WV-gov: Who wins in November? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 01:07:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-gov: Who wins in November? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Justice (D)

Cole (R)

Other (?)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: WV-gov: Who wins in November?  (Read 1694 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« on: May 11, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »

Appalachia's reaction to Obama has been largely based on race. While the GOP has made in-roads in State Legislature, if Justice can distance himself from the national party, he might make it. I'm not sure why so many people here think he will be crushed.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:18:43 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2016, 03:30:23 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Appalachia's reaction to Obama has been largely based on race. While the GOP has made in-roads in State Legislature, if Justice can distance himself from the national party, he might make it. I'm not sure why so many people here think he will be crushed.
It's not race, it is the loss of jobs as a result of the Democratic platform. When the state's only major industry is Coal mining and their own party starts to oppose it, they vote against it. The same exact thing happened in western PA (not Pennsyltucky land too). Also, Al Gore.
It's race, at least in part. John Kerry outdid Obama in Appalachia, despite Obama having the better policies for the working class. To say nothing about the difference in field operation.

This trend extends beyond WV--though Keith Judd shows it's worst there, which is unsurprising, given it is the only state to be solely withing the region--and into OH as well, where Obama won. It'd take some further research, but I'd be unsurprised if the trend carried over into NC and other states as well.

I am unsure what you're getting at with your Al Gore comment.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »

It's not race, it is the loss of jobs as a result of the Democratic platform. When the state's only major industry is Coal mining and their own party starts to oppose it, they vote against it. The same exact thing happened in western PA (not Pennsyltucky land too). Also, Al Gore.
It's race, at least in part. John Kerry outdid Obama in Appalachia, despite Obama having the better policies for the working class. To say nothing about the difference in field operation.

This trend extends beyond WV--though Keith Judd shows it's worst there, which is unsurprising, given it is the only state to be solely withing the region--and into OH as well, where Obama won. It'd take some further research, but I'd be unsurprised if the trend carried over into NC and other states as well.

I am unsure what you're getting at with your Al Gore comment.
Al Gore was the first Democrat to lose West Virginia outside of the landslides of 56, 72, and 84. He also is one of America's most vocal environmentalist and a Kyoto Protocol supporter when he ran.
Okay. That doesn't particularly run counter to anything I've said. I never said it was all racial, only that it was a factor, especially when you look at Applachia's reaction to Obama specifically--as opposed to Gore or Kerry. If white democrats underperform Obama in 2020 and 2024, I will retract that statement.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies