North Korea Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:36:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  North Korea Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34
Author Topic: North Korea Mega Thread  (Read 79524 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »

I think at this point, we should just ignore what Trump says on the subject of North Korea. He's obviously making statements off the cuff.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

To be objective, "We'll see what happens" doesn't mean Trump is planning an attack. Like a great deal of what he says, what it really translates to is "I didn't do my homework". Sadder yet, it's not some sort of temporary cover while he goes and figures things out. He will never bother to learn anything about Korea, nor will he delegate and listen to people who do. He'll keep giving macho BS answers and making threats until either A) other people fix the problem, B) enough other stuff happens that people stop asking him about it, C) he has a tantrum (and starts a major war), or D) he dies, is jailed, or has a total mental breakdown.

Note that this, plus E) find some suckers and take their money,  is Trump's MO for everything.
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »

Would Trump have to get a declaration of war from congress if he wanted to launch a preemptive strike?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »

Would Trump have to get a declaration of war from congress if he wanted to launch a preemptive strike?
Good question. I fear that the answer is "no". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »

Good question. I fear that the answer is "no". Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you're right. Congress is more for declaring war, but the War Powers Act did curb some presidential powers
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

I still want to hope that Trump is smart enough to realise what the consequences would be of a strike, but now I'm not so sure...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »

I still want to hope that Trump is smart enough to realise what the consequences would be of a strike, but now I'm not so sure...

Based on performance to date, any statement that starts "I hope Trump is smart enough..." is probably wishful thinking.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »

Nope.

If I recall correctly he has to give them written information to Congress within 60 days.

I could be wrong but there's a host of air strikes that haven't had DOW in the last 30 years.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2017, 12:48:39 AM »

North Korea trolls so hard. The idea that they'd launch an ICBM to fly past way past Seoul and Tokyo to hit Guam is such a joke.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:29 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/11/china-pledges-neutrality-unless-us-strikes-north-korea-first.amp.html

China pledges neutrality if North Korea attacks U.S., will get involved if there is a preemptive strike.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #385 on: August 11, 2017, 07:33:37 AM »

Oh lord...
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #386 on: August 11, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »

Well that's it.  Armageddon time.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #387 on: August 11, 2017, 07:44:24 AM »

Its basically a new asian cold war. If North Korea makes a move, they'll loose China and any war they fight. If the United States makes a move, it means fighting both North Korea and China. So neither party is going to move. Trump hopefully wont because hes surrounded by Generals who know better. North Korea wont because Kim Jung Un's sole goal is survival.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #388 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:15 AM »

Trump will start a nuclear war with both North Korea and China, and I'll go to the gas chamber.

If North Korea "provokes", China won't get involved immediately but it will eventually.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #389 on: August 11, 2017, 07:50:52 AM »

Trump will start a nuclear war with both North Korea and China, and I'll go to the gas chamber.

If North Korea "provokes", China won't get involved immediately but it will eventually.

Wut?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2017, 07:57:01 AM »

Its basically a new asian cold war. If North Korea makes a move, they'll loose China and any war they fight. If the United States makes a move, it means fighting both North Korea and China. So neither party is going to move. Trump hopefully wont because hes surrounded by Generals who know better. North Korea wont because Kim Jung Un's sole goal is survival.

Kim Jong Un is absolutely insane, he  knows hes on borrowed time in his country before he gets assassinated so the way i see it, he's not looking to survive, hes looking to take out as many people as he can with him
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #391 on: August 11, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »

Kim Jong Un is absolutely insane, he  knows hes on borrowed time in his country before he gets assassinated so the way i see it, he's not looking to survive, hes looking to take out as many people as he can with him

Which isn't a great thing to do when trying to make sense of foreign policy.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: August 11, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

I can't believe China is threatening a strike on the US...
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #393 on: August 11, 2017, 08:02:29 AM »

Once communists always communists.

I can't believe China would defend such an idiotic leader like Kim.

Part of me wants to economically punish China for this, but that would just make things worse.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #394 on: August 11, 2017, 08:03:39 AM »

Part of me wants to economically punish China for this, but that would just make things worse.

We're going to be nuking China soon, around the time they nuke us. Would that count as economic punishment, or just making things worse?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #395 on: August 11, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »

We're going to be nuking China soon, around the time they nuke us. Would that count as economic punishment, or just making things worse?

I meant sanctions for pledging to support an oppressive dictatorship.

If China were to nuke us, of course we should retaliate with something.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #396 on: August 11, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »

Chill. China is trying to prevent war, not start it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #397 on: August 11, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »

While an escalation, don't read too much into this. This is an opinion piece in The Global Times. It's much closer to being China's version of Fox News than an official government source.  
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #398 on: August 11, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »

If we see out Auggust and no one does any more stupid saber-rattling, will we be in the clear for a time?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #399 on: August 11, 2017, 08:34:10 AM »

While an escalation, don't read too much into this. This is an opinion piece in The Global Times. It's much closer to being China's version of Fox News than an official government source.  

It is, however, their real position. The piece has one message for the US and one for NK. Interesting, the message to NK is reported as the headline in the US press, and that is what most people are reacting to, but not the message to the US.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies