DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:44:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 270107 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: January 06, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »

WTF is wrong with these people.  Good God, this is sad and embarrassing.  I hope they all wind up in jail.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 04:21:18 PM »

WTF is wrong with these people.  Good God, this is sad and embarrassing.  I hope they all wind up in jail.

Dude, this is your party. You tell me.

Are you under the impression that I somehow control the actions of these people because I'm a registered Republican in Johnson County, IA and vote in its caucuses and primaries?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:24:25 PM »

I have a feeling Trump is going to resign or be removed from office.

I mean, I want to believe...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:25:52 PM »

No compromise, no surrender, no forgiveness, and no trials. These fascist traitors have enunciated that they want no part of the United States. It is only right and just that true Americans stand up for the law and the Constitution.

You had me until the last part. The whole point is to fight for the Constitution which means--you know--actually following it.
“American” and “fascist” are antonyms. You can be either one or the other. They threw away their rights and their citizenship when they try this sh**t.

That isn't how laws work.

It absolutely is for enemy soldiers and members of terrorist organizations, even those possessing American citizenship. In some situations, people aren't entitled to a trial. Arguably, this is starting to approach one of those situations.  

Actually agreed ... this more or less constitutes an armed attack on the American government.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:59:41 PM »

Good.  They won't win any friends across the aisle, because they can never change the facts that A) they were Trump supporters and B) are still Republicans, but former Trump-supporting GOP officials CAN help the nation get back on track by fully denouncing not only these riots (DUH) but also Trump's instigation.  Publicly and loudly.  The more the better.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:44 PM »

Probably a naďve hope, but I really hope a slew of Republicans come forward and denounce this on a MUCH deeper level than the violence.  It HAS to be recognized that Donald Trump, in a position of almost unlimited power and influence, has literally encouraged this type of despicable behavior.  If I'm a Republican politician, I'm frankly no longer worried about the "Trumpist base" primarying me or whatever.  This is beyond the pale.  If you are worried about having to explain why you condemned THIS of all things in 2-4 years, you're insane.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 06:10:52 PM »

Keep the anti Christian rhetoric out of it.

Amen.  The incoming President who represents an alternative to President Trump is a Christian, as is one of the newly elected Democratic Senator who helped flip the Senate.

Not to mention, TENS of MILLIONS of law-abiding Americans who are sitting at home horrified by this, among them tens of millions of Democrats, liberals and Joe Biden voters.  Classless to take it there.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 06:16:53 PM »

Amen.  The incoming President who represents an alternative to President Trump is a Christian, as is one of the newly elected Democratic Senator who helped flip the Senate.

Not to mention, TENS of MILLIONS of law-abiding Americans who are sitting at home horrified by this, among them tens of millions of Democrats, liberals and Joe Biden voters.  Classless to take it there.

If the so-called "Christians" who stormed the Capitol today had actually read their Bibles, they might recall Jesus refusing to lead an armed uprising against the governing authorities even when his own disciples begged him to fight. Blasphemers and heretics, all of them.

I couldn't agree more, making the disappointing turn into Christian bashing in this thread all the more unfortunate.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:19:16 PM »

If the so-called "Christians" who stormed the Capitol today had actually read their Bibles, they might recall Jesus refusing to lead an armed uprising against the governing authorities even when his own disciples begged him to fight. Blasphemers and heretics, all of them.

Careful — we're evidently not allowed to criticize white evangelical Christians, the single largest bloc of Trump supporters.

As you yourself said, ~20% of White Evangelicals bear absolutely zero responsibility for this whatsoever.  So, it should be pretty easy to keep condemning selective to Trump supporters and enablers, if not solely to the criminals currently causing unrest themselves.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »

lol 30% of Republicans think they're patriots.

Very alarming, but I was happy to see 71% also called them criminals, extremists or worse.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 10:50:23 PM »

Removing him would be looked back on, in fifty years, as the best thing to ever happen to heal this nation.  And, from a purely political perspective, it would be the start of the climb out of the pit for the GOP.

Do it!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 11:00:31 PM »

I want to say that if Republican party leaders are smart, they would remove Trump via impeachment to permanently keep him from screwing with the party anymore, but the fact is, the GOP base has completely lost their sanity and removing the person they worship more than God himself would probably hurt the party noticeably more than just letting him continue taking a wrecking ball to the country for 2 more weeks.

Let's face facts here, Trump didn't storm the Capitol himself, his ignorant horde of supporters did, because Trump encouraged them and spent >2 months claiming without proof that the election was "stolen" from him, and virtually the entire Republican Party base believed him, with, again, zero proof whatsoever, and tried to violently end the electoral vote certification based on this.

If Republicans want to fix their party, they should burn it to the ground and start from scratch.

Burning it to the ground, which is certainly the move at this point, IS impeaching Donald Trump and IS what would hurt the party the least, even in the short term.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 11:58:16 PM »

Cops went HARD on the MAGAs tonight lmao

Who's for law and order now?

Me. Unruly “protestors” who get violent have nothing but the long dlck of the law to look forward to, no matter what they’re “protesting.”  Glad these fools got what was coming.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies