The Atlasian Cynic: Unbalanced and Cynical News and Opinions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:31:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Cynic: Unbalanced and Cynical News and Opinions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasian Cynic: Unbalanced and Cynical News and Opinions  (Read 1405 times)
Hamster
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:57:49 PM »

A Blow To Atlasian Proportional Representation[

The Atlasian Cynic, after a brief hiatus, is returning with an article expressing the traditional doom and gloom that we've been known and widely read for. The current Presidential election, which we feel puts forward two excellent candidates for the job, still in the end, only has two candidates. The fewest in recent memory and perhaps ever (though I would have to read up on that). Taking time away from our crusade to restart Atlasia, we feel that we should point out that this Presidential election has gone from an exciting, multi-candidate race to an affair where preference voting, the long established Atlasia tradition, means nothing.

Want more proof that things are in bad shape? In the Pacific Senate race, there is no contest at all and in the others there are several two way races at various levels of competitiveness. Our grand tradition of PR is being kicked in the balls this election season. All the races will be decided in a manner of first-past-the-post. I don't know if that has ever happened in an election cycle before. Either way, it's bad news. Why? Who cares? Well, we do, for one. In order to foster competition and activity, when Atlasia was founded, it was on the principle of PR that our elections were to be fought. Preference voting is certainly the fairest system we could have come up with in order to have interesting, multi-candidate races. Now, we don't. What can we do about this? It all comes back to activity and reforming the whole structure. This paper loathes to sound like the Atlasian Pessimist, but the warning signs are there in front of us. Woe be to ye who ignore them!

I'll run for something. So long as there's no chance of me winning (which should be all the races).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies