Pope calls for same sex 'civil union' laws. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:45:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope calls for same sex 'civil union' laws. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope calls for same sex 'civil union' laws.  (Read 2856 times)
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« on: October 21, 2020, 05:42:38 PM »

Good. But the peronist pope is still trash
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 03:12:46 AM »

I asked a Hispanophone friend and was told that "unión convivencial" and "unión civil" are both terms for civil union in Argentinian law. Presumably Edu can confirm or disconfirm this. My guess given this is that what Francis was doing here was confirming the open secret that this was his position during Argentina's SSM debate in 2009-2010, and saying that he still feels that was the correct approach.

I actually had no idea about this so I had to search for a bit. What I found is that "union convivencial" and "union civil" are actually slightly different things and obviously different from full fledged marriage.

The main difference between the 2 unions and marriage is that if you are married and die, your spouse will automatically inherit everything you have, while in the unions you have to specifically make a will to that effect.

Apparently the "unión convivencial" doesn't require it to be formally registered as the other two options (with witnesses and everything) which means that you can end the relationship just by saying so, no need for anyone else to intervene.
The "union civil" requires you to do some legal stuff to end the relationship but nothing major and marriage of course involes the courts.

Still not sure about the details and frakly I don't care to search for it now since it's 5 AM here and I'm a bit drunk lol but I'll ask my dad later if he can shed some more light.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies