Bush a Shoe In?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:32:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush a Shoe In?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush a Shoe In?  (Read 1590 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »

This certainly isn't a be all end all, but it is an interesting oppinion article from a paper and author not known to favor Bush.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/218908p-188030c.html

Why Bush is going to win

Kerry's a captive of the overbearing, elitist wing of his party

In 1972, The New Yorker's movie critic, Pauline Kael, won herself a place in political lore by expressing astonishment at the Republicans' 49-state landslide victory. "How could that be?" she demanded. "I don't know a single person who voted for Nixon."
I don't live in such a rarified world, but most of my friends are voting for John Kerry. And I imagine that a good many will be shocked when President Bush wins in November.

It is possible that no Democrat could beat Bush this year. The President has Ralph Nader on his side, and demography. Since the 2000 election, shifts in population have added seven electoral votes to the Red Bush states and subtracted seven from Goreland.

This alone might be enough to put Bush over the top in a tight race. But despite the polls, I don't think this election will be close, and this time the Democratic establishment won't be able to blame the Supreme Court. If they're fair, they'll blame themselves. Since this is politics, they'll blame the candidate.

John Kerry is not a bad man. He probably wouldn't make a bad President. But he is a bad candidate in a terrible situation. He represents the wing of the Democratic Party that is imbued with a sense of its own moral, intellectual, cultural and social superiority. In short, he is the standard bearer for the unbearable.

These people don't comprise a majority of the electorate or even Democratic voters (how could they and remain an elite?), but they have convinced themselves that they and their candidate - if packaged properly - will prove irresistibly attractive to lesser Americans.

Boston, with its flag-waving and saluting and balloon-blowing was supposed to be a commercial for this new and superior brand of politics. But Americans are expert TV watchers. A lot of them voted with their remotes. Those who did watch weren't impressed. The Democrats' much anticipated post-convention bump turned into a thud. George McGovern got one of those in 1972.

Kerry now has 90 days to convince voters that a Bush victory in November would be, as his wife put it in Milwaukee on Monday, "four more years of hell."

The problem is, most Americans don't regard their lives as "hell" or Bush as Satan. The economy, after all, is not really in a Great Depression. In fact, it's doing pretty well. Iraq isn't Vietnam, and won't be unless there's a draft. The Islamic jihad against America isn't Bush's fault, either. A candidate who insists otherwise is bound to strike voters as detached from reality.

Kerry ought to know this, and he may. But his party is dominated, as it was in 1972, by people who talk only to one another and who are convinced that everybody despises Bush. They will judge Kerry by how hard he goes after the Crawford Beelzebub.

Right now the polls look even. But that's an optical illusion. The President has a Republican convention coming up and the power of incumbency to shape events between now and November. In other words, he's way ahead.

Kerry is a weak campaigner. Barring some kind of national disaster, his best shot is the debates. Democratic true believers think he'll kill Bush, one on one. That's what they thought about Al Gore, too.

Calling a presidential race in August is risky, especially a race that's supposedly close. But no guts, no glory. Bush will beat Kerry in a walk. If I'm right, you read it here first. If not, well, even Pauline Kael got it wrong once in a while.

Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 02:27:15 PM »

Some good points, but I wouldn't say shoe in. The "anybody but Bush" combined with pit-bull Democrats eager to get revenge on Bush for 2000 will make it very close.
ijohn57s

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 08:21:53 PM »

There's no such thing as a shoe-in, but I'd be shocked if Bush doesn't win. Especially now with Kerry's fellow swiftboat veterans hitting him so hard.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 01:54:40 AM »

There's no such thing as a shoe-in, but I'd be shocked if Bush doesn't win. Especially now with Kerry's fellow swiftboat veterans hitting him so hard.

I heard these men were paid for phonies
MarkDel

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 02:26:04 AM »

Supersoulty,

While I would not call Bush a "shoe-in" I will say that this article is right on target. I give the author a lot of credit for touching on an issue which the mainstream, left wing dominated media loves to ignore. The fact is that over 80% of TV and print media are left wing or far left wing according to their own self-identification, so they do not see the world the way most of America does.

And the criticism of Kerry and the Democrats representing the "cultrual elite" more than everyday people is right on target as well.
nomorelies

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 09:20:33 AM »

Supersoulty - is bush a shoe- in with 32,000 new jobs in July?
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 10:06:18 AM »

Boston, with its flag-waving and saluting and balloon-blowing was supposed to be a commercial for this new and superior brand of politics. But Americans are expert TV watchers. A lot of them voted with their remotes. Those who did watch weren't impressed. The Democrats' much anticipated post-convention bump turned into a thud. George McGovern got one of those in 1972.

Does that take into account the people that maybe don't want to watch a whole week of delegates GETTING NOTHING DONE!

Sorry, but a convention only interests me if delegates go into a convention having no idea who will represent them when they come out. If you've already pretty much announced your candidate months before, then why bother to spend gobs of money on a convention where the delegates are supposed to meet up and vote on a candidate?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 10:39:04 PM »

Boston, with its flag-waving and saluting and balloon-blowing was supposed to be a commercial for this new and superior brand of politics. But Americans are expert TV watchers. A lot of them voted with their remotes. Those who did watch weren't impressed.
I'm not sure where the writer got the impression that those who watched the Democratic National Convention were not impressed.  According to this Gallup poll, 52% of viewers thought that John Kerry's acceptance speech was either excellent or good, with 19% more calling it "okay".  Only 9% thought it was either poor or terrible.  Also, according to this ABC News/Washington Post poll, over 10% of the American people changed their minds regarding who they trust more with pretty much every issue facing America.  The most dramatic change is that Kerry and Bush are now pretty well statistically tied regarding who would do a better job in Iraq and in the war on terrorism; previously Bush had had on average a 15-point lead on Kerry in the former and a 20-point lead on Kerry in the latter.

Of course, all of this may change before November.  Maybe Bush will get a huge bounce following his convention.  Maybe he'll flop and Kerry will surge ahead.  However, at this point, the election could still easily go either way and I personally believe that any people who think that either Bush or Kerry is a shoo-in at this point are fooling themselves.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »

Gore was a shoe-in in 2000.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 03:33:25 PM »

Supersoulty - is bush a shoe- in with 32,000 new jobs in July?

I was only reporting what this guy wrote, for one and for another, there were nearly 20 times as many jobs added according to the Household survey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies