Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:41:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16
Author Topic: Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid  (Read 21946 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: November 02, 2021, 10:13:51 PM »

That's right. Everything we don't like is a Republican.

Kinda like how everything you don't like is anti-Semitic, except this is based on reality (Republicans backing Brown) and not your own paranoid delusions.

My lord, dude. Cope.

Go back to being a Republican, there's no point pretending to be a Dem anymore. You're probably cheering on Ciatarelli too.

You and your ilk are certainly doing your best to send me back! But no, a whole lot of fumigating left to do in that party before I'd even consider it. The Dems are doing a much better job of sending their antisemitic fringe freak candidates back to the barn.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #351 on: November 02, 2021, 10:20:14 PM »

That's right. Everything we don't like is a Republican.

Kinda like how everything you don't like is anti-Semitic, except this is based on reality (Republicans backing Brown) and not your own paranoid delusions.

My lord, dude. Cope.

Go back to being a Republican, there's no point pretending to be a Dem anymore. You're probably cheering on Ciatarelli too.

You and your ilk are certainly doing your best to send me back! But no, a whole lot of fumigating left to do in that party before I'd even consider it. The Dems are doing a much better job of sending their antisemitic fringe freak candidates back to the barn.

Lol, you're as single minded as Fuzzy Bear. Anti-Semites here! Anti-Semites there! Anti-Semites in my soup. Your politics have nothing to do with reality, and honestly toxic people like you are the reason Democrats are getting slaughtered across the board. It's not even about politics. Plenty of people are center-left Dems and are reasonable, seeking party unity. People like you and Macaroni care more about the pet issues that occupy 90% of your otherwise not-particularly full minds, and owning the left matters more than beating Republicans, even if the candidate you exult (like Brown) happens to be under investigation for corruption and has been a certifiable failure as a mayor.
Unbeatable Titan Susan Collins
johnzaharoff

« Reply #352 on: November 02, 2021, 10:25:35 PM »

Great political instincts shown by Majority leader Schumer  here
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: November 02, 2021, 10:26:27 PM »

People like Byron Brown are what keeps the Democrats back from serving the public and be seen as a worthwhile alternative from the Republicans. The Democratic leadership would rather hold hands with Republicans rather than aid poor renters and working families at-large.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #354 on: November 02, 2021, 10:34:58 PM »

What do you mean? He, like any good party leader, supported his party's nominee.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #355 on: November 02, 2021, 10:42:47 PM »

The "Republicans backed the moderate therefore he's a Republican" argument gets used in so many races and it's always such a weak argument.  In any race with two candidates separated by a clear ideological line, both candidates are going to claim everyone on their side of that line.  In this race, where it was Dem-vs-Dem, Brown carried everyone to the right of the line, which included many Republicans (not that there are very many in Buffalo).

It's the same way here in Seattle.  All twenty Republicans in Seattle are backing Bruce Harrell because he's closer to them than Lorena Gonzalez.  That doesn't make him a Republican.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #356 on: November 02, 2021, 10:46:18 PM »

Schumer and Gillibrand's late-game endorsements might not look good right now, but they were pretty clearly just cursory endorsements of the party's nominee at a time when it looked like she was already dead in the water. I don't have any problem with it, although I suspect we might get to the point where the party establishment truly goes to war with the DemSocs if they start trying to take down Senators, for instance.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #357 on: November 02, 2021, 11:28:51 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2021, 11:32:01 PM by Your Vote Is A Muscle »

Like it's not even like Walton was a bad candidate or ran a bad campaign. Brown just woke up after getting caught asleep at the wheel and used his incumbency to his advantage.

She has a bright future in local politics and I'm excited to see where this takes her.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2021, 12:04:57 AM »

People like Byron Brown are what keeps the Democrats back from serving the public and be seen as a worthwhile alternative from the Republicans. The Democratic leadership would rather hold hands with Republicans rather than aid poor renters and working families at-large.

London Breed also targeted Republicans and bragged about George Schultz's endorsement. There are a lot of these garbage Democrats.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #359 on: November 03, 2021, 12:09:43 AM »

Like it's not even like Walton was a bad candidate or ran a bad campaign. Brown just woke up after getting caught asleep at the wheel and used his incumbency to his advantage.

She has a bright future in local politics and I'm excited to see where this takes her.

Yeah, this reminds me a bit of Tiffany Caban, who was just elected to the NY City Council, I think.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2021, 12:17:55 AM »

iF DeMs NoMiNaTeD a TRUE PROGRESSIVE™ iN ViRgiNiA, ThEy WoULd HaVe WoN!!!

You're right. An entrenched machine candidate who can turn out the vote would have won in Virg...

Oh.

But a Sanders clone would've done better, not likely considerably worse?

"Something something neoliberal something something DLC Clinton hack".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #361 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:32 AM »

What do you mean? He, like any good party leader, supported his party's nominee.

Is furthermore, how much did he really do beyond issuing a press release?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #362 on: November 03, 2021, 12:51:42 AM »

You're right. An entrenched machine candidate who can turn out the vote would have won in Virg...

Oh.

Generally anyone who would have campaigned on a cohesive vision besides "Youngkin is Literally Trump". I saw the same playbook get rolled out in my state and we lost our State House majorities because of it. We have anti-vaxxers dictating COVID policy in New Hampshire because Democrats didn't articulate anything besides anti-Trumpism.

Maybe Lee Carter wouldn't have won, but I'm thinking someone like a Tom Perriello. JFC, one of the Lincoln Project goons probably would have done better than McAuliffe because they wouldn't have gotten complacent and allowed Youngkin to get the jump!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #363 on: November 03, 2021, 02:26:36 AM »

The "Republicans backed the moderate therefore he's a Republican" argument gets used in so many races and it's always such a weak argument.  In any race with two candidates separated by a clear ideological line, both candidates are going to claim everyone on their side of that line.  In this race, where it was Dem-vs-Dem, Brown carried everyone to the right of the line, which included many Republicans (not that there are very many in Buffalo).

It's the same way here in Seattle.  All twenty Republicans in Seattle are backing Bruce Harrell because he's closer to them than Lorena Gonzalez.  That doesn't make him a Republican.

You would not be sayi g the same thing if Walton ran as the independent
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #364 on: November 03, 2021, 04:06:59 AM »

Huge victory for Carl Paladino, Douglas Jemal, and the NY Republican Party. Major loss for Buffalo.

You mean - major win. A "normal liberal" won over extremist...
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #365 on: November 03, 2021, 04:09:46 AM »

Absolutely. But for some "progressive idiots" if you are not with them in 100% of cases - you are already "Trump Republican". No need to talk with people who doesn't have any brains...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #366 on: November 03, 2021, 06:10:28 AM »

Reminds me a lot of Murkowski in AK 2010 and Lieberman CT 2006.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #367 on: November 03, 2021, 06:12:25 AM »

I wonder how many of the Brown votes are from those push stamps.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #368 on: November 03, 2021, 07:55:11 AM »

You would not be sayi g the same thing if Walton ran as the independent

Again, she was 100% planning to. This is well known. It still wouldn't make either of the two Democrats a Republican.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #369 on: November 03, 2021, 04:00:01 PM »

Okay, maybe Walton wasn't the candidate we thought:

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2021, 04:01:28 PM »

Reminds me a lot of Murkowski in AK 2010 and Lieberman CT 2006.
I can see the parallels.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2021, 04:07:44 PM »

Local media did not cover these at all, but I'm not shocked to find out the progressive empress has no clothes.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #372 on: November 03, 2021, 04:12:16 PM »

Local media did not cover these at all, but I'm not shocked to find out the progressive empress has no clothes.

I’ve been a big advocate of her but she can get bent now
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #373 on: November 03, 2021, 04:16:50 PM »

I’ve been a big advocate of her but she can get bent now

I've worked with Democrats around here before and I can give you five unionized printing companies in a second lmao. Charter Schools, that's a more sensitive issue to me, but if I was running for Mayor? Of course I'm not going to open my mouth about it lmao.

Progressives Campaigning Like It's Twitter, Volume 10,461
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2021, 05:35:16 PM »

Oh.

Generally anyone who would have campaigned on a cohesive vision besides "Youngkin is Literally Trump". I saw the same playbook get rolled out in my state and we lost our State House majorities because of it. We have anti-vaxxers dictating COVID policy in New Hampshire because Democrats didn't articulate anything besides anti-Trumpism.

Maybe Lee Carter wouldn't have won, but I'm thinking someone like a Tom Perriello. JFC, one of the Lincoln Project goons probably would have done better than McAuliffe because they wouldn't have gotten complacent and allowed Youngkin to get the jump!

I respectfully suggest you are conflating a candidate's ideological appeal with campaign tactics.

For example,, if Lee Carter was the nominee, he could have run the most tactically flawless campaign in Virginia history,  and still would've lost by at least 10 points, likely closer to 15.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies