks like sour grapes from a VP who doesn't want to do his job he got elected to. This also seems like a trojan horse to get Labor more on board with eventually abolishing the Senate if only because of anger and rage at the situation in real life politics which the game is really nothing like.

Considering that unlike in real life, the Atlasia Senate map has long been to Labor's advantage, we'd have to be quite stupid to abolish the Senate based on partisan grounds don't you think? Huh
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:23:33 AM »

I do not think a sunset clause will make things easier. If anything, it will make things harder since we'll be operating under "permanent joint session" for a couple of months, then suddenly go back to the old system.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:52:05 AM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies