The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:39:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Senate Fair Participation Act (Failed)  (Read 1744 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:29 PM »

I'm really torn on term limits. One half says it's a good way, as this Bill intends, to inject fresh blood. The other half is concerned that we might well force out good and active Senators unnecessarily and while we've had some fantastic Senate races of late, that enthusiasm might not last and we end up with some... less-than-ideal candidates.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »

Competitiveness, however, is not a natural state. It tends to be driven a few external factors that do ebb and flow in Atlasia.

So I'm wary of putting the Senate the mercy that when a term ends, the Senate doesn't lose someone experienced and active, only to be replaced by someone who might be a down-grade.

I'm not dismissing this as an idea, but I'm definitely very wary of this particular step to address problems.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »

I certainly understand the view of term-limits. Considering the role of the president is different and serves a different purpose, it make more sense to term limit the role. I don't necessarily see it as a panacea to issues for the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies