To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.  (Read 8698 times)
elcorazon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »

Republicans won because we treat people with respect, unlike the Democrats who call others deplorables, and because we recognize the struggles of Americans, unlike the Democrats, who ignored large sectors of the American people, e.g. people in the rust belt, who Hillary virtually ignored.   
that's hilarious dude!
elcorazon

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:10 AM »

None of this actually matters because the changing demographics ensure that the Republicans are eventually doomed.
this is bullsh**t. The way the government is going, we will be lucky to ever see a democrat in the white house again. Trump is doing his best to shut down our government and no one seems to care.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:58 AM »

Republicans hate Democrats and Democrats hate Republicans. That's how it is.

Republicans, Democrats, Independents, should all learn even though we have our differences, we should all have respect for one another.

We are, after all, all members of the human race.

That includes urban people as well.

As well as Christian conservatives. Attacking the other party's base is politically beneficial because those people will never vote for you anyway and you can rally your own base in doing so. The mistake the Democrats made was not that they mocked other people, but that they mocked crucial swing voters and then acted shocked when those swing voters delivered the election to Donald Trump.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »

Did the Republicans disappear in 1936?

No.

There is a reason the Republicans now control the Presidency, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House, most of the Governorships, most of the state legislative houses, and are likely to set the agenda on the U.S. Supreme Court for a generation.

That is because the Democrats considered voters to be stupid, called them deplorable, took voters for granted, and ignored large segments of the electorate.

The Democrats fully deserve to be in the predicament in which they now find themselves.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:18 PM »

That is because the Democrats considered voters to be stupid, called them deplorable, took voters for granted, and ignored large segments of the electorate.
To be fair, the GOP establishment does most of these things in different ways.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »

No.

There is a reason the Republicans now control the Presidency, the U.S. Senate, the U.S. House, most of the Governorships, most of the state legislative houses, and are likely to set the agenda on the U.S. Supreme Court for a generation.

The Democrats fully deserve to be in the predicament in which they now find themselves.

Oh stop with that bs Hillary called Trump's hardcore supporters "deplorable" which most of them are plus RWers rip on liberal voters all the time
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:17 PM »

For:  Mondale Won 1 State

When you take into consideration that Mondale lost the 2002 Minnesota U.S. Senate election, that means that Mondale was the only candidate in the history of U.S. elections to have lost a statewide vote in all 50 states, because Reagan won the other 49 states in the Presidential election of 1984 against Mondale.  Smiley

You say this as if I'm some sort of liberal

I am actually simply pointing this interesting fact out, fully recognizing that you are no doubt aware of it already.

Whether you are liberal, conservative, moderate, I do not know, but I fully respect your right to be of whatever persuasion you so choose.
elcorazon

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:50 PM »

No.

I honestly think that is not a factor at all.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »

deplorables was maybe the weakest attack of the whole campaign, regarding personal level stuff, but i realized long ago that if you look for fairness or justice, politics isn't your field of work.

the demographics which are atm more closely related with the GOP are much easier to enrage/motivate and have far more sophisticated echo chambers, which is why democrats must be much more sensitive in many ways than most republicans.

simple truth.
elcorazon

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

deplorables was maybe the weakest attack of the whole campaign, regarding personal level stuff, but i realized long ago that if you look for fairness or justice, politics isn't your field of work.

the demographics which are atm more closely related with the GOP are much easier to enrage/motivate and have far more sophisticated echo chambers, which is why democrats must be much more sensitive in many ways than most republicans.

simple truth.
So you're saying that because the GOP are sensitive and because they control the media they take in so well, democrats have to be MORE sensitive than Republicans. I'm not sure I follow you.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Why do people call Trump supporters stupid and deplorable?  Because they are.  http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/trump-supporters-call-for-liberal-genocide-and-deportation-of-jews-at-arizona-rally/
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »

]So you're saying that because the GOP are sensitive and because they control the media they take in so well, democrats have to be MORE sensitive than Republicans. I'm not sure I follow you.

okay, again:

1) republican voters, especially primary/midterm-voters are much easier to enrage/motivate.

2) the republican echo-chamber is much better connected than the disperse democratic choice of information sources and is much better at capitalizing on outrage.

republicans say something potentially outrageous = diverse democratic base hears about it from different angles, according to their outlet of choice and is much less motivated to "do" something about it.

democrats say something potentially outrageous = more homogenous republican base hears about it mostly from a specific frame, all media from FOX NEWS down is driving and hyping it, and it easily lits up enough "fire" to change an election or two.

not academical but...just comparing how many twitter accounts embraced the deplorable thing and how few made a similar attempt with donald's many many many worse comments, shows you all you need to know.

democrats must be a looooooot more careful, especially on national level....as i said, this isn't about fairness, this is about the current political reality, imho.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:31 PM »

not helping. Tongue

The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 12:51:42 PM by The Arizonan »

Why do people call Trump supporters stupid and deplorable?  Because they are.  http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/trump-supporters-call-for-liberal-genocide-and-deportation-of-jews-at-arizona-rally/

The Trump supporters at that rally should be deported to Antarctica where they'll be free from anyone who is not a clone of themselves.
elcorazon

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:59 PM »

]So you're saying that because the GOP are sensitive and because they control the media they take in so well, democrats have to be MORE sensitive than Republicans. I'm not sure I follow you.

okay, again:

1) republican voters, especially primary/midterm-voters are much easier to enrage/motivate.

2) the republican echo-chamber is much better connected than the disperse democratic choice of information sources and is much better at capitalizing on outrage.

republicans say something potentially outrageous = diverse democratic base hears about it from different angles, according to their outlet of choice and is much less motivated to "do" something about it.

democrats say something potentially outrageous = more homogenous republican base hears about it mostly from a specific frame, all media from FOX NEWS down is driving and hyping it, and it easily lits up enough "fire" to change an election or two.

not academical but...just comparing how many twitter accounts embraced the deplorable thing and how few made a similar attempt with donald's many many many worse comments, shows you all you need to know.

democrats must be a looooooot more careful, especially on national level....as i said, this isn't about fairness, this is about the current political reality, imho.
I guess there's something to that, but I don't really think it matters for regular Joe's like me. That would be justification for Hillary not saying half of Trump's supporters are part of a basket of deplorables, regardless of it's truth, but I'm not really sure how my random truth telling impacts this. I don't think the new meme from breitbart is going to be a response to my analysis.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »

I guess there's something to that, but I don't really think it matters for regular Joe's like me. That would be justification for Hillary not saying half of Trump's supporters are part of a basket of deplorables, regardless of it's truth, but I'm not really sure how my random truth telling impacts this. I don't think the new meme from breitbart is going to be a response to my analysis.

you are absolutely right, i didn't try to make THAT kind of comment, just talking about officials, elected or not.

well, the game is going to be changed anyway when the boomers are gone.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »

Oh yes, this is quite true. The problem is a liberal looks at Pruitt saying global warming isn't real, and thinks "Anyone who believes him must be stupid", when in fact, their support of him is just code for "I don't want environmentalism ruining my economy," or "I don't care if Florida is underwater in 200 years" or something like that. It's not so much a matter of stupidity as a difference in values and priorities. Which can be engaged upon. But if you assume they're stupid right off the bat, you won't engage.

Global warming is already destroying the economy:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/sep/26/climate-change-damaging-global-economy
You must be logged in to read this quote.

And Florida is sinking *now*.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/04/science/flooding-of-coast-caused-by-global-warming-has-already-begun.html
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pretending pi is 3 is not a  difference "in values and priorities" it's the difference in whether or not your buildings fall down.
All the better a reason to vote for Trump-if global warming turns my parent's house into an oceanfront rather than intracoastal front home, my grandchildren will be rich.

Is this a serious comment? How many meters from sea level is your parents' house located?
What do you think?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:31 PM »

I've never met an intelligent racist.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »

The internet must be made a safe space for white conservatives!

I agree that Democratic leaders and major public figures should refrain from coming off as elitist or condescending. But I don't think conservatives being made fun of on the internet is the reason Trump won, and if it is then I don't care. This is a group, after all, that made "F**k Your Feelings" a political slogan.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 02:15:40 PM »

Typical Democrat tactic, pathetically attempting to paint the Republican Party and Trump supporters with the same brush as a few kooks.

May I remind you that 99.99% of the people who voted for Trump are everyday Americans, honest, hard working, tax paying people, who want jobs, and are sick of the establishment calling the shots.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 02:20:30 PM »

Typical Democrat tactic, pathetically attempting to paint the Republican Party and Trump supporters with the same brush as a few kooks.

May I remind you that 99.99% of the people who voted for Trump are everyday Americans, honest, hard working, tax paying people, who want jobs, and are sick of the establishment calling the shots.

It is not 99.99% when 40% of republicans believe Obama is a Muslim, when the number of hate groups tripled under Obama, an the new republican president ran on building a wall across the Mexican border, banning Muslims, and is openly beloved by skinheads then it is not a small fringe
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »

I've never met an intelligent racist.

there are MAAAAAAAAAAANY.....they are just normally not very decent persons.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »

This is a group, after all, that made "F**k Your Feelings" a political slogan.

i don't think we need to point out, that this is ofc major BS, even while some students are real snowflakes....but contrary to the republican boomers, they are ALL SHOUTING - no action.

The real difference usually only is hooked to the question, WHAT you offended about.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »

Too late.

The Democrats are so incompetent, morally bankrupt, and lacking of vision that we are becoming a one-party state ruled by the Republicans as the Democrats keep losing record numbers of seats.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

Too late.

The Democrats are so incompetent, morally bankrupt, and lacking of vision that we are becoming a one-party state ruled by the Republicans as the Democrats keep losing record numbers of seats.

wanna bet that "trend" will be kind of...eh.... stopped 2018, outside of the senate?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies