Is the Republican party a racist party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:10:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the Republican party a racist party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is the Republican party a racist party?  (Read 3562 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

I'm not sure. I don't think most Republicans are racist, although most racists now do find a home in the Republican Party. It's not a coincidence that the Civil Rights Act was passed and Southern whites began switching en masse to the Republican Party, most notably Strom Thurmond in 1964. Although it has taken a few decades, the realignment of Southern whites to the Republican Party appears complete. With perhaps the exception of a favourite son in 1976, the party that has dominated the Deep South has been the home of racists.

I haven't seen a linear regression of it (and maybe I might make one), but I would note the strong correlation between a state's black population and the share of whites that vote Republican (two of the most black states, MS and AL, have whites voting 85-90% Republican).

Over time though, racism had become less overt and more subtle in terms of messaging. A large part of it now expresses itself in a xenophobic anti-immigrant voice. However, there are more traditional racist elements that express  themselves in the more traditional way of attempting to deny minority voting rights. Voter ID, racial gerrymandering, and felony disenfranchisement are just a few of the major ways it's accomplished. And of course, there's also the refusal to accept the legitimacy of President Obama or even the fact that he's an American citizen.

As far as the Republican Establishment goes, I don't think it is overtly racist, but I do think they condone it and accept it within their party (short of Donald Trump, of course). They condone it so long as it is politically expedient (i.e. more subtle and low-key). Whereas the Establishment may condone or even accept policies that are racist in application, they generally fear the overt xenophobic, racist, anti-immigrant, birtherist, nationalistic voices within their party that has taken form as the Trump candidacy.

I'm just elaborating on my thoughts and not making any conclusions right now, but I'm becoming more inclined to answer in the affirmative. If the Republican Party becomes what Donald Trump is espousing, I think my inclinations would be confirmed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies