I know I'm not American but ................. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:33:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  I know I'm not American but ................. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I know I'm not American but .................  (Read 4042 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: July 06, 2005, 10:19:59 AM »

On these issues, I am...

Law and Order - Centre Right

I oppose death penality but support the rights of states to determine whether they want it or not and I support the three strikes mandatory sentencing

Economics - Centre Left

Economics: I'm a "new liberal" in the Keynesian tradition but not anti-business (see taxation), as well as being pro-labour unions. I support the national minimum wage

Environment - Centre Right

Green fields don't create jobs!

Ethnic Minority Rights - Centre

I'm broadly supportive of full civil rights for all citizens but I don't agree with positive discrimination (i.e. ethnic quotas in employment)

Gay & Womens Rights - Centre Left

I oppose same-sex marriages as sanctified by God but support civil unions. Same-sex couples to have the same rights as any other married couple

Foreign Policy - Centre Right

I'm a hawk and in the event of diplomacy failing would support redress without UN authorisation. The interests of the United States would not be compromised. What's good for the USA is good for the world!

Abortion - Centre Right

Personally, pro-life; however, I accept that their are occasions when abortion is necessary. So I support abortion as a matter of necessity and not a matter of choice

Drugs - Centre Left

I'm pretty much anti-drugs but accept that 'soft' drugs should be legalised for medical purposes and, possibly, decriminalised for recreational use

Taxation - Centre Left

I support progressive taxation and oppose flat rate - but I wouldn't tax punitively. Companies not outsourcing jobs and those paying above the minimum wage would be given incentives

Defence - Right

I don't favour reducing defence spending from existing levels and support the war in Iraq

I'm Episcopalian (Anglican) - probably closer to its evangelical (Low Church) tradition than to its Anglo-Catholic (High Church) tradition. My faith does inform my poltics and I embrace the Social Gospel (i.e. Christ's outreach to the poor) and the principle of social justice is very important to me

I support Christian prayer in public schools (though non-Christians and atheists and secularists can opt out)

Dave

Generally you sound pretty reasonable.

Just where do you stand on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 12:33:48 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.

Let me suggest to you that some people DO own tanks.  They are primarily retired military personnel who served in tanks.  They restore and love showing off their toys.

Also, there are privately owned bombers (again primarily owned by former Air Force personnel) who also love restoring and showing off their toys.

I remember there was a contest about four years ago in which a company offered a Harrier as the top prize. 

If I ever was rich enough to afford it, I would love to own (and fly) a Catalina amphibian (a patrol bomber).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 03:57:37 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2005, 04:00:41 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Thanks for the clarification.

Let me suggest to you that some people DO own tanks.  They are primarily retired military personnel who served in tanks.  They restore and love showing off their toys.

Also, there are privately owned bombers (again primarily owned by former Air Force personnel) who also love restoring and showing off their toys.

I remember there was a contest about four years ago in which a company offered a Harrier as the top prize. 

If I ever was rich enough to afford it, I would love to own (and fly) a Catalina amphibian (a patrol bomber).

As long as they are toys and not weapons I don't see any harm

Dave

We have a lot of people who purchase surplus military aircraft here and restore them.  Many of them then appear in movies and television shows.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies