Biggest state surprises of the 1992 election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:44:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Biggest state surprises of the 1992 election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biggest state surprises of the 1992 election  (Read 6131 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »

I wish I had been old enough to pay attention to the 92 election. It really was a big realignment with so many states changing allegiances.

Surprise Clinton States: NJ, VT, NH, CA, NV (All of them has been strong R previously)

Surprise Bush States: Basically every southern state he won. I'm sure in 1992 people would have expected a victorious southern Democrat to sweep the south, but Bush was still strong here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuabs7WCQKQ
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »

You gotta hand it to Clinton. A year out from the election Bush seemed invincible and out of the Dems who had a prayer Clinton was last on the list. But he ran a great campaign that managed to win back a lot of support from southerners while finally picking up the blue states that had been slowly moving away from the Republicans. I would love to see another Clinton who could win Tennessee, California, Vermont and Montana.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »

The biggest surprise in my opinion was New England (not a single state, but still). The only Election where the Democrats had won all the states of New England was Johnsons landslide victory in 1964. Bush did a lot better than Goldwater, but he still lost every single state in New England and the Northeast in general to Clinton. Even when Ford lost the General Election in 1976 he won several of these states.

Bush was desperate in 1992 and made his campaign all about the "culture wars" (ugh) which probably handed him several southern states but alienated him in New England and the northeast. I think 1992 was the final straw for yankee Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies