Alberta 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:27:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta 2012  (Read 89621 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »

Why does everyone assume that the many of the remaining NDP and Grit supporters will strategically vote for the PCers? The MLPs are the same troupe of right-wingers that they've opposed for decades and presumably most Blue Liberals are already supporting Redford.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »

This is getting pretty disturbing. It's like a reflection of the Tea Party's takeover of the GOP here just in a different party.

Kind of, but I'd the WRP is more like mainstream Republicans, while the Tories (especially under Redford) are like mainstream Democrats.

I think your Canadian bias is coming out here. Tongue

The WRP is almost a carbon copy of the latest dominant wave of movement conservatism down here in the states. It does have a distinctly western flavor and reminds me a lot of the modern Idaho GOP's rhetoric. In general, Albertan politics reminds me of Idahoan politics in style, rhetoric and even the demographic divides to an extent. The PCs are like perceived RINOs in Idaho. Some of them are simply attached to an older form of conservatism that doesn't worship market dogma and some of them are legitimate moderates. The Grits are like the old strain of moderate (DLC that control the party) and conservative Democrats (assorted legislators, Cecil Andrus). The NDP/CCF are like the up and coming progressive Democrats of Boise but who have had a long past in various populist and labor movements.

I'm probably really off base here though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies